Author Topic: Free look view doesn't work again?  (Read 1397 times)

Free look view doesn't work again?
Good evening everyone!
I've been trying to get "Free Look View" to work this evening, and it does not appear to have any effect when the default key, keypad 0, is depressed.  Even while simultaneously moving the mouse that is otherwise steering the ship.  I only got the idea after I saw some youtube video of a mod that appeared to be rocking it with an ace combat style free cockpit.  I do not know what the mod was I'm afraid.
I found all this stuff talking about how this used to not work back in 2012, including this Mantis Ticket, 0002713, that's since "resolved".  Something about TrackIR? (<-That'll be fun someday!)
While researching, I've been put under the impression that yes, holding down 0 on the keypad is supposed to enable some kind of head swiveling perspective, but I haven't seen it for myself yet.
Is it not working again, or perhaps I've completely misunderstood what to expect in the first place I wonder?
Please advise; any help would be appreciated.  Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'll do with this right stick on my ps3 controller.  Probably try to map it to throttle or something (lame!).
Thank you!!

Re: Free look view doesn't work again?
I've always thought that Free Look View was used for when you're not using the mouse for anything at all. No matter what I do though, Free Look View doesn't do anything for me either.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:35:26 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Maybe the mod you saw was Diaspora? That video would have been recorded by someone using TrackIR which is currently supported and works in all FSO based mods (although you really need a cockpit instead of the standard HUD for it to work well).

I think that Free Look mode is supposed to work the same way as TrackIR does except controlled by buttons/keys instead of head movement.

The ticket you saw (2713) was resolved in the Antipodes branch which hasn't been merged into the main code branch yet.  That's planned after 3.7.2 is released. So unfortunately the end result is that Free Look mode doesn't currently work in 3.7.0 or 3.7.2RC4.

edit: fix typo
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:42:06 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Maybe the mod you saw was Diaspora? That video would have been recorded by someone using TrackIR which is currently supported and works in all FSO based mods (although you really need a cockpit instead of the standard HUD for it to work well).

I think that Free Look mode is supposed to work the same way as TrackIR does except controlled by buttons/keys instead of head movement.

The ticked you saw (2713) was resolved in the Antipodes branch which hasn't been merged into the main code branch yet.  That's planned after 3.7.2 is released. So unfortunately the end result is that Free Look mode doesn't currently work in 3.7.0 or 3.7.2RC4.

Oh, well that explains why it doesn't work for me either. :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Pad Lock view does currently work, although that's obviously different to Free Look (i.e. with pad-lock your view is locked to your current target)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

You guys are awesome for those fast super helpful replies!
I'm happy because now at least I can quit obsessing over it.  : )
Thank you!

You guys are awesome for those fast super helpful replies!
I'm happy because now at least I can quit obsessing over it.  : )
Thank you!

You're welcome! Of course, I give niffiwan all the credit because I think all I contributed was the confirmation that it doesn't work for me either. lol :)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think that Free Look mode is supposed to work the same way as TrackIR does except controlled by the mouse instead of head movement.

FTFY.

Dedicated camera slew keys are also slated to be in the antipodes build. If I can ever get around to doing the controls code overhaul.

* z64555 sighs heavily
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think that Free Look mode is supposed to work the same way as TrackIR does except controlled by the mouse instead of head movement.

FTFY.

Dedicated camera slew keys are also slated to be in the antipodes build. If I can ever get around to doing the controls code overhaul.

* z64555 sighs heavily
I most definitely recall it being controlled by my flight keys, not just the mouse.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.