Author Topic: 'nother build  (Read 12581 times)

Whatever you and/or Phreak did...its not fun *COUGH* UNPLAYABLE

Don't tell me it's just me. Someone else is bound to encounter this eventually. I get the impression from your responses to my pleas that you aren't taking me seriously, so I whipped that image up. In it you can CLEARLY see that OpenGL has NO HUD now. Techroom works...UNTIL I enter a mission, then even if I manage to blindly make my way back to the main hall and the techroom I see nothing but blackness where the interface should be. In-mission, the screen doesn't change if I hit an interface key --- it just remains showing the FUBARed cockpit.

I can't take a screenshot of all menus refusing to render unless you want my screenshot of it, but all it looks like is the same as the left side of the graphic above.

Until this is looked into I will have to stick with your Cumulative Build --- its the last good one I've got from this forum. Unfortunately, that build doesn't have the beautiful new cockpit view from a fixed camera clipping (which I suspect somehow might have been responsible!) This problem occurred ever since some test build in some thread somewhere where the cockpit clipping was changed to fix the rendered Perseus cockpit view so it actually showed the displays. I'm not sure who did that.

In any case, SOMETHING got terminally messed with between the time of the Cumulative Build, and either this build of yours, or Phreak's CVS update build. I fear the worst if this is in CVS...does this mean that every future build I run will be like this? I have YET to receive a reply from Phreak on his CVS build's thread... :shaking: :sigh: :(
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 06:41:14 pm by 1644 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I believe you, it's just I haven't been able to come up with anything off the top of my head that seems like it would cause that. And up until today (And maybe past today, if Taylor's fix for libjpeg doesn't work) I haven't been able to do anything as far as source code is concerned.

Now that I've gotten a chance to think about it, it may be the call to gr_set_proj_matrix I added in the ship rendering function. That it stopped in the build that I added that call seems like a pretty big smoking gun.

Does the problem happen if you remove the show ship flag or fly a ship without it? If it doesn't, that call to gr_set_proj_matrix is almost certainly the reason.
-C

Ah, that's the one thing I haven't tested.
I'll turn my show ship mod off (I did a Find and Replace on SHIPS.TBL's flags to enable Show ship on ALL fighters)

...and see what happens.
Bear in mind however that showing ships was fine before, although due to the cockpit clipping problems before, it well didnt show much of a cockpit. :D

Will update this post if I get any results...stay tuned.

UPDATE: :D
BINGO...
Turned Show Ship mod off, HUD renders just as it used to.
Looks like the problem has been identified, then? :)

P.S. I noticed a prob in a special build following or within the WHY?!?!! thread. Not long after that thread, "nother build" & "phreaks latest CVS build" were posted, & well u know the rest. At least I now know I can continue testing the latest builds w/o ship cockpit rendering on, until this issue is resolved.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 05:41:39 pm by 1644 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Yeah, I just posted a thread in the SCP internal asking about the OGL specifics. It looks like I'm ending up push()ing a lot of stuff without pop()ing it.

That part's OGL specific, so to devise a non-hackish solution I probably need to either end the current projection matrix or make a special function (in both D3D and OGL modes) to set the clipping/perspective view.
-C

Offline starfox

I've got Radeon 9600 XT with excatly the same problems on my Hud. Really wierd stuff.  When I attempt to exit the mission, EVERYTHING goes black.
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP