Author Topic: Blender Ship  (Read 1851 times)

Good evening, everybody. After feeling really disgusted with using Blender (I used to use 3dsmax), I decided to whip up some random ship. This was not done from a concept sketch or anything, just me messing around really.

The thing I hate about it is that it reminds me of Blender ships back in the day: they look like ships made with... well, Blender...

I should also note for those unaware: I'm a programmer for a living, but having to dig into 3D modeling lately for a project.

Offline rhettro

Looks like a good first step. Are you just sharing your design or are you looking for advice on your design and/or Blender?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Ok a few things come to mind.

1) unless you absolutely need to objects dont need to be manifold which can help break up the highly blockish look and avoid ugly looking extrusions.
2) careful use of the bevel function manipulating the divisions and other settings can be used to quickly round out sharp edges
3) use of smooth and edge split will help smooth out transitions between faces of differing angles
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Looks like a good first step. Are you just sharing your design or are you looking for advice on your design and/or Blender?
Oh, either one but the design is totally improvised. Definitely not much experience with Blender - used to do a bit more with 3dsmax.

Quote from: headdie
1) unless you absolutely need to objects dont need to be manifold which can help break up the highly blockish look and avoid ugly looking extrusions.
2) careful use of the bevel function manipulating the divisions and other settings can be used to quickly round out sharp edges
3) use of smooth and edge split will help smooth out transitions between faces of differing angles
Do you know the comparison between MeshSmooth vs Blender's subdivision surface? They seem to kind of be the same thing to some extent. We just need to give more geometry for those modifiers to work well, sort of?