Author Topic: No Force feedback/rumble/vibration on Hori Flightstick3  (Read 2073 times)

No Force feedback/rumble/vibration on Hori Flightstick3
Hi all!

I doubt this is really a problem with freespace per se, but you guys have big brains, and google hasn't been much help, probably because I don't have the technical knowledge to use the proper nomenclature.  :wtf:

I have a Hori Flightstick 3 HOTAS, which is a (rather rare, unfortunately) wired PS3 controller, designed primarily for Ace Combat, much like the FS2 (PS2) and the Ace Edge (360). The controller is compatible with windows via generic MS driver 6.1.7601.18199 (probably the problem).

The stick vibrates on the PS3, but not on FSO. Funnily enough, recently I had a 360 controller hooked up at the same time and even though the FS3 was the active controller, the 360 controller was still vibrating (this may be a bug, but it has awesome "Rez"-like possibilities, if somebody's really into rumble) even though it wasn't the active controller.

Once I felt how awesome the feedback is in this game, even with just rumble, I really felt like I was missing out with my otherwise awesome stick.

I don't know if FS supports specific controllers directly, or if maybe one of you could point me to a driver hacking forum where I could request someone make one for me, but I wanted to put the question out there, and offer every bit of useful info I could.

Here's the controller info from USBview and I'm attaching an FSO log in case anyone is interested in my system specs.

Code: [Select]
Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB:             0x0200
bDeviceClass:         0x00
bDeviceSubClass:      0x00
bDeviceProtocol:      0x00
bMaxPacketSize0:      0x40 (64)
idVendor:           0x0F0D
idProduct:          0x0018
bcdDevice:          0x1000
iManufacturer:        0x01
0x0409: "HORI CO.,LTD."
iProduct:             0x02
0x0409: "Flightstick3"
iSerialNumber:        0x00
bNumConfigurations:   0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected
Current Config Value: 0x01
Device Bus Speed:     Full
Device Address:       0x09
Open Pipes:              2

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress:     0x02
Transfer Type:   Interrupt
wMaxPacketSize:     0x0040 (64)
bInterval:            0x0A

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress:     0x81

Configuration Descriptor:
wTotalLength:       0x0029
bNumInterfaces:       0x01
bConfigurationValue:  0x01
iConfiguration:       0x00
bmAttributes:         0x80 (Bus Powered )
MaxPower:             0xFA (500 Ma)

Interface Descriptor:
bInterfaceNumber:     0x00
bAlternateSetting:    0x00
bNumEndpoints:        0x02
bInterfaceClass:      0x03 (HID)
bInterfaceSubClass:   0x00
bInterfaceProtocol:   0x00
iInterface:           0x00

HID Descriptor:
bcdHID:             0x0111
bCountryCode:         0x00
bNumDescriptors:      0x01
bDescriptorType:      0x22
wDescriptorLength:  0x0089

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress:     0x02

Endpoint Descriptor:
bEndpointAddress:     0x81

In short, I have an i3 on an asrock B75 Pro-3 mobo, a 8800GTS 512, and an Auzen Xplosion 7.1 sound card.....on Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I have (perhaps pointlessly) installed the lavendy rumble driver:
http://lavendy.net/special/driver/xi/index.html

I also tried Motionjoy, but I was just like 0_o

I've been searching for at least a week, because normally I'm pretty tenacious when it comes to internet research, and I didn't want to prematurely ask for help.....but I'm just clueless. Everything I find PS3 controller/driver related is geared toward Dual Shock 3s, which are bluetooth, and a completely different animal.

Thank you, awesome FSO peeps!  :D

Edit: In a fit of reckless wackiness, I tried installing the Saitek X45 driver (people often say that the AC sticks are just a copy of the X45) just to see if it would work. The USB driver didn't but surprisingly, the HID game controller driver actually did. I checked it in the controller config screen and everything. I then found out, in a twist of cruel & hilarious irony, that the Saitek X45 doesn't even have force feedback, so basically the driver does the exact same thing the old one did.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:57:46 pm by Billkwando »

Re: No Force feedback/rumble/vibration on Hori Flightstick3
Hi guys! I know I probably come off like an idiot, but can someone please try to point me in the right direction, or suggest a workaround?

I'm more than willing to beat the bushes for a solution....I just need someone to suggest a bush.  :banghead:

I tried editing the INF file in XBCD, but installing the HID controller driver got me no response (unlike the Saitek X45 and Logitech Cordless Rumblepad drivers I tried, which still allowed the controller to function) and installing the USB driver got me a BSOD (this is under "update driver" on the controller itself, in Devices and Printers). I'm wondering since the Logitech driver worked (in the sense that the controller still shows up and functions) that if I went into the INF file (if I could find where it lives) and added the hardware ID for mine, if that would fool it into thinking it's a rumblepad and make it rumble? Thoughts?

Thank you all, and have a great Thanksgiving, if you roll that way.  :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:17:51 pm by Billkwando »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
This sounds like something Nuke would be interested in... or might say something about... maybe. I'd say shoot him a PM, if nothing else but for ****s and giggles.

...By the way, that looks like a really nice stick. Of course, quality can't necessarily be determined by pictures. Any insight on the construction, precision, etc?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:30:22 pm by Thaeris »
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Online deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
That's the driver my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 uses, but the force feedback works fine on it.  I don't know if it has something to do with it having "true" force feedback (i.e. the stick will actively push against your hand) rather than rumble feedback?  I'm not much for the technical side of these kinds of things, but I am watching with interest.  Good luck!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.