Author Topic: Freespace 1 with xbox one controller  (Read 7178 times)

Freespace 1 with xbox one controller
Hi everyone

I am trying to use my xbox one controller to play the original Freespace. I can bind the analog sticks in the options menu but when I go to play the game it doesn't respond when I move the sticks. I have tried to use Joy2Key to just map the controller to keyboard presses, but FS seems to override these settings, so for example the right bumper is afterburner and the analog sticks don't work.

I have downloaded Freespace 2 and this seems to work without any major issues. I can bind the analog sticks in options and it works in the game.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Can I do anything to fix FS1, or is my best bet to get FSopen and run the port of FS1?

(I know a joystick is probably the ideal way to play the game but I don't want to have to buy one, and I'd like to try the game using a pad.)

Thanks for your help!

Re: Freespace 1 with xbox one controller
I don't know about a direct fix but I would highly suggest you just play FSPort with MediaVPs instead. It makes the game look a lot prettier, fixes your issue with the pad(although the triggers still won't work without joy2key) and you're really not losing much by it. Unless you really want that nostalgic full retail experience.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Yeah I was hoping to have a nostalgic playthrough of both games, then upgrade the graphics so that I would notice the difference more. As a matter of interest why don't the triggers work when the other buttons do?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Because they're axes, not buttons.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

It's a relatively common problem with xinput gamepads on games that use dinput. That's why I personally prefer gamepads with that let you switch between dinput and xinput on the fly as they will work perfectly with most older and newer games.

If you only have xinput then you'll just have to accept that most older games will either not register your triggers at all or treat them like an axis and not let you bind most commands to them. Xpadder or joy2key fix this problem in most cases.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Yeah I was hoping to have a nostalgic playthrough of both games, then upgrade the graphics so that I would notice the difference more.

You don't have to install the graphical upgrades: if you only install Freespace Open then it'll run with retail models and effects.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
In my sig there's a link to Xpadder / JoyToKey that should allow you to set up your controller as a virtual mouse / kb.  At least, I think it's there.  :nervous:

EDIT yeah it's there, Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey

You want Xpadder and / or JoyToKey to get a controller working as a joystick.

Thanks for the feedback. I installed FS Open (which looks great btw) and got the controls set up with Xpadder. I had to use the turbo setting in Xpadder for the throttle so if I press forward/back with the left stick it repeatedly presses =/- instead of just hitting it once.
That works pretty well. However I have the right stick mapped to 8,2,4,6 on the number pad (for pitch and yaw) and it is very sensitive. Moving the stick a small amount does little, but moving it slightly more makes the ship turn very fast. It makes aiming difficult.

Is there any way to change the sensitivity/acceleration when using the numpad keys to pitch/yaw?

Thanks

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Try using JoyToKey and unmap that function from Xpadder, and map it instead to virtual mouse?  IIRC you can do that.

Or see if there are more detailed settings in Xpadder to turn down the repeat rate of turbo mode.

You should be able to just map your pad normally, aside from the triggers. No need to use Xpadder for pitch and yaw when you can just use your actual gamepad for that. If it's not working for some reason you can still change the deadzones in Xpadder.

Offline neomut

Hi,

I've stumbled on this thread while researching my issue.

Ive FS2 Open installed with an xbox one elite controller (PC windows 10, 3.7.4-RC1). I wanted to just confirm what I am experiencing is expected.

I am able to map all the axis (X,Y,Z, Rz, Rx, Ry). Freespace allows me to bind them with no issues (in the control / key binding area). However when I enter the game, only the X/Y (left thumbstick) and Z and Rx (Left and right triggers) work in game. The Ry/Rz (right thumbstick) does not work in game.

Is this to be expected?  I've noted through my reading the most people are able to get the thumbsticks working with out additional software. Which is what I am after.

I've hit a bit of a wall, any assist will be helpful. As i would really like ot get the bank/yaw and pitch working on the analog sticks.

Thanks!

Offline neomut

I've a work around for my problem. Seems I may be experiencing a bit of difficulty due to MS recent driver change? Or just PBKAC.

Anyway, UJR + Vjoy seems to have provided me with a work around that is looking positive.  (From JR2 signature).  I've basically remapped my axis. Moving the triggers axis to my right thumbstick, while I don't gain any axis, I get them where I want them, and I can put the triggers as buttons which is fine.

Hopefully helps someone else.

Thanks and keep up the good work. I wish I had found this site many years ago. However, FS1 + 2 here I come.

Cheers

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
:welcome:

That behavior is (unfortunately) expected, since both retail FS and FSOpen are limited to recognizing only four axes on a controller, and the XBox's triggers count as axes instead of buttons.  The good news is that the SDL input code is due to be merged into FSOpen release builds within a new version or two, and as I understand things that will finally enable this controller restriction to be lifted (with some additional work of course).