Author Topic: RELEASE - Into the Halls of Valhalla  (Read 30045 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Re: RELEASE - Into the Halls of Valhalla
Explain.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well, for example it wasn't incredibly smart from admiral Harkov to give you a space fighter before trying to kill you.

Had I been Harkov, I would just have had the player thrown into brig - or possibly arranged some kind of an accident, but honestly - it's like letting a crocodile get into water and then jump there yourself to try and kill him.

Besides, if the conspirators would be smart, what chance would the GTVA Command ever have of managing to beat the conspirators - even with the help of indestructible, unbeatable pilot? :lol:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I felt the missions were quite well done.  Many of them had a much smaller scale, tactical feel to them which has been lacking in a lot of compaigns lately.  I experienced no technical problems whatsoever.  What was the Valhalla's main gun though?  It definitely wasn't a bean cannon...

There were a few little things though...The dialog was awkward in some places and the ending was slightly anti-climactic.  Nothing major though.  The idea about having McCarthy come back was really original. 

Although I leave you with a parting thought:

Aldiss says something about a secret.  Then I shot him with a pair of Trebuchets.  Then "Campaign Finished."

Campaign Finished?  Campaign Finished?!?  What was the secret??? 

Or were you saving that for the sequel?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
The Valhalla's main gun looked like a Lucifer Flux Cannon derivative of some sort.

I liked the end of the campaign, personally... Very mysterious. "For the sake of your own safety..."  :nod:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Admiral Harkov belonged to McCrae's forces and he lied to General Lindres about your new assignment. It was Lindres who provided you with a fighter.

The Valhalla's main gun was taken from FreeSpace 1 where it was the main guns of the Lucifer. I know I could have done a better weapon, I only used that old thing for the sake of nostalgy. I could change it any time if people complain much about it.

Honestly, I don't have a clue what the ending was supposed to mean, really. I did everyhing as was written in the mission descriptions. The original version said that he says something that leads toward Blackwater Operations and two Banshees arrive and blow him up.

As for a sequel, I don't know if I plan to make one. Whatever time I spend doing FreeSpace stuff will be spent with MindGames and Machina Terra.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Admiral Harkov belonged to McCrae's forces and he lied to General Lindres about your new assignment. It was Lindres who provided you with a fighter.

Different time (long time ago), different galaxy (far, far away to be exact) and different game. ;7

The Harkov example was just my response in TrashMan's comment of all conspiracy campaigns suffering from stupidity of conspirators, and someone demanding an explanation thereof...

Admiral Harkov from legendary game, Tie Fighter, is excellent example of this. Instead of just slitting the players throat, he plotted an ingenious scheme which consisted of giving the player a space fighter and putting him into an asteroid field to clear it out... then he expected his line pilots to be able to finish a pilot who had supposedly hundreds of kills, was the elite of the elite, belonged to "Emperor's Inner Circle", etc. etc. :p

I actually don't think Harkov made a cameo in this campaign...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Hi, I've just installed this mod and I've found a small design flaw. In the first mission you are said you cannot change ship/weapons but you actually can. Also you start in Ares by default but in Briefing your squad is shown as Perseus.

EDITED --------

Another issue. In "Prison Run" you end the mission by Alt-J instead of returning to base as in other missions.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 03:39:02 pm by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Different time (long time ago), different galaxy (far, far away to be exact) and different game. ;7

I actually don't think Harkov made a cameo in this campaign...

Of course he didn't, I was just checking you were paying attention.

Hi, I've just installed this mod and I've found a small design flaw. In the first mission you are said you cannot change ship/weapons but you actually can. Also you start in Ares by default but in Briefing your squad is shown as Perseus.

As far as I remember, I could not change my loadouts. But I'm not sure. As for the briefing flaw: well, this happens. It happened all the time during [V]'s campaign as well, so consider that I preserved a tradition. :) Actually, no, my mistake,

Another issue. In "Prison Run" you end the mission by Alt-J instead of returning to base as in other missions.

It's because GNG Base and Tania Australis Outpost are two different installations. In Prison Run, your mission is near the GNG Base and have to jump back to Tania Australis Outpost when the mission is complete.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 11:31:37 am by TopAce »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

Hi, I've just installed this mod and I've found a small design flaw. In the first mission you are said you cannot change ship/weapons but you actually can.

As far as I remember, I could not change my loadouts. But I'm not sure.

I've just checked with FRED and that mission hasn't got the "Scramble Mission" Tick enabled...

Another thing, maybe an SCP bug, but I want to be sure before mantising. In the seventh mission (1-07NowhereSafeToHide.fs2) the GTD Bangladesh does not finnish it flying path. When it is near the Ganimede ring and it starts turning, (4:15 minutes left more or less), it colides with something "invisible" which stops the destroyer. (In the target window, you can see how the hull strength of the ship blinks as in a collision or under fire).

I'm using 3.6.9. RC7.8 due to RC7.9 AI bugs. Can anyone confirm this strange behaviour?
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Are you using an Orion model that is different from the canonical [V] model?

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Are you using an Orion model that is different from the canonical [V] model?

I'm using MediaVPs (3.6.8. zetas + Taylor's Alpha patches)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I cannot say if those VPs have the HTL Orion model. Does it look different than the retail one?

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I cannot say if those VPs have the HTL Orion model. Does it look different than the retail one?

Yes they have a HTL Orion (capital01.pof) but it should be "nearly" retail by now as most people use mediavps additions.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
You must be using a super-hyper-hi-poly model for the Lucifer.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Just finished this and have to say good job
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Yep, I can't run the campaign.

Error: Invalid ship type "GVF Taurus" found in $Ship Choices: of campaign file
File:D:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open\code\Parse\PARSELO.CPP
Line: 2490
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies if this is in the wrong area.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
The only thing I can think of is that you somehow removed the GVF Taurus from the game. Is this the debug or the normal build you are running?

<slaps his head>

Yep, problem solved!

Offline Thor

• Captain of the GTD Sparta
i hate to bump threads that haven't been posted to in awhile....but i figured i should say something....

Unfortunately that something will have to wait till i actually play ITHOV... somebody <cough cough> didn't let me know it was done  :P  I shall endeavor to play it as soon as i can and give my thoughts as the originator.  But my hat's off to TopAce, he really ran with it and I'm glad that he made my story came to fruition, cause i know if it was left in my hands, R.L. would have killed it and it wouldn't have been played by anyone.  So Congrats !!!  thank you so much, and i look forward to seeing the final version  :D
I can't believe my profile is still active... member since  July 25, 2002

Offline sefi

I don't get it.
Winzip compresses per file as far as I know. tar doesn't compress at all because it is a simple archive format. Just bzip2 your tarfile or whatever but Winzip isn't even worth considering.