Author Topic: Can't launch game  (Read 2232 times)

Every time I try to launch the game I get an error saying "web cursor bitmap not found"

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
How are you launching the game? Are you double clicking on Diaspora.exe? Or using "Play" button in the launcher? Or something else?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Have tried both.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK.  The more info you can give about what's occurring, the easier it is for us to help you.

Having said that, what's the contents of your Diaspora install directory?

Also, what steps did you take to install Diaspora.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I installed R1.1 and R1.1.1

There's a data folder, two fred2 .exes, two fs2 .exes, R.1.1_Patch.vp, R1.1.1_Patch.vp, and the two uninstall files.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK, you don't seem to have installed the main game, just two of the patches. Start by uninstalling the patches (or just remove the directory if there's no uninstall option). Then download and run the full installer (~1.3GB)  from this thread or here. Then install both patches again in order.  After all that you should be ready to play.
----
----

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I was wondering if this might one day become an issue. I was somewhat pondering rolling all 3 downloads into a Diaspora 1.2 for anyone new (anyone who already has Diaspora would be okay). The problem would be replacing the links to the original and I don't know which would cause more problems both to newbies and people providing support.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
What about updating the patch installers to check that the main game is installed? i.e. see if the 7x R1 VPs are in the install directory and complain if they're not? (I say this with me having zero experience in creating windows installers...)
----
----

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That might be doable too. I'll look into it next time I build a patch.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]