Author Topic: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version  (Read 213155 times)

Offline ION3

Re: RELEASE - MediaVP 3.6.10 Beta version
Thx

DaB did you notice my new problem (in the post with images) is this correct to ask here?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The problem is that a nameplate-shine.dds will also be noticeable over the several different WhateverShip-shine.dds maps.

So, Taylor, is there any real problem if we just don't have nameplate.dds? As a missing texture, it isn't rendered at all and then it's really fully transparent  ;) But as I posted I don't know if this could lead to other problems I cannot guess...
Other than the game complaining about the missing texture, there shouldn't be a problem with not having it.  But that only solves the problem when it's the blank nameplate, so it does nothing to fix the same issue when you have a real nameplate on there.

Ultimately this is something that a material system would fix.  So, we'll just have to wait for that before this problem can be properly addressed.  Right now all that can be done is these little hacks to make the problem not so bad, rather than actually being able to really fix it.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Other than the game complaining about the missing texture, there shouldn't be a problem with not having it.  But that only solves the problem when it's the blank nameplate, so it does nothing to fix the same issue when you have a real nameplate on there.

Ultimately this is something that a material system would fix.  So, we'll just have to wait for that before this problem can be properly addressed.  Right now all that can be done is these little hacks to make the problem not so bad, rather than actually being able to really fix it.

Hey you've just overtaken my own post...

:( :( Sadly I've just tested with SM1-03.fs2 that if nameplate.dds is missing, the texture replacement doesn't work and you get no real nameplates. DaBrain, please grab the black nameplate.

(Nevertheless this is an extremely unimportant thing. The transparent nameplate only gets barely visible under certain viewing/lighting angles. In game, it's really hard to notice this issue. So don't waste your time coding a solution unless it solves or improves another game feature too).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Thx

DaB did you notice my new problem (in the post with images) is this correct to ask here?

It's not a problem, the color just changed.

I'm open for color suggestions though. I'm tempted to make some changes for the final release here again.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Change the cyan afterburner glows. They SUCK.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
:( :( Sadly I've just tested with SM1-03.fs2 that if nameplate.dds is missing, the texture replacement doesn't work and you get no real nameplates. DaBrain, please grab the black nameplate.
Texture replacement should still work actually (in theory if not in practice).  I'll consider that a bug and try to get that fixed first thing when I get back to work on the code.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Change the cyan afterburner glows. They SUCK.

That was direct... well... yeah ok.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
DaBrain, if you start working for an additional project, your badges will blow the forum formatting :lol:.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
It's not a problem, the color just changed.

I'm open for color suggestions though. I'm tempted to make some changes for the final release here again.
I really do like yellow ABs although they aren't canon. They look much better than old cyan ones. They look MUCH realer.

But as MediaVPs is intended to be a RETAIL enhancement, I would offer cyan as default and, in an optional vp, the yellow ones. (Although it could be some more packing work).
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Offline ION3

DaB You should read my posts more carefully. Both Pictures were taken with the same MVPs! I used a different exe. The cyan one actually is a cyan-yellow mix if you look closely.

I like the yellow ones much more aswell. Btw i don't like the current look of the engines* in general. for one because they don't look like engines* and because they have some graphics problems and are noncanon.
I saw a pic somewhere with a much better one. (maybe from the fsport or some other mod)

*don't have a better english word. I mean the Engine fx we're talking about all the time.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
For me, SCP3.9.10 is working just fine yet. Except of a li'll prob with the engine ejection:

And some textures (Orion e.g.) seem to be somewhat... washy. Dunno. Using a Radeon x700 Series, latest patch (Dec 4, iirc). But really a very, very nice work, again. Looks fantastic! Especially the HTL Loki. :nod:

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Yeah, the stuff below and including the x800 is Shader 2.0 AFAIK, though that may not be it.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
another problem. hope is has not been posted already.....but this is the onyl thing that ive seen so far....here no further problems

the thrusters of the new (great looking) htl ravana are wrong placed:

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
DaB You should read my posts more carefully. Both Pictures were taken with the same MVPs! I used a different exe. The cyan one actually is a cyan-yellow mix if you look closely.

I like the yellow ones much more aswell. Btw i don't like the current look of the engines* in general. for one because they don't look like engines* and because they have some graphics problems and are noncanon.
I saw a pic somewhere with a much better one. (maybe from the fsport or some other mod)

*don't have a better english word. I mean the Engine fx we're talking about all the time.

Yeap DaBrain, he's right.

The problem is that you have thrusterXX-XX.dds versions in mv_effects > Maps and thrusterXX-XX.pcx versions also in mv_effects > Effects. The texture loading order has been changed, (explained in Wiki in -mod help), so old builds load different bitmaps than newest ones.

Select the good textures and place them in Effects subfolder. Map subfolder is a wrong location.

Also there are some other textures in mv_effects>map which shouldn't be there:
  • ABTrail.dds. It's duplicated you also have it in mv_effects>effects
  • Bomber04-01a-glow.dds and Bomber09-01a-glow.dds. They seem obsolete versions of Bomber04-01-glow.dds and Bomber09-01-glow.dds which are correctly placed in mv_assets>maps. I bet you can just delete them both.
  • You've got also Shockwave3d in tga and dds flavours. I'd only leave dds mipmapped one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:25:36 pm by ARSPR »

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
another problem. hope is has not been posted already.....but this is the onyl thing that ive seen so far....here no further problems

the thrusters of the new (great looking) htl ravana are wrong placed:

Yes, already noticed: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,51229.msg1035559.html#msg1035559

That Ravana has one thousand problems. Forget about it.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
A triple post  ;7 ;7 ;7

For me, SCP3.9.10 is working just fine yet. Except of a li'll prob with the engine ejection:

And some textures (Orion e.g.) seem to be somewhat... washy. Dunno. Using a Radeon x700 Series, latest patch (Dec 4, iirc). But really a very, very nice work, again. Looks fantastic! Especially the HTL Loki. :nod:

It really seems an issue with your GPU, your Catalyst or whatever. Not a mediavps bug. But I'm not sure.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
@IceyJones Yeah... the patch will fix that.

@ARSPR Yeah, but it's ment for 3.6.10 builds anyway, so the color problem isn't an issue.

Ah some file errors. Damn... I can't patch that. I'll have to note it for the final release.
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline ION3

Ah that`s how i got the cyan thruster. Wondered how that happened.

Actually there seem to be a lot of unused textures because mipmaps are used now instead.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
There shouldn't be any.

I deleted all smaller versions of the maps (aka "a" "b" "c" ect.) and only put them back in when the looked different from the original map (=other uv layout for lods).
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
In "Their Finest Hour" it appers there are some beam-free issues

In the nebula fogging is all fuxored to hell, but that could be a Radeon HD3870 driver bug.

oh.. and those missing beam glows for shivans :P
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir