Author Topic: Analysis Part 3- Rocks are Good (and Some Stuff About Shivans)  (Read 3146 times)

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Re: Analysis Part 3- Rocks are Good (and Some Stuff About Shivans)
The effects for the SSL beam look different from the stock assets. Is that your own custom mod?
Stuff

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
That's just FSPort 3.5 and the Media_VPs 2014. You'd have to ask the FSPort team but I'd assume it was a choice to make FS1 and 2 a bit more consistent and that the FS2 engine would rather have beam cannons on the Lucifer than the original weird projectile things.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
These effects originally came from the SSLBeam mod which Sesquipedalian originally created for Scroll of Atankharzim back in 2002.  This mod, in turn, took advantage of the beam tiling and translation effects which were among the first features added to FSO.

(Scroll pimp alert: we are aiming for a release of Part I in the very, very near future.)

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Very nice. I can't remember when I first found HLP but it was certainly after that since that screenshot looks pretty familiar and every version of FSPort I've used has had the SSL beams in it.

I'll have to add Scroll to the massive back catalogue of mods for  when I finally exhaust the retail + Silent Threat Reborn analysis in what I've estimated to be 27 videos.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED