Author Topic: Mod install  (Read 1500 times)

Hello I was use to you have the freespace  one included with the open freespace. I manually installed it and works great. Now  I need to make sure i understand the mods now.

I downloaded the Fsport 3.1.1  looks like I will need misson pack, plus hires pack.

So if I understand this

I unzip all this into a folder C://freespace2/FSport_one   than select the image for that mod correct? This is just getting me up to date :)

Offline Yarn

The FreeSpace Port needs to be installed in a folder called fsport, not FSport_one. A number of mods require it to be installed there. Also, FSPort 3.1.1 is old; the latest version is 3.4, which can be found here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84358.0. Make sure you delete your current FSPort installation first.

Actually, I suggest using the FreeSpace Open Installer, which you can get here: http://www.fsoinstaller.com/. (No, this is not the same installer that everyone was told to avoid like the plague a few years ago.) In addition to the main files, the installer can install a number of mods, including FSPort, and remove old files in the process.

If you ever need to install a mod manually, remember to read any installation instructions that come with that mod or that are in its release thread (if there is one). If a folder name is suggested, use it. If a mod is packaged with its files already in a folder other than "data," use that folder name. Otherwise, you can normally use any name you want.

And yes, you select a mod by selecting its image in the Mods tab, but you also need to click "Activate." That last step is important.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

From what I read the installer does not work with this new version 3.7.2RC3 that is why I did not use the installer. Yes someone needs to update the getting started page with new links etc :) I did not see this .

Here is the post in the getting started

Installer

"The installer no longer works. A new installer is being worked on, but it isn't finished yet. So for now, manual installation is the only install option. Don't worry, though, since manual installation is pretty easy."

Offline Yarn

The newest RC is RC4, which can be found here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88178.0 EDIT: The installer also installs 3.7.2 RC4.

Which "getting started" page are you referring to?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:20:26 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

That is an out dated page. There are many of those floating around. Just use the NEW installer and all your problems will go away.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87537.0;topicseen

I did the installer last night everything works great. I will try the RC4 today and see how it plays.  I was  using the 3.6.12 build before I had to install a new HDD and that ran ok But I had a older graphics card than. Now I got me a nvidia 640 GT now.  I was thinking how to backup this game I figured out just copy the whole freespace 2 to my bak up drive which I did.  I am one of the few in the world that still has both of the retail boxed freespace 2 and freespace the great war.  I too never wanted it to die. Thanks for doing this work guys. I could take pics if anyone likes? :)

I tried the new build 3.7.2RC4 and the video flashes to the point i can not play the game I had to go back to 3.7.2RC3 SSE all works fine with that build.  I did find that my graphics card has a new update I will install that and see if that helps.

Update

I installed the new drivers though that did not work. I did remember I got the hi res pack and that was my issue I did not have my screen resolution high enough duh. 1920 X 1080 works great but for the small text I am getting old.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:32:47 pm by gamerman »