Author Topic: 20050722 build  (Read 18158 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
Normally it just freezes. With -novbo it CTD's, the same thing happens with -noibx. Both spew the following error log:

* throws a Coke bottle at Goober for not including a mapfile *

Just a guess but it looks like a problem with the hud code.  If that's the case I think I've compensated for it.  Still not sure what the deal is with it freezing though.  If you want to try, delete all of your IBX files and run the game with -pofspew.  That will regenerate all of IBX files at once (but takes a while).  As a wild guess I assume that one or more IBX files have bad data in it and it's hitting a driver problem when it tries to make a VBO.  Makes sense given that -novbo crashes the same as -noibx (I guess you aren't using them together?).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Col. Fishguts
- When I die, the camera is inside my ship, instead of outside looking at my ship.
Bug in WMC's camera code, perhaps?
- What happened to the default turret positions (dorsal turrets forward/ventral turrets backward) ?
The way this was done caused lots of bugs with the rest of the turret code, so we removed it.  We'll put it back in if we can find a way to do it without screwing anything else up.
Originally posted by taylor
* throws a Coke bottle at Goober for not including a mapfile *
:nervous:

Okay, I'm updating the build with the latest CVS and a mapfile. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Goober5000
The way this was done caused lots of bugs with the rest of the turret code, so we removed it.  We'll put it back in if we can find a way to do it without screwing anything else up.:nervous:

Oh, it caused such a fuss about backwards compatibility that I didn't make another try (although I thought I figured out how to do it properly)

If turrets start behaving oddly, please complain. :p I tried the new thing on a few missions that were broken last time and it seems to work. CVS'd it as well, since apparently we aren't releasing 3.6.7 anytime soon. :blah:
-C

Offline redmenace

I was in the lab and when I clicked exit i got this error.
Error: Could not load in 2_MainHall1-m!
File:E:\Languages\Visual Studio Projects\Visual C++\fs2_open\code\MenuUI\MainHallMenu.cpp
Line: 1043
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Oh, it caused such a fuss about backwards compatibility that I didn't make another try (although I thought I figured out how to do it properly)
Whichever way the turrets point is cosmetic.  But for some reason your earlier fix was screwing up the turret ai.

hey, i just got to the 5th mission in the normal campaign, first nebula mission.....and guess what i met there...

A DISCO VERSION OF THE AQUATAIN!

i dunno what the hell is with this...every ship in the nebula had like a coating of bright greens and purples and reds...all blended into each other.. got any ideas?

im using this...

E:\freespace2\fs2_open_G-20050722.exe -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -rlm -nobeampierce -dualscanlines -targetinfo -orbradar -ballistic_gauge -smart_shields -mpnoreturn  -spec_point 0.6 -spec_exp 11 -spec_static 0.8 -spec_tube 0.4 -cache_ani -mpnoreturn -spec

another thing i would like to ask...what is this smart sheilds buisness ? what does it do exactly?
Teknðs vagyok

kaka pohárban

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Smart sheilds:

With it off if you have 1 sheild quadrant fully charged energy normaly going into it will be "wasted"

With it on energy normaly going into it will be redistributed across the other quadrants (i think)
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
I thought it meant it put all available power due to charge the 4 quadrents into the lowest quadrent instead...

Either way, its a very bad idea to use a command line when you don't know what it does...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
if you want to see smart shields in action, play whichever training mission focuses on shields.  do it with it off and then on.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Mav

I get several of the bugs mentioned here (with both 0715 and 0719):
- splash screen mis-sizing
- text-underscores (using the Geforce-fix; since I have a Geforce card I didn't consider uncheking it)
- death camera stuck in my ship's interior (but now and then this looks quite nice ;7 )
- new engine effects only appear on some ships (but that might be due to me missing some files or the like)
- getting white squares sometimes, as mentioned by NeoStorm in the 0715-thread
- getting a funny crash (see below)

The white squares thingy possibly is something .ani/.eff-related as I get it also with explosions and the like, too
(now and then even with those dust particles that are all over the place :nervous: ).
It's happening rather rarely though.

Also, both of them crash whenever I try to get back to Windows; except when I haven't flown any mission that is.

System stats:
- WinXP (not sure which SP, possibly SP1)
- Geforce 6600
- 2 GB RAM
- 4 GB VRAM
- several GB free HD space
- P4 540 3,2 GHz
- some weird sound-chip (works rather well, though)
- DirectX 9.0c

Will do a bit more testing the next days (with the 0722-build, presumably). :)

[edit:
flags: -glow -jpgtga -nobeampierce -mpnoreturn -2d_poof -3dwarp -snd_preload; maybe some others I forgot;
running in D3D
]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 02:21:01 pm by 1266 »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline WMCoolmon

- new engine effects only appear on some ships (but that might be due to me missing some files or the like)

I've actually just noticed this recently, as well.

- death camera stuck in my ship's interior (but now and then this looks quite nice  )

This actually is probably my fault, something in the view_setup function not being called until the ship is completely destroyed (For me, the ship usually spins out of control, then when it explodes the camera goes to the right spot.)
-C

Offline Solatar

I think it looks semi-decent (preferred the other way) because I get to see myself crash into whatever capship shot me down..

Based on some comments here, I changed to OGL, and almost all of my problems (splash sizing, horrible aliasing, etc) went away.  Env-mapping seems to work better too.  A pox on DX.

Offline Fenrir

• ?
...I thought OGL didn't have environment mapping.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Not publicly anyway...

Unless someone hacked my hardware firewall, my server firewall, my workstation firewall, hacked my workstation, somehow manage to find which of my 7 fs2_open code trees actually has the working OGL envmapping code, hacked into the CVS server, and committed the code without there being a record of it.

If such a person existed, I'm sure the NSA would like your resume. :)

Offline WMCoolmon

Hey, all four of your passwords were "kitten", and you know how unreliable CVS-

....errr, moving on... :nervous: :p
-C

Harry Potter did it. :nod:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Goob, I don't get a chance to actually play or test FS2 often these days, so don't get upset if this is a bit old.  I posted the following bug over at Mantis:

http://lore.maxgaming.net/~scp/mantis/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=0000485

Basically, for some reason your 07-15 build and anything since then, are overriding the fighterbay departure location.  I've got a wing of fighters that depart through the fighterbay of a destroyer, but now they just warp out where they are.  In fact, even if the warp effect is disabled via the checkbox, they still generate them.  If I play this under Taylor's 07-02 build... no problems.  In the bug report, I said that it could be linked to the FRED fix where it would delete the specified target ship from the departure cue, but a quick check reveals that this fix predates Taylor's 07-02 build, so its not that.

Also, I didn't Mantis the following bug, since I haven't done enough testing to narrow down the offending build, but in your latest at least, movies are once again broken.  I tested this both with and withoug the new command line about not rendering videos to the window or something.

I'll test a bit more.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Goober, I'm getting some fun, fun errors in the techroom.  No mods, no extra VPs beyond the mv_core.vp, either.

What is this?  I haven't tested it with a mission, this was too weird for me...

Fenris
Leviathan Faustus, to show that not everything's generating an error
Hippocrates

I'm running a 2.3 GHz processor with 1024 MB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 4  MX 4000.

These shots were taken in OpenGL.

Flags: -spec -glow -jpgtga -2d_poof -ship_choice_3d -targetinfo -fps

EDIT: And it doesn't happen in Direct3D mode.  :confused:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 07:59:00 pm by 1668 »
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline redmenace

Try regenerating your IBX files. In other words, go into data/cache and delete all of the files then restart. Hopefully that will help.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat