Author Topic: Flickering, mouse trail, & other noob questions  (Read 1769 times)

Flickering, mouse trail, & other noob questions
Hi... okay, just installed everything (29 GB! sheesh...) and had some questions for anyone willing to help...

1) I know the recommended install says to put this into a C:\Games folder, but I generally install games to my 4TB external hard drive, which is what I did with Freespace 2 - especially when the full install with the mods is so large.  Is this going to cause any issues?  I'd really rather not hit my internal hard drive with 29GB devoted to one game.

2) I just started the game with the wxlauncher with the only mod selected MediaVPs 2014.  I noticed the intro movie looks pretty much exactly the same as vanilla Freespace 2.  Are there no graphical improvements to the cutscenes, or am I missing something?

3) When I start the game and get to the screen that shows a "New User Tip" window in the foreground and the game menu in the background, the background flickers badly and my mouse cursor leaves trails in the background.  This seems to happen whenever I have an in-game message window in the foreground and the game in the background.  I did a search, and couldn't find anyone who's had this problem - wasn't in the FAQs either.  I can live with it, since the message windows don't flicker and the mouse doesn't leave a trail otherwise, but it's going to bug me if I don't figure out why it's happening.

Thanks!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Flickering, mouse trail, & other noob questions
1) I know the recommended install says to put this into a C:\Games folder, but I generally install games to my 4TB external hard drive, which is what I did with Freespace 2 - especially when the full install with the mods is so large.  Is this going to cause any issues?  I'd really rather not hit my internal hard drive with 29GB devoted to one game.

We recommend C:\Games as it is a reasonably short path name, but it is by no means required. As long as the overall path is short and not some monstrosity like "D:\Games\GamesFrom1999\SpaceSims\ActuallyGoodOnes\Best\FreeSpace\FreeSpace2\", everything's going to be fine.

2) I just started the game with the wxlauncher with the only mod selected MediaVPs 2014.  I noticed the intro movie looks pretty much exactly the same as vanilla Freespace 2.  Are there no graphical improvements to the cutscenes, or am I missing something?

There are no higher-res versions of the cutscenes available. Everything is as expected.

3) When I start the game and get to the screen that shows a "New User Tip" window in the foreground and the game menu in the background, the background flickers badly and my mouse cursor leaves trails in the background.  This seems to happen whenever I have an in-game message window in the foreground and the game in the background.  I did a search, and couldn't find anyone who's had this problem - wasn't in the FAQs either.  I can live with it, since the message windows don't flicker and the mouse doesn't leave a trail otherwise, but it's going to bug me if I don't figure out why it's happening.

What sort of GPU are you using?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder

I've had a similar problem, setting the game to run in compatibility mode with XP SP3 fixed it.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Thanks for responding E & Wardog... I've got a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960.

Wardog, I tried compatibility mode, and no change.  Still have flickering and mouse trace when I have a window in the foreground.  I'll try some other compatibility modes and I'll post if they work, but so far no bueno.

I also tried using different executables (I started with 3.7.4 RC1 SSE2, then 3.7.2, then 3.7.4 RC1), all three in XP SP3 compatibility mode, and the flickering and mouse trail persisted in all three.

Oh, and my path is relatively short... A:\Video Games\PC\1996-2000\Freespace 2.  (I've been told not to use A for my external hard drive because A was historically reserved for floppies, but c'est la vie - it's too late now, and I haven't yet had any problems doing it).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:38:42 am by bacchuspup »

Freespace port has some redone custscenes by mjn, FS2 doesn't. So you'll just have to live with the in-game graphics looking quite a lot better than the cutscenes.

For the flickering, are you using any sort of OSD like fraps or a similar FPS display? The Freespace mainhall and menus don't really like those for whatever reason. It should be fine in-game though.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Thanks Feek... I was all ready to thank you and consider myself a moron, because I was using fraps... but I turned it off, and the problem persists.  Annoying that I appear to be the only one experiencing this (or at least where a compatibility switch doesn't correct it).

Oh, and yeah, it doesn't appear to be a problem in-game anyway (like I said, only when I have a text window open in-game does it appear to show up).

One issue I have had in the past was that the game was not running the native resolution of the monitor.  I know it sounds weird but it drove me nuts just recently when I was setting up a new profile for the launcher... I disabled everything in the Advanced screen and still would flicker and had a mouse tail... check that

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
We recommend C:\Games as it is a reasonably short path name, but it is by no means required. As long as the overall path is short and not some monstrosity like "D:\Games\GamesFrom1999\SpaceSims\ActuallyGoodOnes\Best\FreeSpace\FreeSpace2\", everything's going to be fine.
Although actually even a monstrosity like "D:\Games\GamesFrom1999\SpaceSims\ActuallyGoodOnes\Best\FreeSpace\FreeSpace2\" shouldn't actually cause problems as long as you're running FSO 3.7.2 or newer; it's just very poor form regardless. ;)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.