Author Topic: How to destroy the Sathanas' turrets?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Valrog

How to destroy the Sathanas' turrets?
In Act II, Mission 8: A Monster in the Mist, where we had to destroy the Sathanas's turrets as a bonus objective in the Ptah, I destroyed 2 flak guns.

Now, in Act III, Mission 1: Bearbaiting, I'm struggling to destroy the turrets. Despite calling in for re-enforcements, I'm able to just destroy 2 flak guns (Secondary objective) and 1 beam turret.

IIRC, the last time I played a few years ago (which might have been on Easy - not sure), I destroyed 2 beam turrets after scanning the Sathanas, and then destroyed the other 2 in Bearbaiting. I really regret destroying 2 flak guns instead.

Is it possible to go back to the previous mission? And do you recommend it? Or do I have a chance of succeeding?

My wingmen seem useless. If I target flak guns and ask them to destroy the subsystem, they don't do much. I'm only using them to cover me.

I also find it hard to locate the "Forward flak guns". I can locate one forward flak gun - I'm not sure which is the other one.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How to destroy the Sathanas' turrets?
You don't need to kill all the turrets to win the mission. In fact, the next mission is better if you don't take out all the beams!

Call support as soon as the mission starts.

To kill a beam, approach from inside the curve of the arm. Afterburn until you're very close, and while still afterburning, double-fire two Helios. Repeat as need be.

Offline Valrog

You don't need to kill all the turrets to win the mission. In fact, the next mission is better if you don't take out all the beams!

Hmm why's it better if we don't take out all the beams? Do you get a higher score in the next mission or something? I just read in a walkthrough that if you fail to destroy all turrets, the Sathanas will decimate an Allied fleet before High Noon.

Call support as soon as the mission starts.

To kill a beam, approach from inside the curve of the arm. Afterburn until you're very close, and while still afterburning, double-fire two Helios. Repeat as need be.

Thanks! I'll try that. EDIT: I figured out which was the other flak gun.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:14:32 pm by Valrog »

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Honestly, I don't understand. I just bombed them beams to death while keeping the support close by to keep me good armed.

On normal.

First try, first win.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Depending on what build you're using the resolution of the game can have a seriously noticeable effect on your tracking speeds. (This has been fixed but not yet in the full release builds afaik)

On a more practical level I never bother going for the flak guns, just because I never have time. If you land them right two Helios torpedoes will destroy one beam turret. Don't approach them from behind because the Helios will impact on the arm itself and not the turret, which attenuates the damage.
Also using the Akehton (sp?) and Trebuchet missiles during the cool down on the Helios may help.

Offline Valrog

Thanks, folk!

I finally got all the turrets. Surprisingly, my wingmen have started killing the Flak guns on their own once I tell them to destroy one Flak gun! They must be really ticked off at the Flag guns finally!  :lol:

However... just after taking out the turrets, I got the warning from Command that the Sathanas was engaging its drives and I got pancaked. I should've Dived! Dived! Dived!  :lol:

Offline Valrog

I finally succeeded.

The trick to destroying the turrets is to steer your ship ahead of the Sathanas' appendages that have the turrets on them. That way you can bomb them from any side - forward or from behind and still destroy them with one strike, saving a lot of time.

I also got the kill on the Beleth, but I could not save the Thebes. I'm NOT going to replay to try to save it!  :lol:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
On my last playthrough, I destroyed the Beleth's starboard LRed turret, but then the Thebes circled around the Beleth into the firing arc of the remaining turret :rolleyes:  I say if the Zod Captain is that silly, he deserves to lose his ship! :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...