Author Topic: "$Append Suffix:" in Messages.tbl  (Read 2580 times)

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"$Append Suffix:" in Messages.tbl
On the wiki page for Messages.tbl, there's an entry for the tag $Append Suffix, which supposedly allows you to toggle whether you need "A", "B" or "C" for the headanis for that message.

I'd like to use this tag to reduce the amount of files needed for new personas, but in both 3.7.2 and the latest 3.7.4 Release Candidate, I keep getting errors from the parser. This happens both when I put it in the order shown on the wiki page:

Code: [Select]
$Name: All Clear
$Message: XSTR("It seems that the operation has completed.", -1)
+Persona: Kancolle_Fubuki
+Avi Name: Kancolle_Fubuki
+Wave Name: Fubuki-RFS.ogg
$Append Suffix: no

And if I put it here:

$Name: All Clear
$Message: XSTR("It seems that the operation has completed.", -1)
$Append Suffix: no
+Persona: Kancolle_Fubuki
+Avi Name: Kancolle_Fubuki
+Wave Name: Fubuki-RFS.ogg

Is this tag actually implemented, and if so, where does it go?

Offline Yarn

Re: "$Append Suffix:" in Messages.tbl
$Append Suffix was implemented at one point before 3.7.2 was released, but it was removed only a few days later because the way it was implemented turned out to be problematic. Some time later (still before 3.7.2), a different version of this feature was implemented that automatically detects whether the suffix is needed.

So, you should be able to leave out $Append Suffix and still have the correct ANI appear.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I tried moving the "A", "B" and "C" versions of the headanis out of the hud folder, but the remaining non-suffix ones didn't appear when I tried a mission.

However, this was only for the persona messages. Mission messages still appeared with the headani. This is probably because there was still an exact match for the file it was asking for.

Might that be because they are EFFs, rather than ANIs? (e.g. "Kancolle_Fubuki.eff")

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I tried moving the "A", "B" and "C" versions of the headanis out of the hud folder, but the remaining non-suffix ones didn't appear when I tried a mission.

However, this was only for the persona messages. Mission messages still appeared with the headani. This is probably because there was still an exact match for the file it was asking for.

Might that be because they are EFFs, rather than ANIs? (e.g. "Kancolle_Fubuki.eff")
Being EFFs shouldn't make a difference; persona messages and mission messages should behave identically in this regard, but the code is a bit complicated (and does check whether it's a builtin message or not), so it's hard to tell:
if ( (anim_info->anim_data.first_frame < 0) && // note, first_frame will be >= 0 when ani is an existing file, and will be < 0 when the file does not exist and needs a, b, or c appended
((q->message_num < Num_builtin_messages) || !(_strnicmp(HEAD_PREFIX_STRING, ani_name, strlen(HEAD_PREFIX_STRING)-1))) ) {

For reference, the related Mantis issue is #2888 and the last commit can be found here (and the version incorporated into 3.7.2 can be found here, although be warned that, as an SVN trunk sync, that page is quite full and can take a while to load).

The "HEAD_PREFIX_STRING" thing has to do with whether or not the filename starts with "head", but the important bit should be the "(anim_info->anim_data.first_frame < 0)" part; the game should've already attempted to load the animation--oh.

Oh.

Oh.

I'm just going to make a wild guess that this commit might have ****ed up the assumptions this code was relying on.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Yarn

I'm just going to make a wild guess that this commit might have ****ed up the assumptions this code was relying on.
The added call to generic_anim_unload in that commit is only one of three culprits. The second culprit is a call to that same function in messages_init. Removing these two lines is sufficient only for the first mission played, however; to fix all other missions, you need to remove the call to message_mission_free_avi (which has a call to, you guessed it, generic_anim_unload) in message_mission_shutdown.

I'm not sure that this is a good solution, though.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The added call to generic_anim_unload in that commit is only one of three culprits. The second culprit is a call to that same function in messages_init. Removing these two lines is sufficient only for the first mission played, however; to fix all other missions, you need to remove the call to message_mission_free_avi (which has a call to, you guessed it, generic_anim_unload) in message_mission_shutdown.

I'm not sure that this is a good solution, though.
It's not; not unloading was a BMPMAN slot leak. The "(anim_info->anim_data.first_frame < 0)" part is the part that needs changing; my first thought would be to set some sort of flag on the message after the initial load attempt, before unloading it, and then checking that when it comes time to add a suffix.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Oops, I recognise that commit  :nervous:

Adding the flag based on load success/failure in add_avi() sounds good.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
So, the gist of it is that this feature (automatic or manual) doesn't work at the moment.

That's fine, as it wasn't an incredibly big issue to begin with - it would have just saved me having superfluous animations. I'm happy to see it might be fixed in a future FSO version though. :)

Offline Yarn

--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Yarn

Ssmit132, can you test the build below and see whether it fixes this issue? It works for me, but I want to make sure it works for you too. Make sure you do not add the $Message Suffix line.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89353583/FreeSpace/Patches/messages_suffix_fix_build.zip

--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
Just tried it, and yes, it does work - I'm getting the EFF animations for my custom wingmen even with the ones with suffixes removed.

(It does break Axem's BP message box that I was using, though, but that's out of the scope of this thread.)

Offline Yarn

(It does break Axem's BP message box that I was using, though, but that's out of the scope of this thread.)
If my change breaks something, then I need to know why before the change is committed. Can you provide a link to that message box so I can check it out?
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I'll check it again tonight, but I realised I probably just jumped the gun again and instead it's just because I forgot to copy the .png for the actual message box when I copied my non-suffixed files over.

EDIT: Yep, it was just because I forgot to copy that file. Sorry to worry you, Yarn.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:16:51 am by ssmit132 »