Author Topic: New heavy frigate  (Read 48198 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Hell  :shaking: theres not way this is going into freespace blueplanet at war, sins has a 40000 triangle limit.
How did you even Solaris
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Le modèle en Sins n'est pas un Solaris...

This ship suffers of the same problem Esarai's ship's reactor does: The amount of polygons, IS TOO DAM HIGH!

You have to start getting along with the idea of 5 ~ 6 sided tubes. Unless it's a unique piece that really demands attention (Ex: a SJ's Claw), using that many polies is bad for optimization and adds more texture/UVW work, as well as making the thing a 'memory-vore'. Textures and Gouraud shading can do wonders when done right.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:04:34 am by An4ximandros »

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
Hell  :shaking: theres not way this is going into freespace blueplanet at war, sins has a 40000 triangle limit.
How did you even Solaris

though heaps of magic optimizing  :D
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
the decimate modifier is your friend, it has an option to auto reduce polys,  in your case, the option to merge faces with angles lower than 5% might be a good idea
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

But... esarai's Murugan is over 80000 faces. Are you saying it could not been in BP too?

the decimate modifier is your friend, it has an option to auto reduce polys,  in your case, the option to merge faces with angles lower than 5% might be a good idea
Do you mean the "limited dissolve" command in blender? I am a bit reluctant to use it, because it seems to cause facet distortion. But yes, it kills half the polys...

Offline fightermedic

i'm talking about the decimate modifier, it's labeled ecatly like that
check the "Generate" section in the modifiers panel
it doesn't work super well when you have a lot of different materials assigned, that should not be distorted too much, but i don't think this is the case here, is it?
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline majorvader111

But... esarai's Murugan is over 80000 faces. Are you saying it could not been in BP too?

No i got that in too with heaps of magic optimizing too

Wait a second! I didn't realize that BP at war was the Sins of a solar empire mod! Is there the 40000 polys limit also in BP act 4-5 for Freespace?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nope, he's talking about FSBPAW. There's no poly limit in BP, so you might see some really computer-melting models in there. :)

Offline majorvader111

Wait a second! I didn't realize that BP at war was the Sins of a solar empire mod! Is there the 40000 polys limit also in BP act 4-5 for Freespace?

Woops looks like i forgot to tell you that  ;)

HEEEERE I am again with a MAJOR UPDATE! The modelling phase is finished! The beast is ready to be textured, so pray for me: I'll be going through another hell!
Now, I've managed to reduce the policount to 60000 polys. In order to do this I replaced the main railguns with new ones and I reduced their number to 4 (8 was excessive). I'm very happy with this new version because they feel different from ordinary cannon-like railguns. Moreover, the upper fore side has been completelly reworked to obtain a more regular and rational shape.
I also expanded the fore hangar entrance and simplified the inner hangar structure; the doors are still missing but I was eager to submit this update after such a long time.
So here some shots, enjoy!

PS: I didn't choose a name for it yet, so advices are welcome!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Longinus? :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Numinit.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline fightermedic

congratulations, it is looking very very awesome
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Nice ship. (I bet you are getting tired of me saying slight variants of that phrase. :P)

As for a name, how about Ekajaṭā?

Nice ship. (I bet you are getting tired of me saying slight variants of that phrase. :P)

As for a name, how about Ekajaṭā?

No no, continue please!!  :D
The name sounds awfully but the description on the wiki appeals to me very much...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
wow.  That looks awesome  :yes:

(and I can't think of any names that'll do it justice right now...)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
If you want to keep in line w/ the UEF feel, then anything Indic should sound good.  I personally suggest Vijaya (Sanskrit for "victorious").

R

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
For a name how about Rudra? Rudra is a Rigvedic god of Storms and the Hunt.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
There's no poly limit in BP

Bumping this discussion to note: I recently ran into a 64k vertex (not poly) limit per subobject. If you have a subobject that's over 64k vertices, you'll need to split it up or remove some detail for it to work in FS.

Clarification: the vertex count you'll see in Blender/Wings/etc is lower than the number that will exist in the POF, because of vertices being split into smoothgroups. Basically, for every hard edge that a vertex is a part of, that vertex will be duplicated.

Non-clarification: when bugging people about this on IRC I was told the limit is "64k". Not sure what it is exactly, be it 64000, 65536, 65535 or some other number. I kept my subobjects below 64000 to be safe.

ON (a recent) topic: This is an excellent model! Slight criticism: Some of those turrets near the center look like they wouldn't be able to pivot fully. In any case, it has an excellent aesthetic that isn't very common in FS, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with textures!