Author Topic: Countermeasures attract AAA beams  (Read 1863 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Countermeasures attract AAA beams
I was thinking today about how annoying massive numbers of AAA beams become for players. The beams can't be dodged or distracted — but like, I bet, lots of you, I still find myself dropping countermeasures!

I'd like it if players could drop countermeasures to attract AAA beam fire. And I think it might be easier than I thought...

It just occurred to me that you could give the countermeasure some HP, give it the "turret interceptable" flag, and then create a new object type (you can do this, right?) containing only countermeasures (you can do this somehow, right?)

You could then use the #Weapon Targeting Priorities entries to tell the sAAA, AAAf and AAAh to target this object type before all others.

Is it that easy? One obstacle is the very short lifetime of countermeasures — they would probably spawn and die before the beam had even finished charging...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Countermeasures attract AAA beams
and then create a new object type (you can do this, right?) containing only countermeasures (you can do this somehow, right?)
You don't want to do this, you want to create a target priority type containing all countermeasures:
Code: [Select]
#Target Priorities

$Name: countermeasures
+Weapon Class Flags: ( "countermeasure" )

#End

...Or that's how it should be defined, but for reasons unknown, "countermeasure" isn't one of the valid weapon class flags for target priority groups to be made out of. :rolleyes:

So instead you'd need to use "+Weapon Class:" and enumerate every single countermeasure you want to decoy beams.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Cool, cool. So let's say we made all CMs instantly die, spawn 1) a copy of themselves, and 2) a longer-lived (invisible) beam decoy.

How would this alter game balance?

The AI would not know how to use it. However, AI ships popping off countermeasures would create targets for AAA beams. Assuming we make them lower priority than bombs, warships will tend to shoot at bombs, then (hopefully IFF sorted to enemy?) countermeasures.

AAAs will thus in general have fewer shots on actual targets. This would probably require a test setup...

I didn't realise this was about letting the player dump CMs to avoid AAAs. That sounds like a great idea, though I'm pretty sure they should normally be lower priority than bombs to avoid incentivising ridiculous tactics.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.