Author Topic: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot  (Read 162877 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Re: RELEASE: The Aftermath Reboot
I have received your alternate script and I like it. I will redo the mission immediately. I will still retain the original rebooted campaign of course but I will release this version with a different ending as an alternate campaign that can be downloaded. Some players might like the original. Thanks CT.

Offline CT27

Thank you.  I'm glad you liked it.

One minor issue is that if you're releasing two versions of the campaign...which will be the canon ending for when you do the sequel?

I thought of a way the issue might be solved:

Spoiler:
  When "Blue Guardian" begins you could say the Terrans were so fascinated by the Avenger that after the Shivan threat was neutralized and the Shivan emperor killed the GTVA decided to take apart the Avenger to study it and think about trying to build a Terran version of the Strike Cruiser.
That would explain why the Avenger wouldn't be in the sequel.

That kind of de jure makes my suggested version the canon ending but also de facto allows for your original ending to work too.  What do you think Herkie?

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Which is the cannon. Well, both I guess. Because the overall plot is just the same and it will not affect the sequel. And regarding with the Avenger...Ooops spoiler alert. :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
NEW UPDATE AVAILABLE!

I have released the third update and an alternate version of the campaign with a slightly different but upbeat ending. Check the opening post and download them.

I will take a break from modding as of this time (except for tackling updates). It's time to download other mods like Between the Ashes and Diaspora. but I'm really looking forward for Exile. I guess I need to recharge my brain for the sequel and learn some new tricks. Happy gaming everyone!

Offline CKid

I can't remember, If I am half way through the campaign and download the new update, do I need to restart the campaign or will all my progress be saved? Would rather not want to restart when I am 40 missions in.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline CT27

I've installed campaign updates before in the middle of a campaign and it didn't wreck me.

You might want to wait for Herkie to respond to be 100% sure, but I think you'd be safe.  Though my experience doesn't always translate to other people.

Offline CT27

Which is the cannon. Well, both I guess. Because the overall plot is just the same and it will not affect the sequel. And regarding with the Avenger...Ooops spoiler alert. :)

As for the Avenger:

Spoiler:
I wasn't trying to say you should or shouldn't have the Avenger in the sequel.  I'm just saying that if you don't have the Avenger in the sequel...it's still explainable with the alternate "Aftermath:  Reboot" ending with a small explanation in "Blue Guardian".

I'm just making a minor writing suggestion:  in the sequel, since strike cruisers and the Avenger corvette were so successful and powerful, you might want to have the GTVA want to try to make their own model or at least say something about it.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I can't remember, If I am half way through the campaign and download the new update, do I need to restart the campaign or will all my progress be saved? Would rather not want to restart when I am 40 missions in.

Your progress will not be affected. You don't need to restart. If you want to see the changes you just have to replay in the techroom mission simulator. When I say replay, it does not mean restart campaign.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:53:52 pm by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
As for the Avenger... Well, the existence of that ship will actually play a major catalyst for the chaos that is going to unfold in the sequel. I can safely say this  without spoiler alert.

Offline CT27

I played your alternate ending that you made and I really liked it Herkie.  Thanks for doing so much work on a suggestion I made.  Like I said earlier, I'm willing to help with writing the sequel when you're ready.

Earlier I said I'd write a review on what I liked better about certain plot elements of "The Aftermath:  Reboot" vs. the original, I'll do that now:

Spoiler:
One of the things I really liked about Reboot was all the tech descriptions of the new ships; those were very interesting to read.

One particular thing I liked was the description of Hargrove.  I liked that Earth hasn't been forgotten about.  Basically it made it sound like Hargrove made a deal with the GTVA that she would work on new military technologies if the government would resume Sol Gate work.

Also, as I and others have said before, the Widowmaker missile is awesome. :) 

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks CT. :) :yes:

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I am doing another bug hunt, grammar checks and improvements.

Offline CT27

A minor piece of grammar correction that I forgot to add to a PM I sent recently.

A military mission that someone goes on is spelled "sortie" and not "sorty".  I'm not bringing that up to critique your personal English but because I believe I saw that minor mistake in the game.

Just a minor spelling thing since you said you're looking for that sort of stuff.  Is that the kind of thing we can point out?  Or do you want to move on from that and focus on more important things like possible bug issues?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:58:54 pm by CT27 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I will appreciate ALL issues you encounter including the tiny ones.

I think this will be my last bug hunt/spellcheck/polishing phase. By the way, thanks for the heads up. I wonder why Microsoft Word did not register it as an error. In any case, I will correct that.

After this, I will move on to work on the sequel.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:46:02 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

I will appreciate ALL issues you encounter including the tiny ones.

I think this will be my last bug hunt/spellcheck/polishing phase. By the way, thanks for the heads up. I wonder why Microsoft Word did not register it as an error. In any case, I will correct that.

After this, I will move on to work on the sequel.

I noticed a few minor spelling and grammar issues in the "alternate ending" version of Dragon Slayer and the cutscene right after that

1-When the Boreas pilot says we can take this new group that's coming in and Command says it's "worst" than you think...that's word isn't misspelled, but grammatically it should be "worse"

2-When Command says think of the greater good and we may not get another "oppurtunity", the spelling should be "opportunity"

3-In the cutscene right after Dragon Slayer when the Regulus and Odyssey are doing a patrol of Gamma Draconis, they report in their findings to Command and Command starts off its reply by saying "Acknowledge, Regulus".  There's no misspelling there, but in terms of grammar it should read "Acknowledged, Regulus".  Without the "d" at the end there it is like Command is giving the Regulus an order, but with the "d" at the end, Command is admitting they heard the Regulus' report.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks, CT. I will correct those. Corrections will be there in the update.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I have posted more pictures in the thread "Screenshots and Images." and a new thread "Cutscenes and In-game videos." Check it out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:50:13 am by herkie423 »

Offline CT27

I just noticed "The Aftermath:  Reboot" is now on the Installer (though it also gives a notice to visit here for the latest updates)

Congratulations!  :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Thanks, CT. And a million thanks to Goober5000. :yes:

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Let's take a vote.

Now, I have released two campaign versions. The only difference between them is how they end. So, the question is which of the version do you prefer? The original reboot or the alternate?

Your decision will seal it as "The Aftermath" canon and will determine the story line for the sequel I am now working on.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:09:05 pm by herkie423 »