Author Topic: FRED Now Accessible To All  (Read 5262 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FRED Now Accessible To All
Microsoft released Visual Studio Community 2013 which is a full version of Visual Studio for use with non-enterprise projects. This is a big deal for us because it comes with the MFC libraries. These libraries, being required to build FRED, mean FRED is now that much more accessible to more developers to enhance and fix bugs. (Until that glorious day in the future where wxFRED becomes a usable thing.)

I had a little trouble building FRED at first. Turns out I simply needed to install this too.

Just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention because I'm not sure if everyone saw Fury's post in IRC.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:51:06 am by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: FRED Now Accessible To All
Woah. It really works. Awesome. :yes:

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
gah, beat me to the punch. That's what I get for having too many tasks in the queue.

Regarding wxFRED, this should also help with the reverse engineering of FRED so that the team can make better stuff (or maybe help maintain FRED, too).

z64555 makes a note to hurry up with his other projects so he can commit to wxFRED
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
And what does it means for simple mission designers and part time users that have no idea about FRED code and all?
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Nothing. Carry on as usual.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
mjn, I can't access that second download, it's behind some sort of authentication mechanism.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Not quite. It probably means more updates and faster bug fixes for them since coders who couldn't fix FRED bugs or add FRED features before, now can.

But yeah, nothing directly. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
mjn, I can't access that second download, it's behind some sort of authentication mechanism.
It's the MFC libraries for VS2013.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I *think* I fixed the link. But yeah, just the libraries for 2013.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
So, the first download, doesn't actually with the MFCs, but it works with the ones available as a separate download?  Does this include the static linking library files?  That's the key piece we were missing before I think.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All I did was install VS Community 2013 and tried to build. FRED failed with an error and a web link to follow for help. I went to the link which said to install the second thing. Did that. Built and it worked.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
It's the same libraries I had to install to compile FRED under VS 2013 Professional, so it's looking like "Community" having the same capabilities as Professional is confirmed.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam

Not quite. It probably means more updates and faster bug fixes for them since coders who couldn't fix FRED bugs or add FRED features before, now can.

But yeah, nothing directly. :)

So that would mean that we can get the Ctrl+C Ctrl+V shortcuts and things like working already? That would be awesome (as for me)
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Current fred2_open requires MFC libraries which previous free edition of Visual Studio (Express) did not support. The new free edition of Visual Studio (Community) does. This means that developers who did not have access to recent versions of Visual Studio through their work or school can now use the Community edition of the latest Visual Studio to develop and compile fred2_open.

It does not mean that something is now possible that previously wasn't. It does not mean that anyone is still going to get around to doing X or Y, although there is a higher chance of it happening if more developers now can work on fred2_open. It does not mean that there actually will be more developers working on fred2_open, this simply removes one potentially expensive obstacle to that however.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
z64555 apparently had a problem where VS 2013 community installer was installing Windows Phone emulator even though it was not selected. You should let it install it without canceling. You can later remove windows phone emulators in control panel --> programs and features.

If you install the phone emulator, it also installs hyper-v. If it is installed, you cannot run other virtualization software like virtualbox. You can remove hyper-v in control panel --> programs and features --> turn windows features on or off.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The MFC's still works with existing VS Express install even without the phone emulator or VS community .exe, but at this point I'm not sure if there are any consequences from this.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That's because Visual Studio family (Express,Community,Professional, etc) all share most of their data. The community edition installs more or less the same bits as Professional does. Installing VS Pro over Express would do the same thing.

Express is now obsolete and I don't think there is any need to keep it around.