Author Topic: FSO issue: Crashes in hanger  (Read 1906 times)

FSO issue: Crashes in hanger
Hey all,

New to the forums but have been a fan of freespace and what you guys are doing for quite some time, I am currently having this problem whilst trying to run any of the .exes included in the installer. The game instantly crashes to desktop as soon as you enter the main menu kinda hanger bit after selecting a profile.

The game runs fine when loading up the fsport mod and seems to be able to handle the hanger with the original fs1 hanger, however any mods which use the original fs 2 hanger, where it gives you tip and you can press ok. Whenever I press okay I crash to desktop.

Problem is very annoying as have been playing fs1fine in preparation to start tthe 2nd one and can't get past the hanger! Any help greatly appreciated!

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:56:53 pm by cormack15 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: FSO issue: Crashes in hanger
That's odd, and the log doesn't give much useful info except to confirm that FSO just crashes hard, without tripping errors, warning or assertions. Do you get the same problem with all your existing pilots? Have you tried creating a new pilot?

Also, could you try 3.7.4RC2 which should be available in the installer (as of about a day ago).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Thanks for responding! Yes the crash occurs with all existing pilots and when creating a new pilot. And I have just tried the 3.7.4RC2 and get the same problem. I have attached the new log.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
:( So; the log is still not providing any useful info, could you try disabling there options in the launcher and see if that has any effect? (not that I'm really expecting any, but the next step is getting a stack trace which is a quite a bit more involved)

Code: [Select]
  -noenv
  -noglow
  -nospec
  -nonormal
  -noheight
  -nolightshafts
  -old_collision
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Yeah, disabling these options had no effect on the issue. So do you suggest following the steps on this page to get a stack trace?  :wtf:

Offline Yarn

...but the next step is getting a stack trace which is a quite a bit more involved
That page is in dire need of an update...
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah, I just realised it's still referring to SVN   :sigh:

cormack15; if you feel up to sorting through the relevant information from the page above & this page you could try getting a stack trace, but I realise that's a big & difficult ask. Otherwise you'll need to wait until the doco can be updated, or.....

Or maybe we could try turning on absolutely all debugging & see if that can narrow down the issue. This will create an absolutely massive logfile though... you'll need to host it somewhere else and just send the link. If you're up for that, read on.

Create a file called "debug_filter.cfg" in a new directory called "data" within your FSO install, (i.e. C:\Freespace 2\data\debug_filter.cfg)  The contents of the file should be as follows:

Code: [Select]
+General
+Parse
+Error
+Warning
+Registry
+OpenAL
+Network
+BmpFastLoad
+Sound
+BmpMan
+Paging
+SEXP
+Maps
+SHADER-DEBUG
+Weapons
+BmpInfo
+BMP DEBUG
+Alan
+lethality
+messaging
+Model
+wash
+AI
+OpenGL
+ModelAnim
+AB TRAIL
+Particles
+allender
+Beam
+Sandeep
+Jim
+lightning
+EVENTMUSIC
+missionlog
+CFileDebug

Then generate a new fs2_open.log file, post it somewhere like dropbox, or mediafire, and when done rename the debug_filter.cfg file so you don't get this behaviour each time you run debug.
----
----

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Create a file called "debug_filter.cfg" in a new directory called "data" within your FSO install, (i.e. C:\Freespace 2\data\debug_filter.cfg)  The contents of the file should be as follows:
It's a lot easier to just create a blank debug_filter.cfg file; when a message type not found in the filter file is found, it defaults to on, and then your debug_filter.cfg file will look like that big long list when FSO saves it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
... well dang, I've been grepping the code for nprintf statements to build my debug_filter.cfg files  :nervous:

(at least I know now!  :lol:)
----
----

Okay I will give this a shot! So just to confirm I create a blank debug_filter.cfg in directory 'data', then i run the launcher and tick all of the features under the 'debugging' option before launching?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
So just to confirm I create a blank debug_filter.cfg in directory 'data',

Do this part.

then i run the launcher and tick all of the features under the 'debugging' option before launching?

But don't do this part (assuming you mean the "Troubleshoot" section on the advanced settings tab)
----
----