Bobboau's original remodeling.
5 (5.6%)
Galemp's bold remapping.
69 (76.7%)
I never liked the Orion anyway...
10 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: October 10, 2005, 03:49:19 am

Author Topic: The Ultimate Orion  (Read 32329 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
I think I'm agreeing with Ace; to you, the "comm array" is the pokey things on the bottom, right? That needs to be cleaned up.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Mmmmmmm

Galemp's.

Simplicity is not something I want to see in an Orion during a mission. The more detail, the better.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sorry, Trashman, but I think those massive beam cannons just look ridiculous sticking out like that.  I also think that your antennae don't have nearly enough detail.  I was a fan of Bobboau's model to begin with, and with Galemp's improvements, it gets my full vote.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Ace
Trashman, if you fixed the stretching and made the comm array more like Bobboau's, it'd be perfect.

I aim to do that. This is still early WIP. If my mouse wasn't acting up I would have posted more detailed screenhots (as I would have actually made som impovements today)

I was thinking - should I make the sensor array a destructable subobject?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Originally posted by Mongoose
Sorry, Trashman, but I think those massive beam cannons just look ridiculous sticking out like that.  I also think that your antennae don't have nearly enough detail.  I was a fan of Bobboau's model to begin with, and with Galemp's improvements, it gets my full vote.

I just figured that was an error. If you plan on keeping those, Trash, plan on having fewer downloads/people remodeling it for themselves. For now, I'm stickin with Galemp's.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Yeah, that Galemp/Bob teamup is TEH WIN. :) Very good work.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Mongoose
Sorry, Trashman, but I think those massive beam cannons just look ridiculous sticking out like that.  

methinks that's a side-by-side comparison between the 'beam' turrets and the older style plasma cannons.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If it was a mistake/comparison, and if you're still working on the antennae, then please disregard whatever it is I just said. :p I still prefer the Galemp remap, though; I can't envision the Orion looking any better than that. :)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Originally posted by BlackDove
Galemp's.

Simplicity is not something I want to see in an Orion during a mission. The more detail, the better.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Orion is, was, and forever shall be, nothing more or less then an armored box with some guns and in engine slapped on. To treat it as anything else is to make it not an Orion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by ngtm1r
The Orion is, was, and forever shall be, nothing more or less then an armored box with some guns and in engine slapped on. To treat it as anything else is to make it not an Orion.

[color=66ff00]:yes:

The Orion looks like someone took all the subsytems that a destroyer required and built a space-frame around it. Bob's model conveys this idea perfectly.
[/color]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No, it doesn't. It breaks up the outline, destroys the box. It doesn't have the feeling of power, of indestructiblity, the old version did, with its unbroken armor belts and few extensions. It's not a high-poly Orion so much as a re-interpreted Orion.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
No, it doesn't. It breaks up the outline, destroys the box. It doesn't have the feeling of power, of indestructiblity, the old version did, with its unbroken armor belts and few extensions. It's not a high-poly Orion so much as a re-interpreted Orion.

you must learn to "think outside the box" Grasshopper :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

I thought that was the Elysium? :p
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
I like this. Lots.

And yes to be fair Ryx's model is even better but who is actually going to be able to run it in-game?
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
IMHO the modders/players should finally get rid of the 'HOW MUCH IS MUCH' poly attitude.

Omni has already prooven that the engine is capable of handling insane ammounts of polies on an average systems when you properly use its features, namely:

- LODing
(the main optimalization for fighter and smaller objects)

- Detail Boxes

Bob developed this for the WCSaga - to model high poly hangars.
It was expanded, and by putting a detail box into another (a method that can be accuratly dubbed 'recursive detail boxing', on can create really high-poly models with a very efficient rendering.

What sets apart a big detail boxed model from a simply LODed one, is that the RCBoxed will only render the portion close-to and in the field of view of the player.
This means the computer only has to wresstle with a portion of the model, therefore the so far unreachable limits can be broken.

By creating a new feature on the model in a DBox - and putting finer details on thesaid submodel into further DBox-es (effectivly RDBoxing) the resulting model will have a very fine detail revelation.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:eek2: it looks almost EXACTLY like the original model! only with higher-polies and SCP goodness! in-****ing-credible! *downloads* all that it's missing now is raptor's turrets and it'll be everything that i dreamed for the orion. :D

you know, what always ticked me off was that you could never fly into the hangars of original :v: ships. you had to turn off collisions to do so.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 02:13:53 pm by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Got a new mouse and work on the Orion continueS!

Had to re-load the old scenes 5-6 times today due to [V] & TS crazynes (I had to delete a attached subobjests faces in a specific way or else the whole UV mapping on the ship would go bokers..immagine that. ..)
Finally that tricky part is over and now it's only some lesser modifications and UV map fixing left...

Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
You made an ugly but functional thing beautiful!  Well done!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."