Author Topic: Problem with mesh  (Read 2111 times)

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Hi.

I was trying to include a model in my mod, after many test, the mesh always is deformed inside the Engine.
It works well with 3Ds Max and PCS2, but something happens when is included on game.

The polygons of the red structure has something wrong, because they collapse the rest of the model.

Anyone know how to fix it ?, is a common problem ?

Many thanks.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That is... really weird.

Have you tried triangulating those areas?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
You don't have a particularly massive amount of tris/verts, do you?

If you want, you can PM me the .max file (at the moment of exporting) and I can take a look.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
That is... really weird.

Have you tried triangulating those areas?

Yes i tried, the problem continues. Anyway, the original model is TRI, not QUAD, is ported from GameCube, Rogue Leader  :)

There are two pieces of mesh that causes the problem

I remember a long time ago same problem, and if I remember correctly, I think it was with a big mesh as well.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
You don't have a particularly massive amount of tris/verts, do you?

Looks normal talking about polys...

The only special thing, was that I had to apply a Normal modifyer, just to flip inverted normals caused by the ripping process.

If you want, you can PM me the .max file (at the moment of exporting) and I can take a look.

I will try a bit more, if I can not find the problem, i will send you  :p

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've had a somewhat similar issue with a station in WoD, the issue would only pop up on certain builds but not show its ugly rear on other (newer) ones. It would also happen in FRED.

Since you are using max, I have to ask: Have you tried resetting the x-form on this model before exporting? This has a tendency to fix a lot of silly issues. (If you haven't worked with reset x-form before, be sure to unlink every thing before doing it.)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
I've had a somewhat similar issue with a station in WoD, the issue would only pop up on certain builds but not show its ugly rear on other (newer) ones. It would also happen in FRED.

Since you are using max, I have to ask: Have you tried resetting the x-form on this model before exporting? This has a tendency to fix a lot of silly issues. (If you haven't worked with reset x-form before, be sure to unlink every thing before doing it.)

Yes, it happend as well in FRED editor.

Yes, i tried resetting the X-form, I learned in a tutorial here and I always do.
Without X-Form sometimes PCS2 can´t find the geometry, but this is another thing ...

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
I forgot to say, that if i export the the conflicting mesh independently, the problem disappears.

But when I attacht it to the detail0 mesh , it collapse.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Well, some progress, erasing all information of UWmap, and just 1 texture applied , don´t collapse

May be this is the key   :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
How many polys red part has?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

If the model was pulled from a GameCube game then surely it can't have that many polygons?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Anyone know how to fix it ?, is a common problem ?

haha awesome, (this was the space station that Lucasarts ripped from '2001 space odyssey').

Anyway, I remember having an issue like this once.
It was resolved by double checking the mesh for overlapping/duplicate faces and unwelded vertices.

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
How many polys red part has?

If the model was pulled from a GameCube game then surely it can't have that many polygons?

The red part has only 4.000 TRI Polys.

haha awesome, (this was the space station that Lucasarts ripped from '2001 space odyssey').

You totally right, i didn´t noticed, is cloned !!   :lol:

Anyway, I remember having an issue like this once.
It was resolved by double checking the mesh for overlapping/duplicate faces and unwelded vertices.

Yes, it seems something like that, i will try to inspect again, thanks   ;)

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
I have the same problem again with another mesh.   :banghead:

About the GameCube model, i was testing it with the STL modyfier, and it give me some errors on the mesh.

At least I could solve it linking the parts to the LOD and not making an attachment.

This trick seems to work, if someone has the same problem and cannot solve it.