Author Topic: AG says goodbye...  (Read 13795 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hello fellow HLPers, as it was mentioned before AG can no longer be considered an active project, with a year and a few months of complete silence on the internal forums it was only natural to begin wondering about the future of the project.

The remaining of the team gathered a few days back to discuss whether to continue or drop the project, the majority has decided to drop for a different amount of reasons which we will not explain here, so we find ourselves today making this decision public.

AG is as of now a dead project.

Work continued a little bit after the last demo release, so we have a few things to deliver as a goodbye present.

In this goodbye release you'll find three new missions (7, 9 and 11) that were supposed to make it into the second release, a custom music pack made of tracks composed for us by So_RusTeD (moddb), and few bugfixes on the demo missions.

Download Here (28.5MB)

To run, delete or rename the previous demo release and uncompress the files directly into the Freespace2 folder (7z file contains an AG folder ready to launch).

So this is it people, we extend our most sincere apologies for dropping the mod unexpectedly, and we hope you can at least enjoy this small goodbye present.

AG team signing off.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
 :(

Another project dropped.

"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Its always sad to see a project fall by the wayside, hopefully this will give other projects a boost
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Farewell.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Shame, it looked very ambitious when it started. At least the music won't be wasted.

Offline starlord

sad indeed! Do you also plan on preserving other things like the plot draft or the following?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I don't think we have anything like that on the internal forums, Blue Lion must have the entire story script somewhere but he's not responding to PM's.
The download contains the scripts for the demo missions, that's as much as I have available unfortunately.
el hombre vicio...

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
†R.I.P. AC

2012 really does feel like the end of the world. :warp:
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Considering the amount of things that are going wrong this year, maybe it will be end of the world after all...

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
ahhh come on, don't be so negative.

we still have free unsensored inter-webs.
el hombre vicio...

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
2012 really does feel like the end of the world. :warp:

Hmmm? As sad as it is to see so many projects "dying".. I see this as a somewhat positive move. Many of these projects haven't had any real activity for some time now. The fact that they are releasing what they DO have is great for the community.

Add to that also, that acknowledgement of an inactive mod allows us, and the HLP admins to move on. It opens up room for other projects. Which is a big deal. Many of these projects have been around since nearly the beginning of HLP. Since then the admins have become much more selective about the mod projects they host and as such (hopefully) the only mods that get hosted are ones that have shown considerable ability to progress and be completed.

It's also a time where members can stop waiting for a list of dead mods to be finished and start coming up with their own ideas. As it is, it seems that the Missions & Campaigns board sees many more releases than all of HLP's hosted projects combined. And that's a statistic worth thinking about. Hosted projects tend to be overly ambitious. With the standard set where campaigns are typically not hosted, I expect to continue to see more new members busting out campaigns because they decided to try rather than either hoping to get involved in a hosted project or simply waiting for the 'hosted elite' (quotes because being hosted obviously does not guarantee quality or even completeness.) to make a release.

So in summary, I'm not thrilled to see another mod declare bankruptcy.. but I am happy to see them acknowledge that they can't finish and then release everything they did finish implying "here, use this stuff and go make something awesome."

2012 may feel like the end of the world.. but in reality it's just the end of an era where Hosted Projects contain all of the community talent. (Unless you are BP.. in which case it feels like half the community is on the BP team.)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Unless you are BP.. in which case it feels like half the community is on the BP team.
:wtf: Not sure if srs...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BP is one of 7 FS related, non-community-powered membergroups with more than 15 members. The other membergroups are ones like BWO, Inferno, and MT which undoubtedly have many inactive members linked to the group. So, it probably feels like BP has a large number of the community because it has the highest number of active community members working on it.

Basically, I feel like I see that BP badge a lot while browsing the forums. It's not really a criticism though since BP is clearly an active and content producing project, so it makes sense that it has a lot of talent.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
MT, BWO and Inferno are all old projects, and plenty of their former developers don't even come here anymore, or show up only rarely. The active staff on the latter two (for MT, the active staff consisted of me and nobody else, hence the dump) is comparatively rather small.
BP, on the other hand, is a very active project with most staff frequently posting on the forums, not to mention some of the most active members of the community (Like Batutta, Darius, The_E, etc. I'm also quite active) are on BP team.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:bump:

This is sad indeed. :(

sad indeed! Do you also plan on preserving other things like the plot draft or the following?

I don't think we have anything like that on the internal forums, Blue Lion must have the entire story script somewhere but he's not responding to PM's.
The download contains the scripts for the demo missions, that's as much as I have available unfortunately.

That makes me wonder, what if you try and save as much of the original plot as possible and make it public, both via forums and the FS Wiki? I believe it would be interesting.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]