Author Topic: Nasty explosion flickering?  (Read 1543 times)

Offline eicca

Nasty explosion flickering?
Whenever there's a big explosion (warheads, big ships, etc), anything with shockwaves, there's this horrible flickering that happens and sometimes I can see big squares around the shockwave area. This occurs on my machine with the Intel HD3000 GPU and my uncle's 2010 iMac with some way nicer nVidia. I can only assume it's an issue with shaders. Disabling framebuffer shockwaves solves the issue but doesn't look as cool and I have to believe I'm not the only one who's seen this issue.

Log attached. The game crashed right at shooting down a warhead.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Nasty explosion flickering?
At least in your case, an Intel HD3000 is waaaay outclassed when it comes to FS2 Open's more advanced features.  Older integrated cards were never really meant for gaming purposes, so they just don't have the firepower or feature-set to handle more complicated graphical effects.  Usually we recommend people with such cards to disable post-processing entirely, but if you can get by with just losing the shockwaves, you're already ahead of the game.  In your uncle's case, even if he has a discrete video card, the fact that it's from a 2010 system could mean that he has the same fundamental problem (and from what I understand Apple wasn't exactly great with their OpenGL support back then).  Trust me, I fully sympathize with this: at least until my current system build, I was stuck on a Radeon HD4670 for several years, and by the end it was in over its head when it came to FS2 as well.

Offline eicca

So an older driver/rendering method/whatever is at fault on both machines. Makes sense. It's just a little irritating though, his iMac can handle FSOpen maxxed out, lightshafts and everything, at well over 1080p but still flickers with the explosions... You'd think it'd be able to get at least the lower-end rendering right.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think there's some custom flags you can use to disable certain parts of the advanced rendering that allow FSO to behave properly on Intel / older graphics cards.  I know -no_glsl was one, but IIRC there were some in-between ones you could use that wouldn't completely drop advanced shader support?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I think there's some custom flags you can use to disable certain parts of the advanced rendering that allow FSO to behave properly on Intel / older graphics cards.  I know -no_glsl was one, but IIRC there were some in-between ones you could use that wouldn't completely drop advanced shader support?
Are you thinking of -disable_glsl_model? It was removed 8 months ago.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Yeah, probably that.

Offline eicca

I'll just turn off framebuffer shockwaves for now I guess. I rather like the thruster shaders to and I don't seem to have any issues with them.