Author Topic: Help! Joystick is INSANELY SENSITIVE  (Read 3482 times)

Help! Joystick is INSANELY SENSITIVE
I'm new to FreeSpace, have been reading for years about how amazing it is, finally got FS2, got the installer, all the mods, etc., booted up FSPort, starting a mission....

WTF is up with this joystick sensitivity....

I turned the sensitivity all the way down and still a nudge of a nanometer in any direction sends my ship careening through space at an incredible rate. It's basically unplayable. I'm using a Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X, which I've used for TIE Fighter, Elite Dangerous, DCS, never once have I ever had any issues with it, sensitivity or otherwise. It's not a deadzone problem but the sensitivity of the input itself. I went through the Joystick FAQ thread in detail but didn't find anything that would help with this problem. I absolutely refuse on principle to play a space sim with a keyboard and mouse or gamepad. Any suggestions?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Help! Joystick is INSANELY SENSITIVE
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Also, if you could capture a short video of it in-mission, that may help. I'd like a screenshot of your options menu, either in the video or as a separate .jpg
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Log file is attached. I've taken a video of the mission here including the options menu. As you can see, sensitivity is all the way down. As soon as I'm out of the deadzone the response jumps to an incredible rate which is far too quick and oversensitive for me to aim precisely and even pass the training missions. It's not like it spins around 50 times per second once I move the joystick, but it's way too sensitive to be remotely playable.

As you can see in the video, this only happens in pitch and yaw- roll is a completely normal and playable rate of motion. Swapping the joystick axes that control those functions in the bindings doesn't fix the problem, it just moves it to another joystick axis- it's something in how the joystick response in any axis is getting translated to pitch and yaw in the game itself- the response curve is just unbelievably sensitive.

I guess basically what I'm getting at is, is there some way to either 1) affect the joystick response curve or 2) turn the sensitivity down more than the options allow? I saw there were some threads from a few years ago describing a fork of the code with joystick response curves as an option, but they don't seem to be in the most current 3.7.4 which I'm using.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That video looks normal to me. But do yourself a favor. Set the twisting axis to roll and the Y axis to yaw. It works better that way for FS2.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Looks like normal sensitivity for everything aside from the twist axis assigned to yaw. If I had to guess I'd say that only X and Y, and RX are included in the sensitivity adjustments. Your twist might be getting read as RY, RZ, or a throttle slider so sensitivity settings aren't applied.

Rolling the Apollo will always be "controllable" because it rolls extremely slowly. It can pitch and yaw at 112 degrees per second but rolls at a horribly slow 60 degrees per second.

Also have you tried using the more recent SDL2 builds? They might work better with modern sticks.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 04:45:41 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

What/where are the SDL2 builds?

The latest nightlies, located here.
They also make the game look much prettier thanks to PBR and HDR. You'll have to adjust your lighting settings though, the default bloom and ambient are  a bit too high.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Log file is attached. I've taken a video of the mission here including the options menu. As you can see, sensitivity is all the way down. As soon as I'm out of the deadzone the response jumps to an incredible rate which is far too quick and oversensitive for me to aim precisely and even pass the training missions. It's not like it spins around 50 times per second once I move the joystick, but it's way too sensitive to be remotely playable.

As you can see in the video, this only happens in pitch and yaw- roll is a completely normal and playable rate of motion. Swapping the joystick axes that control those functions in the bindings doesn't fix the problem, it just moves it to another joystick axis- it's something in how the joystick response in any axis is getting translated to pitch and yaw in the game itself- the response curve is just unbelievably sensitive.

I guess basically what I'm getting at is, is there some way to either 1) affect the joystick response curve or 2) turn the sensitivity down more than the options allow? I saw there were some threads from a few years ago describing a fork of the code with joystick response curves as an option, but they don't seem to be in the most current 3.7.4 which I'm using.

The pitch and roll rates look pretty normal, but the yaw rate is too much for your joystick's twist axis. Your joystick's twist axis has a much lower range of angles that it can do than the X and Y axes, which can make things tricky in some games because it'll seem like it is "hypersensitive" when compared to the other two axes. FSO is apparently one of those games.

There was a test build that played with axis sensitivity a year or so ago, but as far as I know, it wasn't incorporated into the code base. I'll give the author a holler to see if he's willing to make a PR for it on github. I don't remember if it did sensitivity on a per-axis basis, however, but it shouldn't be too difficult to add in.

Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Well it took a few days and a lot of fiddling, but with the help of Dxtweak2 and some joystick sensitivity adjustments.... I get it. What an amazing game. Right up there with TIE Fighter. How was I missing this all these years?

I think two things that threw me off were a) I see now in hindsight the very earliest and training missions involve the crappiest, unguided projectiles which are the worst your accuracy will ever be; b) now that I have both adjusted the joystick sensitivity itself and also learned better how to use afterburner and maneuvers to get near my targets I find getting targets in my sights is far easier. What a fantastic game.