Author Topic: Freespace 2 crashes after opening cutscene  (Read 1776 times)

Offline ashnack

Freespace 2 crashes after opening cutscene
Ok I have tried going thru the forums and for the life of me cant find any answers.

If I use wx launcher of the 5.5g one  same issue happens as soon as the opening cut-scene ends game crashes out same if I try skipping the scene.

I have tried changing screen res to almost all the different ones available no change.
I deleted multi mission vp file as suggested  no difference.
if I launch game by its on FS2.exe game runs normally.  I even tried running NO MODS from both launchers same issue. tried other mods in the list same thing.

I created a log file and added as attachment   only thing left to try is uninstalling and re installing the whole lot.

UPDATE.
Fresh install of well everything didn't make any difference  game runs without using any mods or modified launchers just the STEAM exe. stumped at what to do next realy want to play with new updated stuff and play some of these awesome looking mods :(

and also MP wont work via IP  lol or using that logon thing .... 

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:44:45 pm by ashnack »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: Freespace 2 crashes after opening cutscene
Can you open D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Freespace 2\data\players and delete (or move to a different folder) the Baron.plr file? It seems that FSO crashes while trying to load it (it's your save file).

Offline ashnack

ty for the reply I guess I kinda did that anyway I completely uninstalled everything and deleted the freespace 2 folder from steam dir  after fresh install base game wouldn't even load  kinda odd  so I installed FSO mods from scratch and used wxlauncher  and managed to play blue planet  I then installed the bsg mod that wont work lol  I then tried  no mods apart from graphics update 2014 and so far works perfectly :) just need to get MP working and the BSG mod working and ill be one happy bunny   lol will sort later time for sleep :P

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
BSG? Are you talking about Diaspora or Beyond The Red Line?

If you're interested in multiplayer, you should probably join HLP's Discord. Sadly there aren't that many people playing multiplayer these days.
Here's the old multiplayer guide. I think you can disregard the outdated patch link and obviously you shouldn't use the old builds (or the 5.5g Launcher) mentioned there and instead use the build you already have and wxLauncher.

Offline ashnack

Its the Diaspora version (gonna check that forum  first today to trouble shoot it).  thanks for the tip on Discord   the MP is mainly so I can do co op with a friend :)  but ill look at the link today that you provided   ty :) and many thanks for the help you have given :D

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
No problem. :)
Regarding Diaspora: You're not supposed to install it in your FS2 folder because it's a TC (Total Conversion). It's standalone. Maybe that caused your issues?
Feel free to post again when you get stuck.