Author Topic: Extracting FS2 Open Models?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Cyph3r

Extracting FS2 Open Models?
Hi All,

I'm a fairly proficient 3d modeler of 6/7 years now. I absolutely love FS2 and have done since it's release. I wish to delve into some modelling for FS2 but I was wondering how I can extract the models from FSO? (Or even the default FS models) that I load up in 3DSMax to easily get a feel for the proportions/scale.

Thanks

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Extracting FS2 Open Models?
To extract FS models, you will need two tools. First, a VP extractor to pull files out of the archives FS2 uses (I am partial to vpgui). Second, you'll need PCS2 to open the model files FS uses. You can then use PCS2 to convert them to Collada format.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Cyph3r

To extract FS models, you will need two tools. First, a VP extractor to pull files out of the archives FS2 uses (I am partial to vpgui). Second, you'll need PCS2 to open the model files FS uses. You can then use PCS2 to convert them to Collada format.

Thanks The E! Awesomely quick reply :)

Hopefully I'll be able to show off some models to the community soon.

While I have this topic as well, can you tell me what "HTL" means?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Hardware Textures & Lighting, "The HLP community" have tended to use HTL to mean a 'high poly count' model which isn't really correct ;)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hardware Textures & Lighting, "The HLP community" have tended to use HTL to mean a 'high poly count' model which isn't really correct ;)
Hardware Transform and Lighting, actually.

To explain somewhat more fully, Cyph3r, the "misuse" of the term is a historical quirk of FreeSpace Open development. Originally, the engine used software rendering; when hardware rendering was added, it became possible to render more detailed ships with less of a performance impact: in other words, really high quality ships were only viable when rendering on the hardware, which was possible once HTL was added to the engine. As a result, the term "HTL" started being associated with models too detailed for software rendering.

Since this applies to just about every model nowadays, and since the term is confusing to anyone who doesn't know the history, most people have just stopped using it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cyph3r

Hardware Transform and Lighting, actually.

To explain somewhat more fully, Cyph3r, the "misuse" of the term is a historical quirk of FreeSpace Open development. Originally, the engine used software rendering; when hardware rendering was added, it became possible to render more detailed ships with less of a performance impact: in other words, really high quality ships were only viable when rendering on the hardware, which was possible once HTL was added to the engine. As a result, the term "HTL" started being associated with models too detailed for software rendering.

Since this applies to just about every model nowadays, and since the term is confusing to anyone who doesn't know the history, most people have just stopped using it.

Ah! I did assume it meant Hardware Transform and Lighting but I was confused as to how the term was relevant. Now makes complete sense, thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:welcome:

I'd recommend reading some of the articles on the FS Wiki to get you started! Here's the link to the Modding Portal.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
You will also need to download the open collada.dll for 3ds max, to be able to open and export the models in 3ds max. The DLL doesnt work with any 3ds max after 2012. I have 3ds max 2014 and 15 and the plugin doesnt work with any of those. The link for the collada plugin should be somewhere in the freesoace wiki, i cant rem the link offhand
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
You will also need to download the open collada.dll for 3ds max, to be able to open and export the models in 3ds max. The DLL doesnt work with any 3ds max after 2012. I have 3ds max 2014 and 15 and the plugin doesnt work with any of those. The link for the collada plugin should be somewhere in the freesoace wiki, i cant rem the link offhand

No, just google for it. As of right now, OpenCollada claims to work with all Max versions 2011-2016.

Offline Cyph3r

The .dae's went straight into 3DSMax 2015 with no issue for me :)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Really wow, they refuse to work for me in 2015 hmm....
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Really wow, they refuse to work for me in 2015 hmm....

Time for a repair install of 2015?