Author Topic: How to end a mission when player lands in hangar bay  (Read 1216 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
How to end a mission when player lands in hangar bay
Hey all!

So numerous campaigns, particularly Blue Planet, feature some kind of FREDing trick that ends the mission when the player flies into the hangar bay of a capital ship. I would like to do this myself, but I can't figure out how. Could someone explain this?

Thanks!

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Re: How to end a mission when player lands in hangar bay
Use the end-mission SEXP when the player is (say) 500 meters or less from the fighterbay of the capship you're landing on.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
In your event's conditional branch, use the < operator, then make one of its subcases 'distance'. I think there might be a 'distance-ship-subsystem' or somesuch.

And don't set it too low or your player will have to bump around inside the hanger until he finally gets close enough to trigger the event.  This works fine if comedy is your aim, but it can kind of break the mood in a for-super-serious mission.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
And don't set it too low or your player will have to bump around inside the hanger until he finally gets close enough to trigger the event.  This works fine if comedy is your aim, but it can kind of break the mood in a for-super-serious mission.

Oh yeah, I've had this happen to me in some campaigns.

Looks like that symbolic expression is only available when using one of those comparative operators. That confused me for a bit - I can't just add it in without having the "<" or some such operator first.

Thanks guys, I think I'm good now! :)