Author Topic: Looking For A New Way To Warp In  (Read 297 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Looking For A New Way To Warp In
We all know the convetional way for ships to jump in: The Subspace Vortex. Is it possible to have a different way like the Startrek Warp Effect? I will very much appreciate it if somebody teach me the mechanics of it. Just show me the way. :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Looking For A New Way To Warp In
There's the $Warpin Type: ships.tbl setting which has a few alternative options, although none strictly match the Star Trek effect, Hyperspace might be close.

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Linux OBS Packages: FSO 3.7.0 | FSO BP Build | wxLauncher (?) | PCS2 (?) | wxVPView (?)
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline JSRNerdo

• A literal [`_`]ist
A galactica warpin with the apropriate sound and effect should do, see diaspora for examples
Inferno: It's the I in Inferno / It's the beam spam delight / Risin' up to a shock jump arrivaaaaaal
Between The Ashes: Look just a really cool and neat thing, OK?
The Last Stand: A very episodic capship command mini-campaign
Breakthrough: A pretty standard but not really capship command mission

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about having an insanely high warpin-warpout speed and then place them on the FRED grid at extreme distance for arrival?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Perfect for my Romulan ships. I'll do a combination of parameters. Warp in type, sound, and warp in speed. That should be close. Thanks for the help, guys. :) :yes:

How about having an insanely high warpin-warpout speed and then place them on the FRED grid at extreme distance for arrival?

I think you would have the same side effect that was shown in the warp-out scene of the final battle in Rogue One, i.e. the Resistance transport crashing against the star destroyer that had just arrived. Basically you cannot warp-out/in if your vector is pointing/going through another object...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Stop calling me 'intelligent', I am clearly not
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Perfect for my Romulan ships.

Romulan ships don't warp in, they decloak (even the drone ship in ST: Enterprise never warped in looking like itself). It is one of the Star Trek-franchise staples (until the Kelvin-timeline came along) to clearly distinguish them and reinforce the concept that they are the sneaky (and in TNG) plotting people.
"As a rebellion fails, a search begins."
- The Lost Generation - Ashcroft coming soon -

"My song reshapes the very cosmos."
- Eldar Bonesinger, Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War 3

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie

I think you would have the same side effect that was shown in the warp-out scene of the final battle in Rogue One, i.e. the Resistance transport crashing against the star destroyer that had just arrived. Basically you cannot warp-out/in if your vector is pointing/going through another object...
It'll just require some mission scripting to ensure that nothing is in the way for an arriving or departing ship.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I've tried that before and I have to say it's harder than it sounds. You'll want to do it in Lua, because raytracing via SEXP sounds painful.

You'd think you can just carefully pick arrival/departure vectors, but the AI has a fetish for colliding with things - and you have very little control of where the player ship is. It can be done, but you're basically giving up the ability to use shock-jumps.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Perfect for my Romulan ships.

Romulan ships don't warp in, they decloak (even the drone ship in ST: Enterprise never warped in looking like itself). It is one of the Star Trek-franchise staples (until the Kelvin-timeline came along) to clearly distinguish them and reinforce the concept that they are the sneaky (and in TNG) plotting people.

No, they do not warp in. I only call them "Romulans" because I used romulan models, the Valdore. In my sequel, in the world of "The Aftermath," I call them Arcturians. Absolutely no reference to Startrek. Any names of ship or characters or tech used in the mod are purely a homage. :)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I've tried that before and I have to say it's harder than it sounds. You'll want to do it in Lua, because raytracing via SEXP sounds painful.

You'd think you can just carefully pick arrival/departure vectors, but the AI has a fetish for colliding with things - and you have very little control of where the player ship is. It can be done, but you're basically giving up the ability to use shock-jumps.

Yeah, I am well aware of that. It will be a daunting task pulling that off. But I like that kind of task. It will take a lot of testing and experimenting. I love torturing my brain. :)