Author Topic: FS RTS Mod  (Read 57903 times)

Will it be possible to jump into first-person-mode of fighters/capital ships from the RTS-interface?
Now it is possible:
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Does it play nice with the Capship Command script?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Will it be possible to jump into first-person-mode of fighters/capital ships from the RTS-interface?
Now it is possible:
[snip]
Very cool stuff! :yes:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Could you implement other RTS mechanics, like building ships (ship-create) or extracting resources (metals from asteroids, hydrogen from nebulas..)?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

No idea - I never used any of the capship command scripts out there besides the one in BP cause it was part of the campaign :p
Unless you want to test it that won't happen anytime soon.

Could you implement other RTS mechanics, like building ships (ship-create) or extracting resources (metals from asteroids, hydrogen from nebulas..)?
Not within the next months. This would be a huge and complicated addition for internal management and interface. Freespace also doesn't like mass use of createShip and it prevents any meaningful use of FRED.
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
No idea - I never used any of the capship command scripts out there besides the one in BP cause it was part of the campaign :p
Unless you want to test it that won't happen anytime soon.
Send the script over then, I'd be glad to test it with the updated CSC script. I've got to start doing FS stuff again, so it'll be a good start.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Now it is possible:

That is quite awesome. No...it's really, really super awesome. Any plans for a release?

Any plans for a release?

The script itself is still missing some features I would like to add - nonetheless it could be released in its current state after some more testing and bugfixing. All major features are already implemented.
The problem is that I don't have any missions for it and I don't want to release it without at least a tutorial and a demo of what is possible. Now my FREDing skills aren't the best and currently I don't have the time to work on the script and missions. That's why I asked for people willing to help but there were no replies :(. As long as I'm working on this alone it'll take its time...
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline mralexs

• I'm White and Nerdy
Sorry for the necro, but has there been any progress on this? I don't want it to die  :(

I was really busy with non FSO stuff and there was no progress for the last 2 months but it's not dead at all. It may take some time but there is a small campaign in the making and I hope I can get back to it when things settle down in the next few weeks.

In general the script is working and usable and if it gets stuck I can still release it as it is and just fix whatever bugs people find.
Freespace RTS Mod

Since I'm back home I also started working on this again.
It's mostly work on the capship AI now. I already fixed some problems in the movement system since FSO handles input for linear movement very different from rotations.

Getting a standalone version of the capship AI looks harder than expected as it is tied to many of the other RTS functions for AI handling. At the moment it acts automatically when a capship gets an order to attack another capship. I don't think that behaviour is good for any standalone version.
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline wookieejedi

I for one (though I don't think I am alone) am very excited to hear you are back to working on the capship AI!

@wookieejedi, No. You are not alone :D

Awesome, keep up the good work Admiral! o7

Things are progressing slowly. For now I made something that should prevent friendly fire (with beams, slow travelling weapons may still hit something) based on a scripted collision check. That means if a turret shot will likely pass through a friendly ships' bounding box on the way to the targets' bounding box it won't fire.

Now the problem is that it needs to find alternative targets and check them again and so on. Also some kind of pathfinding for evading other caps would be nice but I have absolutely no idea how to achieve that technically and mathematically...
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline wookieejedi

Glad to hear about the progress! Preventing friendly fire from cap-ships would excellent and go a long way in making the cap ship behavior more realistic.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Admiral MS, are you still working on this at all? I starting playing around with mission ideas.. but the script is just too buggy currently. :(
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Just a little update on this: After a too long break I came back to the RTS script. It now has a better camera control that lets the player select one ship (or a group of ships), rotate around it and zoom while it follows the movement of said ship. Also all the other camera controls have been changed to be easier to use. Doesn't sound like much but it feels like a huge improvement compared to the old version. :)

Additionally I hope I can modularise the script in such a way that the capship AI can be run as a standalone with just some basic funcionality required.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:08:12 pm by Admiral MS »
Freespace RTS Mod

Offline wookieejedi

Just a little update on this: After a too long break I came back to the RTS script. It now has a better camera control that lets the player select one ship (or a group of ships), rotate around it and zoom while it follows the movement of said ship. Also all the other camera controls have been changed to be easier to use. Doesn't sound like much but it feels like a huge improvement compared to the old version. :)

Additionally I hope I can modularise the script in such a way that the capship AI can be run as a standalone with just some basic funcionality required.

Sounds awesome! I always really liked this project and it is great to see you are still working on it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
So when are we going to see a public release of something? ;7
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.