Author Topic: Newb completely lost please advise  (Read 2013 times)

Newb completely lost please advise
Hi All, I need some help right off the bat.
I tried the search function and read the read this first but  I didn't see anything to help.
I installed FS2 from the game discs that I've had for years but was never able to play.
I downloaded the open al, no problem but not fso 3.7.4  I'm unable to open the fso  download, what program do I need?
I'm obviously not a modder, I just want to play the game with the updated graphics if possible.

Thanks.

Re: Newb completely lost please advise
The fso installer requires java in order to run.

Also, welcome to HLP !

We'll be happy to help :)

Thank you for helping.
When I tried opening fso with java I got a 3"x4" black window that popped on my screen for about a second.
Then nothing.
Tried running the game and set up tells me I have no 3d acceleration and the game won't play without it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Try running java -jar fsoinstaller.jar

(replace fsoinstaller.jar with the path\name of fsoinstaller)

If that doesn't work, check your Java version.  Maybe try updating it.

Thanks, X3 and jr2, I uninstalled java reinstalled and it worked. 
However when I try to play the game I get a window telling me it only detects 35mb of free space and the game requires 32mb, so I hit ok and nothing happens.  I have 119GB free space on my hard drive.

I was trying to start the game from the desktop shortcut should I be doing something different?

Offline Yarn

That shortcut probably points to the old retail EXE, which you don't want.

If you haven't done so already, run the wxLauncher installer (begins with "wxlauncher"), which should be located in your FS2 folder. After you've done that, use wxLauncher to run the game.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

X3NO, jr2 and Yarn thank you so much for your help!
The game is up and running. 
I needed something to take my mind off my troubles and I have wanted to play this game for a long time.
I really appreciate all the help

Does clicking on the kick A symbol mean you guys kick A?  If so I'm clicking them for each of you, multiple times if I'm able.

Thanks,  Jim

Offline Yarn

Does clicking on the kick A symbol mean you guys kick A?  If so I'm clicking them for each of you, multiple times if I'm able.
You mean the one next to "Report to moderator"? That just starts a game where you shoot the web page elements; it doesn't mark anyone as being awesome.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Well it should because you guys do kick A and are awesome!

Thanks again, have a good one.

Jim