Author Topic: How to remove HUD elements?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
How to remove HUD elements?
So for my mod I'd like to introduce HUD elements slowly. For the first mission the player has a rudimentary HUD (maybe just the reticule), then gets more stuff in subsequent missions, like the targeting window and the weapons dashboard.

How do I do this?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How to remove HUD elements?
BP has loads of this stuff. Open up the BP hud table and then a mission with custom hud gauges (say Nothing is True) and see how the mission enables those gauges and fills them with information.

WAIT this isn't what you want at all.

There's a simple SEXP that enables/disables HUD elements. set-hud-gauge-active or something like that. The BP dreamscape uses it to shut off a lot of the HUD, so you could open that mission file to check it out.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
There's a simple SEXP that enables/disables HUD elements. set-hud-gauge-active or something like that. The BP dreamscape uses it to shut off a lot of the HUD, so you could open that mission file to check it out.

spare Blue Planet stuff alone, set-hud-gauge sexp lets you enable and disable visibility of certain parts of the hud at your convenience, no mods needed, its core FS2 stuff.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I just said 'set-hud-gauge-active or something like that'.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
No worries, I just made it simple-clear so nobody mistake that you need BP for that. Given your post, I'd think I need it :) (no offence please :[ )

But another thing is true. Blue Planet missions are marvels of Fredding and there are several impressive solutions to many a problem inside these missions.

In a time, i was opening them up myself to check up how they done this/that :)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Yeah thanks, I'd rather do it without unpacking BP all over me desktop, if you don't mind. :P

Really though, ditto. War in Heaven may be the premier example of pushing the SCP engine to it's limits and beyond.

Granted, there is JAD. But still.

Anyways, I'll try that symbolic expression out! Thanks!

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Wow, just figured out how it works! This is one nifty feature! Thanks.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
    • Steam
Almost all SEXP are described in FRED. do not hesitate to check the list for what is available, and try to get to understand uses for each.

Getting creative with FRED, and solving most issues by yourself (as best as it is possible) is the most efficient way to learn FREDing, compare solutions with other people, and improve.

Also remember that you have conditionals and variables available to you as well. FRED is very powerful tool.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Almost all SEXP are described in FRED. do not hesitate to check the list for what is available, and try to get to understand uses for each.

Getting creative with FRED, and solving most issues by yourself (as best as it is possible) is the most efficient way to learn FREDing, compare solutions with other people, and improve.

Also remember that you have conditionals and variables available to you as well. FRED is very powerful tool.

Just remember: with great power comes great responsibility. *cue rimshot*

Sorry, classic Spiderman film fan here. :P

Sorry that I didn't look harder in FRED myself. I really should do that before asking questions.