Author Topic: How to roll and use throttle on joystick/gamepad?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline emark4

How to roll and use throttle on joystick/gamepad?
Im using a joystick / xbox one gamepad to play games but im curious why i cant bind the x and y rotation to the joystick in the options menu (where i can roll the ship) . I cant even increase my throttle with my slider on the joystick. Firing weapons and turing the ship works fine so im not worried on that.

I know there is a sticky thread reguarding joystick but i dont think any of them can answer what i am looking for.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: How to roll and use throttle on joystick/gamepad?
What do you have bound to these controls?  This is my setup with a Thrustmaster 16000M & roll + throttle work fine.

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline emark4

What do you have bound to these controls?  This is my setup with a Thrustmaster 16000M & roll + throttle work fine.

All i have bound to my joystick is turning left/right, and firiing my weapons. For some reason i cannot bind the z axis and rx axis.

How did you get that on your controls?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Select the item, click "bind" with the mouse, twist the stick or move the throttle and click accept. i.e same as binding anything else. If you've got a gamepad, maybe you need some 3rd party software to change the inputs? IIRC, some of the "throttles" are by default treated by the OS as buttons (i.e. left / neutral / right), not "axes", and FSO only allows "axes" to be bound to those two controls.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

That's a problem with xinput gamepads, your triggers and right stick won't get recognized in-game. You're going to have to use a program like xpadder to bind those to your keyboard and use them that way or use vjoy and UJR to translate your xinput gamepad into a virtual dinput gamepad that the game can fully recognize.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded