Author Topic: Effect on engines, Freespace 2 campaign [SOLVED]  (Read 1118 times)

Effect on engines, Freespace 2 campaign [SOLVED]
I have this thing: found that freespace 2 with mods takes about 33gb on my drive so I've decided to slim it a bit. Uninstalled everything and made a new installation installing onlyb basic things (not all mods I mean). The game runs as before starting with wxlauncher but there are two things I'm not sure of...

1. I can't seem to get the cool effect of "engines blurring" not sure how this effect is called but the sensation of hot air moving. It was there before.

2. Starting the game (FS2open 3.7.2 SSE) I can only choose "freespace the great war campaign" "silent threat" and "operation templar" - there is no "freespace 2 campaign"

I've switched from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - but I don't guess this is the issue since the game runs almost correct. Tried different .exe - 3.7.4 RC1 but then the models of ships are gone and I can only see the engines - still without the "hot air effect".

Running on geforce gt 555m (laptop) with the latest drivers. Could it be somehow that it's the drivers issue?

Please help, I can't imagine playing without the effect since I've seen it's awesomeness:)

Update 1:
I'll consider above mentioned solution (DefCynodont119 & Wobble73) as quickly as I am able to run the game again. Something got messed up again and wxlauncher doesn't see fs open files...bummer

By the way - how to totally clean the system from previous installations. Is simple uninstall enough? Or do I have to run a ccleaner or sth like that. Downloaded everything with fso installer yet I can't see no fs open files in the Freespace folder and they were checked in the installer. Odd things happen. Guess it's just one of those days...

Update 2:
Having nothing to do while mods are downloading so I'm updating

Something totally went wrong and installing FS in other location didn't change a thing. However! java FSO installer has a box to check called something like "run the installer again to update/overwrite already installed components" seems to do the trick since fs open files this time are visible in the folder. So I guess that this time wxlauncher will see them :)

Update 3 ISSUE SOLVED:
thanks for reading and suggestions, everything is in perfect order  :yes:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:48:14 am by Metalowa_Glowa »

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: Effect on engines, Freespace 2 campaign
Make sure Both "MediaVPs_2014 and FSport-MediaVPs_2014 are installed. Other then that I'm not sure if windows 10 is causing parts of the problem, I never moved to it so I don't know.

But yeah, You do need the two MediaVPs mods for those to work.

Also take a look at the advanced settings tab in the Launcher, something in there may help you.

BTW Sorry if none of this helps, by my postcount (as of this post) you can see that I'm not the most experienced person here.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Re: Effect on engines, Freespace 2 campaign
If you can't find the FS2 campaign, that must mean you have the FSPort selected as a mod?, you need to select the MediaVPS_2104 only as a mod.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions