Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613842 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
DOTA 2 - Win rate of 32% after 34 games. Sub-optimal. Though to be expected when playing against people who've had 1-2000 games.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Clear the room.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Gamecube)
I picked it up again after I ragequitted a few months ago to at least finish it (I was at Ganon's Castle already).
Of course I didn't remember a thing so had to use Zelda Dungeon and it seems that last time I had missed the fire arrows (apparently I was supposed to literally shoot the rising sun on the lake), and after a bit of toiling (who the hell remembers at this point that the sword can be used to deflect projectiles back at bosses?) I got to the end.
The aiming of the bow is till stupidly clunky, which makes Ganondorf much more difficult than it should, put a crossair on that first person view, dammit!
Ganon instead was easy enough, it took one fairy bottle but I didn't have to repeat the battle because the %*@ing magical arrows kept missing the target and I ran out of magic.
In general while it has a LOT of charm it's still rather clunky, with a camera that tends to get in the way, contextual controls that are often misleading and tutorials that repeat themselves to the point you'll probably break the A button in a futile attempt to skip them.

PS: also I don't understand the complaints about the water temple, to me it was the one dungeon that didn't exasperate me in some way.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I finished it without a guide or word of mouth hints back in the day. (Of release)

Majoras Mask is a pita though.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I finished it without a guide or word of mouth hints back in the day. (Of release)

Majoras Mask is a pita though.
Sincerely I was kinda fed up with some things, the thing to do with the fire arrow I tried a few times months ago but it didn't work, because it seems you had to wait a bit in stead of shooting the rising Sun right away like I did (at the time I thought that I missed something, thought it was optional and left it at that, I had to look it up now because of the spiderweb on the ceiling, woul have been nice if it could be burned with another methof like the bombchus), I HATE when games do that like I hated the scripted final mission of Star Wars Starfighter with the enemy fighter that was invulnerable until the story decided to grant you permission to shoot him down.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Reinstalled Naev. Coincidentally, they updated to 0.7.0 a few days ago.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Reinstalled Naev. Coincidentally, they updated to 0.7.0 a few days ago.
Wow, really? They put it on Steam, too. Maybe I should give it another whirl.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The Shadow Warrior reboot.  "Who wants some Wang?"
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Total Warhammer
Finally succeeded in plunging the world into ruin* playing as Malagor, the Dark Omen - Its pretty hard beating the Chosen of Chaos when there are no more human/elven/dwarven/vampire armies around to occupy the entourage of the Everchosen..

* this mean having destroyed all non-Beastmen and non-Ork factions; as both Orkz and Beastmen AIs randomly reappear after a while.

Final Fantasy XII Remake
I wish they had also remade the save-system so it is easier to pick-up and end a session.

... and planning my Gamescon trip...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Let me know if you are up for a coop or head to head Totalwarhammer campaign.  I am looking forward to trying one!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Let me know if you are up for a coop or head to head Totalwarhammer campaign.  I am looking forward to trying one!

A coop campaign would be nice ... I wanted to start again with the Von Carstein-Vampire Faction before the release of Total Warhammer 2
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Eine kleine X comme sie zwei.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I played House of the Dying Sun. That was one of the two as my birthday present.

House of the Dying Sun is basically Shattered Stars at the core, but as an anonymous alien player.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Homeworld 2: Remastered. Part two of the whole HW:R marathon, after first chapter.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Kingdom Death Monster, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 1 and I just bought Insanity Collection.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Finished Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom (Sega Mega Drive or "Sega Genesis" for the yanks)
I still do not understand why this game is considered the "black sheep" of the series, in many respects it's clearly superior to Phantasy Star II, less grinding, no stupidly convoluted dungeon, better told story, etc.
Yeah, the art style is completely different, almost like they wanted the sci-fi elements to be some sort of twist but all is undermined by the main hero recruiting a cyborg within the first hour or play which puts firmly the game in the same space fantasy territory of the first two games.

Started Phantasy Star IV: The End of The Millennium (Sega Mega Drive)
The first half-hour of game has more dialogues than the entirety of PSII, and even gave me a couple of chuckles.

I guess the decision of giving the game a more hefty cartridge (it's a 3mb rom vs the 768k roms of II and III) paid off.

Trying out Il-2 1946 with the BAT mod, after seeing a post with it on reddit a few moons ago. Seems ok, I guess. Engine flames make good looking shots. And the Singapore campaign feels utterly unwinnable when you're flying fat Hurricanes against Zeroes.

also in my install the beginning airfield is all the way in Endau instead of being anywhere near singapore, which is hilarious for no real good reason.

Trying out Il-2 1946 with the BAT mod, after seeing a post with it on reddit a few moons ago. Seems ok, I guess. Engine flames make good looking shots. And the Singapore campaign feels utterly unwinnable when you're flying fat Hurricanes against Zeroes.

also in my install the beginning airfield is all the way in Endau instead of being anywhere near singapore, which is hilarious for no real good reason.

You should play the Dutch campaign where you fly *BREWSTER BUFFALOS* against zeroes.

And you're not getting replacements because your home country is now nazi-owned.

Offline Rhys

Just finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. If you haven't heard of it, it's a relatively short, modestly priced ($30 USD) hack and slash/puzzle game with a central theme of mental illness. A lot of games have tried to depict what psychosis is like and none of them have gotten anywhere close to what these developers have managed to pull off. They actually worked with various psychiatrists and people suffering from mental illness to make the experience as authentic as possible, and speaking as someone who's experienced some mild psychosis before, they really nailed what it's like at times. They make use of binaural ASMR-like audio to give you the impression that there are voices right beside you as you play (wear headphones!). They rarely stop talking and will constantly command you, comment on, question, and criticize your actions. It was so surreal. I had to put the game down a few times because it got a bit overwhelming, but the story kept bringing me back.

Without spoiling too much, you play as this Pict warrior woman who's on a psychotic quest to venture into Viking hell to rescue her lover's soul. The combat is pretty basic, and nothing to really rave about, and there's a bit of backtracking required when solving puzzles that I found a bit tedious at times. Other than that, it's fantastic. It's one of the best looking games I've played so far, and the soundtrack is awesome. I really can't stop gushing about this game. It really kind of connected with me on a personal level to an extent. Very few games have been able to do that. That's what I got from it, anyway. I'm sure others will have a different view of it. Just my two cents.

I got Friday the 13th for my Birthday. It's pretty fine so far, a bit reptitive and could use allot more maps and characters. Tweaks to Jason would help too.

I've also decided to put some effort into replaying Xcom: Terror From the Deep to purge my mind of the abomination that is the new Xcom 2 DLC. But I ended up binging The Xcom Files instead. Which is basically a FMP/Pre Warp Start Base XcomL Ufo Defence game with extra types of missions. :D It's actually really great.