Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.2 + FSPort Media VPs 3.6.12 Discussion!  (Read 42538 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
FreeSpace Port 3.2 + FSPort Media VPs 3.6.12 Discussion!
It starts here!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.2 + FSPort Media VPs 3.6.12 Discussion!
Let's just chalk this up as the Summer of FreeSpace.  This is awesome. :D

(Unfortunately, at the rate the download of this uber-huge file is going, it might not be until fall before I get to play with it. :p)

So does this download include all of the different versions of mjn.mixael's hi-res cutscenes, or just the 1080p ones?  I already have the 720p set downloaded, since my machine sort of chokes on the full-sized ones.  Maybe it's just the 4+ hours left on my download talking, but I can't help but wonder if it would have been wiser to split things up a bit, so people don't wind up downloading components they may not need.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
IIRC this includes the 720p cutscenes, as they're the ones most people can use with a balance between quality and performance. And you're almost certain to want to download the whole package, because every VP has been updated. Even the cutscenes package is tweaked. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ooh, 1.2GB. Definately have to wait for my day off before I snag this.

Also, WOOT RAVE SHIVANS!

Offline Solatar

*****in'.  I just started a playthrough of FS1 2 hours ago.  Glad you released this before I got too much further.  :yes:

Gah, only a complete package download? Damn, I'll be waiting for ages to grab this.

Any chance we'll be able to grab the different components of this release seperately? Also, will there be a 3.6.12 update released for Silent Threat: Reborn?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:31:06 pm by starwolf1991 »
Previous Projects: Ancient-Shivan War | GTF Durandal

Current Projects: Exile: Into The Dark Waters (Proof-editing/misc)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I've spammed the HLP Facebook wall. I'll take a look at it over the weekend myself, if I have the time. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Also, will there be a 3.6.12 update released for Silent Threat: Reborn?

Yep, we're just waiting on a few things. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
There's something horribly wrong with the HTL Anubis shine maps.
It's like, bright orange.

EDIT: did you use GIMP? Apparently its DXT5 exporter's broken at the moment, and it makes SHIIINY ships.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:23:11 pm by Droid803 »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sweet. Can't wait to um, how shall we say...... Relive my childhood. :nervous:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
There's something horribly wrong with the HTL Anubis shine maps.
It's like, bright orange.

It's definitely orange in PCS2 but it looks fine in-game (if a little glossy.) I used nvdxt to make the shine maps, with the same configuration I've always used. Of course I've never been very good at them.
A FSPort MediaVPs patch will pop up once VA has finished the Hades. If anyone wants to redo the Anubis shine maps using the new textures, be my guest.

Any chance we'll be able to grab the different components of this release seperately?

I tried that with the last release and it kind of made a mess of the release thread and the installation instructions. I figured 90% of players would want the whole shebang in one pack and let it download overnight instead of starting nine individual downloads.

Once someone mirrors it, they can split it into a three or four part 7z archive. Or someone can start seeding it on a torrent site. But by default it's much easier to follow the instructions this way.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Or use the FSO Installer, once it's updated.

Offline SC4RY_Z0MB13

• To trust is sometimes to surrender.
Much improved. Destroying the cargo containers in the Training mission has never looked better. The skybox in The Field of Battle could use a little work. It was rather jarring jumping from new nebulas and starboxes to the asteroid and planet.

Excelsior!

Darn Alpha 4 and his team-killing! Moving up to Hard has stopped me dead.
--Whether true or false, what is said about men often has as much influence on their lives, and particularly on their destinies, as what they do.
--Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
*having read release thread* *droooooooollllll*

I'm going to have to wait a bit before i download (other family members chewed up bandwidth this month :sigh:) but just what i see in the screenies (and what i've seen in previous threads) tells me how good this is. Hats off to all you guys for all of it; epic win simply could never cover it! :yes:

Would like to give extra pats on the back to Galemp for the technical spec anims and mjn.mixael for the cutscene upgrades; it's the little touches like those that make the Port so special and i apprechiate the time they must have taken. Those beam punch through effects from Cobra look impressive too.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:25:05 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Christ this file is enormous... :eek2:

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well I know what I'll be downloading at uni tomorrow :p

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Did the new release fix the problems with the faustus medical cruiser, the elysium medical cruiser and the medical cargo container?

Never mind I see they are fixed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 05:56:09 am by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
This is brilliant. Just a few questions:

How are the backgrounds for the missions picked? Because in the original, the nebulae in the first two proper missions are dark blue/green. For me, that was a key part of the atmosphere, and it made searching for the Vasudan fighters in the asteroid field so much more epic. In this one... they're all bright orange. Quite a contrast is all I'm saying.

Also, the weird asteroid-and-planet in The Field of Battle was fairly low-res for me... again, detracted from the atmosphere. Is that a fault on my end?

But seriously, apart from those two small issues, it's awesome.

CommanderDJ
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This is brilliant. Just a few questions:

How are the backgrounds for the missions picked? Because in the original, the nebulae in the first two proper missions are dark blue/green. For me, that was a key part of the atmosphere, and it made searching for the Vasudan fighters in the asteroid field so much more epic. In this one... they're all bright orange. Quite a contrast is all I'm saying.

Also, the weird asteroid-and-planet in The Field of Battle was fairly low-res for me... again, detracted from the atmosphere. Is that a fault on my end?

But seriously, apart from those two small issues, it's awesome.

CommanderDJ
I agree with both of these concerns, however there are reasons for them. Both of the first missions took place in Betelgeuse which has a red colour, so the team saw it fit to color the nebulae accordingly. I think.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
When "use models for weapons selection" is enabled the primary weapons still use the old selection outlines rather than the models.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.