Author Topic: FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed  (Read 54447 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed
Chapter 1: Questions

Setting: Year 2371, 4 years after the events of Freespace 2.'

System: Beta Aquilae

May 14, 14:00 hours.

Such a beautiful ship, McAllen thought as his shuttle dropped out of subspace. Who would argue? The GTD Vega, a Orion class destroyer, one of the most decorated and battle hardened ships in the Terran fleet lit up as the moon of Beta Aquilae II moved to allow the light for the central star to hit it. McAllen has served with that fine ship for thirteen years, and just gazed out the viewport as his mind reviewed the events and decisions that allowed him to become the Chief Gunnery Control Officer for the Vega. Such an top position should thrill him as he approached his "home", but still he sighed while muttering a curse under his breath. He does love that ship, just not the governing powers of the GTVA. He had been on leave, supposedly taking four weeks to be with his wife and three year old daughter in Deneb. But, even in a time of peace, there was no rest for the weary so it seamed, as two military agents had shown up on his doorstep after two weeks in his leave, showing a letter that would drag him back early while not telling of what purpose he had been called back.

Sandra Dre sitting back two rolls behind McAllen gave a slight chuckle at the older officer's distress.

"Miss getting it on with the wife?"

McAllen looked over his shoulder, looking at Dre, and while scowling he mumbled a few un-audible phases before turning back to the viewport.

Dre smirked at his expense. Looking at the looming warship with pleasure and a sense of pride. Even at twenty-eight years old she had no family, that great warship was her home and it's crew was her brothers, and she felt no regret for people like McAllen who did not want to be on it continuously. Yes, she had been on leave, but only because the crew of the Vega were ordered to take at least three weeks of leave a year so they would be at top physical and psychological shape. She first joined the GTVA eight years ago as a fighter pilot, however during the Second Great War she discovered her true love of working on the fighters and bombers themselves, and most of all, the weapons. She had touched and armed just about every weapon in the GTVA arsenal, from the Harpoon missile to the Helios torpedo and had created a fine career out of it. Taking pride that she was now second in command in both Hangar Engineering and Fighter Mechanic on the Vega, but most of all  she was next in line to take the title as Top Engineer on the Vega when Captain Watts who was fifty-nine was surely coming into retirement age. And she had no regrets for what she had accomplished.

Shuttle cockpit

"This is the Vega, you are clear to land, section two, slot sixteen"

"Acknowledged Vega"

The pilot maneuvered the Shuttle into the bay skillfully, moving around all the equipment on the bay surface, before setting down in marked off spot near a Hercules Mark II heavy fighter. The back door opened with a thump. Both McAllen and Dre grabbing their bags from a space beneath their feet and exiting the shuttle.

As they exited the shuttle a little surprise and shock hit their faces. Looking out over the hangar, it was as busy as it would be in times of war. Small tractors crossed the hangar floor with fighter and bomber parts, and spotless fighter cannons and missiles that still had the tags from the factory on them providing information with the location and date they were made. Mechanics had panels and cockpits open fixing and changing out old fighter parts. Tankers full of fuel for the craft's fusion engines were moving deck to deck. The whole hangar was a riot of noise and the smell of lubricants and fossil fuels used on the tractors and trucks was strong. Dre noticed that McAllen tensed from the noise, but otherwise paid him little attention, this is where she thrived and she could feel the adrenaline in her veins.  She then turned in waled to the nearest elevator to get to her quarters.

McAllen still a little dumbfounded by all the activity in the hangar, felt a tap on the shoulder. He turned around an younger office who saluted and handed him a note.

"Commander Simms has arranged a very important meeting with all the commanding crew from sections one through eight at 18:00 hours. This letter contains a log on what information and statistics the Commander asks you to bring to the meeting for your post." 

Taking the enveloped note into his hand, the other office saluted and walked off. McAllen shook his head a little and checked his watch. 14:46, he had just over three hours to prepare his information for the meeting. Taking his briefcase and suitcase, he waled to the nearest elevator, his mind wrapped in questions his mind had no answers for.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:16:19 am by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: FreeSpace: Secrets Revealed
Please, continue.

Offline cloneof

Sounds good and feels like it, please, continue  :yes:.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Interested in reading more  :nod:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I just hope it doesn't have anything to do with Shivans again. In fan fiction you can be a lot more creative than in campaigns...

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I just hope it doesn't have anything to do with Shivans again. In fan fiction you can be a lot more creative than in campaigns...

It isn't FreeSpace without Shivans :P

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Noted a couple of spelling errors:

bot -> not
roll -> row ?

Other than that, good start. I am interested.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline WeatherOp

Noted a couple of spelling errors:

bot -> not
roll -> row ?

Other than that, good start. I am interested.

I thought I had gotten all of them, but it was pretty late when I writ it as I posted it. I'll add more hopefully tonight.

Thanks for the words though. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Be careful with the big biographical infodumps in place of character development. Character traits should be things we learn through dialogue and interaction.

Offline WeatherOp

Chapter 1: Questions (Continued)

May 14, Year 2371, 17:37 hours.

Private Quarters

In his quarters with the lights off, Commander Simms types quickly on a computer, before throwing himself back into the chair rubbing his eyes and forehead. The whole ship knows he's been awake for over a day without rest. "Too old" he thinks to himself. His desk is un-organized, files, notepads litter the surface, a few has already fell over and spilled on the floor. He picks up and looks at an official form on the GTC Baron, one of seven first Adrastos heavy cruisers that have just begun production. The Baron was being assigned to the Vega's 11th Fleet, 1st Battlegroup and all the form needed was his signature, which he wrote before throwing it back on the stack of files.  He then looks down and grabs his glasses.

"I should actually wear these" He half mumbles and chuckles to himself.

Rubbing his gray head, he slides his glasses on, and squints to once again look at the computer screen. Pilot reports to confirm, officers on leave reporting back in, new fighter part shipments, GTVI inquiries on onboard cannons and missiles, new enlistments, new transfer applications. He once again sits back fully into his chair and breathes out, he didn't have time to go through all this crap right now, there were more pressing matters. He then reaches down and pulls a picture frame that contained a picture of his wife and young daughter and looks over it. Thinking back, it must have been fifteen years ago this was taken on Capella.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on his chamber door.

"You have permission to enter" although he frowns when he said it, never in twenty-three years as captain of a vessel has he said such military phrase.

A well-built man, mid-thirties enters, does a formal salute, but he is quickly waved off by Simms.

"Sir, we just had the last three main officers arrive back on the Vega. They have been given their orders and are preparing the information for the meeting at 18 hundred ho.."

"Crap, you are right" Simms interrupting, exclaims as he checks his watch.

Simms stood turning off his computer screen. Lt. Col. Jay Hollis couldn't help but smile. He really enjoyed seeing the captain full of energy again, always like he would before a military move. But, the moment was bittersweet. Hollis being First Officer under Simms, he had really had a chance to know what the Commander was thinking and would only say to him in private. Hollis knew Simms was getting ready to give up being Commander, and the responsibility of Commander would certainly fall to him. Simms had been training him to take over for years. But that would mean the retirement of one of the greatest officers in the history of the GTVA, and the likely outcome of his retirement would soon lead to his death as his ship really meant the world to him.

"Come my friend, we will grab a drink from the mess-hall before we go to that meeting" Simms said smiling and patting him on the shoulder.

Hollis snapped out of his thoughts,

"You sure you just don't wanna go to bed and miss the meeting?"  Hollis joked.

"Naw, I'm not dead yet. Besides, too many people want me to die quickly and I must live to disappoint them another day"

The lights of the hallway were very bright and they both squinted as they walked out of Simm's quarters. It was then they saw Chief Intelligence officer James Hanley waiting for them with a serious look on his face holding a packed file with red "Classified Level Epsilon" worded on it.

"New information from Command for your meeting"

Simms takes the file, looking through it. The lines on his face wrinkle, his face no longer like the merry fellow he had been moments earlier, and now like the Captain of Battlegroup, like a battle hardened commander. Hollis thought. That is the way he looked before a military engagement.

"Looks like we will have to wait on that drink" Simms say as he walks toward the elevator.

Hollis and Hanley follow behind him and join him in the elevator, the doors close.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:57:09 pm by WeatherOp »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Apart from it being written in the present tense when it should be in the past tense, it's getting interesting.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Who exactly is Watts?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline WeatherOp

Who exactly is Watts?

Whoops, that is what you get when you are writing it while talking on IM. :p

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Quote from: First story
...as Top Engineer on the Vega when Captain Watts who was fifty-nine ...

There's one in the first post too, but I always thought it was referring to McAllen.

Offline WeatherOp

Quote from: First story
...as Top Engineer on the Vega when Captain Watts who was fifty-nine ...

There's one in the first post too, but I always thought it was referring to McAllen.

No, not on that one

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Nice one. Like this story a lot now.

Offline WeatherOp

Chapter 1: Questions (Continued)

May 14, Year 2371, 17:52 hours.

Briefing Room

"Please hand over Firearms, PDA's, and all communication devices"

McAllen hears as he enters the briefing room. Turning to the left, he reaches into his pocket, pulls his phone out and hands it to the guard. After which he reaches into his holster and pulls out his standard issue TF-11 semi-automatic pistol and hands it and to the guard also. Who puts it into a sliding drawer with McAllen's name on it.

The briefing room was large, half circular, capable of holding one hundred and fifty top staff on descending rolls to the center platform.

McAllen, holding a folder thick with information on various weapon systems, targeting systems, and payloads, walks down the stairs into the room itself. Already nearly full with one hundred and twenty-six crew members was echoing with light chatter, he heard mostly questions in the seats near the isle where he was walking. After excusing himself some, McAllen sits in a seat on the right side of the room, three rolls back from the middle platform.  Chatter continues to grow as more of the crew assembles. A little nervous of being called up to do a presentation, McAllen looks through his information just to calm his nerves that he has everything he was asked to bring.

"Attention"

Everyone in the briefing room rises as Simms, Hollis and Hanley walk into the briefing room and continue down the stairs to the front roll. Simms and Hollis both sit, and the entire briefing room follows. Hanley on the other hand walks up to the few stairs to the top of the central platform and then up to the podium.

"Date, May fourteenth, Year 2371, the time is eighteen hundred and zero-one hours." Hanley speaks over the loudspeaker.

"Commander Simms, may I have authorization to begin the briefing?"

Simms looks up to notice Hanley carrying a file that wasn't the one shown to him, "Classified Omega" the red letters say.  A little confused, he nods his head and speaks.

"Authorization Granted"

Hanley looks up and nods at the guard at the door, who quickly types on the computer. Everyone hears the pops of the electronic locks which causes a slight stir. The lights begin to dim as the screen behind the podium turns on and the letters "Classified Level Omega" appear on screen with the GTVA logo underneath.

"Quite frankly, I'm not gonna go through standard clause about leaking this information that is normally spoken before briefings such as this, everyone in this room has heard it several times and know the consequences of such an action. There are far more important things right now to discuss.  Alright, lets start with what you do know." Hanley speaks over the loudspeaker as he opens the folder in his hands.

"It's a widely known fact that the GTVA has been rebuilding a portal based on the data that was taken from the Knossos subspace portal in Delta Serpentis"

McAllen as with the rest of the attendants hardly flinched. The GTVA has been trumpeting the fact that they have been building a portal for over two years now and it was hardly classified data.

"Now what you do not know. It appears the process has hit some snags."

The room quietens.

"Let me start from the beginning, firstly for the sake of security reasons the portal is not being built where Command has said it to be. It is actually at the location of the Trident-Moore frigate training facility in Delta Serpentis on the opposite side of the system. Since both areas have extremely high security and the fleet watching these locations have shoot on sight authorization on any intruders who encroach in both areas of Military controlled space. I'm sure you are familiar with the civilian freighter Fargo when it collided with the Civilian ship Mathiers in Delta Serpentis a year ago, resulting in the destruction of both vessels. The fact is the Mathiers never existed, and you can take your conclusions on that."

"Well, I'm sure you all know, we didn't pull a big briefing just to share that little tidbit with you, so let me get to the meat of the briefing. Something else you did not know was that the portal is operational and has been tested. The date of the supposed, official first test of the portal in 2375 was a bogus date Command used to try to put off how complete the portal codenamed "Aurora" is."

Hanley pushed a few buttons on the remote in his hand and the portal appeared on the screen behind him showing technical details and information.

People in the room stirred a little.

"Now since that information has been revealed, I can go deeper with the report. As I can see by the look everyone's faces speaks the question on how the test went. Well, as the Aurora was powering up the station attached recorded an anomaly, a Fabric Change Trace.."

The room was once again were filled with whispers.

"I'm confused, what is a Fabric Change Trace" Jay Hollis asked from the seat on the right side of Simms on the front roll.

"Basically a status change in Space/Time."

Hollis turned around to see Scientist Neal Boggs standing. Hardly the small, thin scientist type, he was widely known as Neal "WildHog" Boggs for obvious reasons.

"Let me explain, Fabric Change Trace is basically a change in space caused by the distortion of subspace. When I was a pilot, we had a slang term for it, a "Knock-Knock". It happens when a craft whether Fighter or Destroyer engages it's subspace drive long enough to tear a rip into subspace, but then aborts it before entering subspace. What happens is some of the energy travels down the subspace tube and emerges out the location at the end of the jump creating a microscopic portal that is only detected by powerful sensors such as on Fightercraft or Stations. The reason it is called a "Knock-Knock" is not only would it alert you of a mistake possibly telling you that something is coming, but also it would bring a little information with it about the readout of the craft that sent it." With the last few words Boggs looked directly at Hanley before sitting down, and the focus of the room was now again on Hanley.

Hanley feeling the pressure of the room, looked down to his folder then back up.

"Perfect description, Mr. Boggs. The fact of the matter is we did receive a little information on the drive of the ship that sent it. The closest ship we could match the signature to was the Shivan Super Destroyer Lucifer"

And with that the whole room erupted in chatter.

"Please, please" Hanley said trying to get everyone back under control.

"The data is not conclusive by any means, and this was only the closest match our analysts could make. The fact is that many of the top scientists have agreed that it is very possible that this was only a wave of energy when the Lucifer was supposedly destroyed that has only just now reached us and that there is no threat at all in continued testing and/or use. However, by the order of Command the Vega along with four other top GTVA destroyers will go to the location of the Aurora for it's first full operational start up. Firstly to provide extra security from terrorist threats but also to provide security from the unknown threat if there happens to be one."

Simms looking at Hanley showing extreme dis-pleasure at what Hanley was saying.

"As of right now, all un-classified communications both inbound and outbound from this vessel has been suspended until farther notice. The Vega is now under the control of Terran Special Operations Command."

Simms stood up, dropping all the folders off his lap into the briefing room floor, and after looking Hanley straight in the eyes with intense anger walked up the stairs without saying a word. Hollis grabed the papers off the floor and followed Simms. After a brief exchange with the guard, the main doors are opened long enough for the them to exit after which they re-closed and re-locked. The room is quieter than the depths of space.

Hanley waits until they have left before he continues.

"When I call your name, you are to walk up to the podium and dis-close the information you were asked to gather. Drew Jones, please come up and give the data on the vital supply count....."

Chapter 1 END.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:47:39 pm by WeatherOp »

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Wooow

When's the next one gonna start, aproximately?

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
i am looking forward to your next piece, i just got it in my mind a battlestar galactica esque feel to it.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.