Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613944 times)

Re: What are you playing right now?
Made an attempt at playing LoL again after a several month hiatus. And what's the first thing that happens in the game I'm in?

"You suck."
"Completely useless."

Granted, I wasn't playing my best since, y'know, several month hiatus, but even so... hell, we even won that game by a landslide.
Maybe it was because I was playing with a couple of friends who are much more advanced than I am, so I got placed in a more skilled game than I would normally. Perhaps if I played at my own level, things wouldn't be as bad.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Burnt a couple of hours with Dark Souls. here is a run down of how it played out:
Beat the Gaping Dragon.
Almost got to the bonfire in Blight Town.
Got killed.
Got within spiting distance of the bloodstain.
Got stun-locked by firebreathing dog-things.
Died a second time.
Lost the 285,050 souls and 3 Humanity that I had built up in those two hours.
Took a deep breath to stop from raging.
RAGE ANYWAY
Turned off xbox.
Cried a little.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Made an attempt at playing LoL again after a several month hiatus. And what's the first thing that happens in the game I'm in?

"You suck."
"Completely useless."

Granted, I wasn't playing my best since, y'know, several month hiatus, but even so... hell, we even won that game by a landslide.
Maybe it was because I was playing with a couple of friends who are much more advanced than I am, so I got placed in a more skilled game than I would normally. Perhaps if I played at my own level, things wouldn't be as bad.

Man I just don't get the appeal of MOBA/whatever games to begin with, and that's even before you get to how vile their communities seem to be.  It's a weird thing.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well it seems like ATGMs got a buff since the last time I played, I remember before they pretty much had the same range as a Reinmetall 120mm, now they clearly outdistance tank guns.  Twelve TOWs, good optics in an armored package seems like the Brad deserves some serious consideration for my decks.

They fixed their horrible inaccuracy issues at some point as well, for which I'm glad.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Finally started playing Dark Souls,

Why don't games today have a fricken manual? Seriously? Would it kill to have half a page explaining what the character and weapon stats mean? This is basic **** man. Oblivon on 360 had the same problem, and if I bothered to look at Skyrim's manual when I try it again I might find it there too.

Games create a bunch of inventory icons, and then don't tell you what the icons are. And yeah, there's some help thing in Dark Souls but I'm pretty sure I had to choose my character class before that was even an option, so was looking at stats with no clear definition and a few hours later I still don't know what attunement does or what half the stuff I have in my inventory does.

For example I have some talisman. Says it prevents undead from healing. Like hell does, undead heal the **** out of themselves all day long 2 feet away from me. Or is the talisman, which is by nature an artifact and should be carried around indefinitely actually a one use item? Who knows, doesn't say.

Also I love how people have insisted through the ages that the game is fair, and then . . . my character gets attacked from the same direction by two opponents on a single-file stairwell. Because yeah, enemies attacking through other enemies is fair right?

But yes, how a company can make a 100 hour long RPG and not put basic information into a friggin little booklet is beyond me. Spend the extra 30 cents and give me a clue what the hell your game is about.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
*snip*

Yeah, the lack of a decent book drove me up the wall as well. And as for the Lloyd's Talisman, you have to actually Use it to prevent healing. Your character will throw it on the ground in front of them.

Also, who the hell told you the game was "fair"!? It's quite possible one of the most evil and insidious games to date.

Attunement/ Attunement Slots are the number of spell slots you can equip spells to (the number of them increases as you raise the stat) and what spells you have set to the slots. Spells are separated into three categories; Sorceries, Pyromancy and Miracles. Each one needs a particular weapon equipped to be used. Sorceries need a wand, pyromancies need a 'Flame' and miracles have talismans (different from the Lloyd's Talisman useable).

Most of the descriptions are self explanatory, and you will pick up everything fairly quickly.

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

The Force shall free me.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I'm starting back at the very beginning of my PS3 collection and writing reviews for each of them for a friend's website
Rainbow Six Vegas looks so... so... brown and... jaggedy
And the font. The font makes me think I need glasses
"No"

*snip*

Yeah, the lack of a decent book drove me up the wall as well. And as for the Lloyd's Talisman, you have to actually Use it to prevent healing. Your character will throw it on the ground in front of them.

Also, who the hell told you the game was "fair"!? It's quite possible one of the most evil and insidious games to date.

That's like the common defense on the escapist.com "The game is hard, but it's fair. If you die it's because you screwed up" la dee da. Heard it about 150 times.

So the Talisman is a 1 use item for 500 souls? what the heck. Lame. Maybe if I'm fighting the black knight or something.
Though, I suppose it doesn't make sense that I'm carrying it as a hollow and able to heal myself so . . whatever. After I finish being mad at the game I'll try it again.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
After you progress a little more, souls will add up very quickly so it's not too big an impact on your wallet(?)* as long as you live long enough to get to a shop. It's also not really worth using them at the moment and save them for using on mimc chests, as it will open them without needing to fight them.

The Force shall free me.

Man I just don't get the appeal of MOBA/whatever games to begin with, and that's even before you get to how vile their communities seem to be.  It's a weird thing.

Well, the gameplay itself is pretty fun, and when you're with a team of Pretty Cool Guys it is an absolute blast.

You just have to slog through the occasional douchebags to get there, which, I won't lie, can get very tiresome.

My main problem is I don't know the metagame like the back of my hand, so I'll sometimes be doing something other than what my team expects me to be doing. Not usually a big deal if they're communicative, but when they just expect you to know **** like a pro who plays eight hours a day...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
*snip*

That's like the common defense on the escapist.com "The game is hard, but it's fair. If you die it's because you screwed up" la dee da. Heard it about 150 times.

So the Talisman is a 1 use item for 500 souls? what the heck. Lame. Maybe if I'm fighting the black knight or something.
Though, I suppose it doesn't make sense that I'm carrying it as a hollow and able to heal myself so . . whatever. After I finish being mad at the game I'll try it again.

That rage at Dark Souls makes me smile inside. Because I raged at it too, but in the end, the overcoming all of that is what makes it rewarding; wouldn't have it any other way.

And the game's combat system is fair, once you figure it out. You only die because you did something dumb like trying to get in too many swings, rolling in the wrong direction, messing up parry timings, forgetting to block, trying to heal in front of an enemy, trying to block instead of dodging a grapple (which can't be blocked), walking into traps, etc. If you're patient and careful you can literally just not take any damage whatsoever. The mobs are fairly predictable, pretty much tell you exactly what they're about to do, and can be coaxed into doing rather stupid things if you know what you're doing (mostly luring them into walking off cliffs).

The process of figuring it out, though, is pretty brutal. Downright evil at times, by intentionally omitting information (such as the talisman's use - it's written effect prevents enemies from drinking Estus Flasks, only useful in PvP when invading really, but the mimic-calming effect is what you really want to use it for most of the time). I find that part of the appeal - your character is literally learning how to fight better without being tied to arbitrary numbers/levels/stats/skills.

* Droid803 after playing 80 hours of Dark Souls the past two months.
Now? I guess I'll be playing TERA:Rising (F2P). I got SpardaSon21 playing too. (oh boy what have I gotten myself into...but those fluffy tails...)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Flak

I am currently playing Skyrim and Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 patch and some mods on PC. I am also currently playing Tales of The Abyss on 3ds. I may go to my old collections if I get bored.

For the record, my character in Tera is not a little girl with a fluffy tail. :P
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
For the record, my character in Tera is not a little girl with a fluffy tail. :P
Well, it should have been. I don't know what possessed you to go after half pants.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
SotS II, Orcs Must Die 2
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Well, it should have been. I don't know what possessed you to go after half pants.

o_O

GTA IV for computer. It runs so smoothly! Using my PS3 controller to boot.
"No"

I'd rather have half pants on a demoness in the middle of my screen than a loli kitsune with an outfit and behavior that says "I'm an adorable little girl, please molest me." ;)

But anyways too late now to change characters since I'm already level 20.  I also do not want to do that eleven level starting area all over again so soon, at least not with someone to share my misery with.  If I had someone to complain to and with while doing all that stuff all over again I'd probably go for it *hint hint*. ;)

Also, help me little-girl Kenobi, you're my only hope against basilisks. :P

Deathfun, yeah, that was sort of my response too.  Now I just deal with it since half-pants appear to be the new video game fanservice legwear of choice.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Moved on to Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. Wow it actually looks a lot better than II with neglible decrease in performance. O_O

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Star Conflict, quite addictive must say.
el hombre vicio...

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Star Conflict, quite addictive must say.

A quick look-up of it gives me the impression of EVE....Only it's fun.

The Force shall free me.