Author Topic: GTVA destroyers in Sol  (Read 5746 times)

Offline CT27

GTVA destroyers in Sol
I know the GTVA has a couple more destroyers coming into Sol as of the end of Act 3 and based on chats I've seen here.

I know about the GTD Atreus (Erebus) and Imperiuse (Titan), but including the other destroyers (I've lost track of where Hood/Meridian are) and the incoming destroyers, how many destroyers will the GTVA have in Sol?

GTD Atreus (Erebus)
GTD Imperiuse (Titan)
and what else?

I've heard destroyers called Vengeance and Phoenica are incoming, but what classes are they?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: GTVA destroyers in Sol
This probably has a lot of what you're looking for: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Blue_Planet_Orders_of_Battle

e.g. the Vengeance and Phoenica are Hecates.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline CT27

If I'm reading that right, Implacable and Agamemnon will be in Sol too.

With possibly the Ilium and Pallas coming in as well.

Offline Darius

This goes into detail regarding specific destroyers in Sol.

dumb question maybe but is the phonecia coming into sol the same one that got its unmentionables bad touched by the sathanas

Offline Aesaar

Yes.  Probably the only ship in the GTVA fleet to have survived a BFRed shot.  Maybe the Orestes, depending on how A Time For Heroes goes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:21:40 am by Aesaar »

dumb question maybe but is the phonecia coming into sol the same one that got its unmentionables bad touched by the sathanas

To be fair, they've had 18 years to patch her up.  :nod:

Offline crizza

Plus, if the Phoenicia was rebuild, she could have gotten a complete overhaul, even more so then the Carthage :D
If writen my fair share of fiction about her^^

Heh. More destroyers = More stuff for the Fedayeen to blow up :P

If all mentioned ships are present we´ll have 2 Erebus, 3 Titans and 3 Hecates.

This makes how many fighters?

A Hecate has 150 ships. And if you count the landing pads inside the hangars of the Titan and Erebus classes you get around 300 fighters for a Titan destroyer and 76 for an Erebus (of course the hangar of the upcoming model looks like it has much more space for fighter craft).

76 fighters for an Erebus is way too small. The hangar models shouldn't be trusted at all.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Strikecraft complement for the Erebus is around 120-130.  Less than a Hecate, but more than an Orion.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 05:08:50 pm by Aesaar »

Just to double check on this, UEF pilots typically achieve a 6-7 to 1 kill streak right? (Based on how BP missions go on Normal difficulty)

And dear god... 3 TITANS? 2 EREBII?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 11:45:10 pm by SmashMonkey »

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
If everything is deployed as anticipated, then you're looking at eight destroyers and their assorted support groups.  Assuming their fighter/bomber compliments are at full strength we're talking a round estimate of at least 1000 Tev fighters and bombers.  This estimate does not include potential units attached to the theater command (i.e. dedicated bomber groups or intel squadrons) nor does it mention anything about potential Vasudan support.

To counter this, the UEF has three destroyers, their weakened fleets, and their depleted fighter corps.

Steele's goal of a short but decisive campaign is within reach.  That much potential firepower outclasses anything referenced in the Terran-Vasudan War, eclipses anything we saw in the Great War, and is surpassed only by the number of juggernauts last seen in the vicinity of Capella.

In fact, I'm now struck by the symmetry:  the UEF is now in a similar situation to the GTVA mid-Capella:  outgunned and outweighed by an enemy whose motives they don't fully understand, they're about to be dealt a death blow that will end their way of life.

While I try not to wax too poetic, I wonder if Steele has given any though to what will happen if the Shivans react to the threshold trigger of having that much destruction in one place.  I wonder how Shambhala will interfere with all of it, and what if Smokejump screws that up?
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline crizza

The heavy UEF bomber will play a great role in those battles. But then again even with all these buffs they recieve even they will go down sooner or later.

By the way ... how many capital ships are in a GTVA Battlegroup?

So far from the OrBat we now the following numbers from the BG deployed in Sol:

(Destroyers/Corvettes/Cruisers/Others(e.g. AWACS, Logistic Vessels, Tankers))

2. BG:
1/7/7/2
Total: 17

13. BG:
2/6/3/1
Total: 12

14. BG:
2/3/3/2
Total: 10

15. BG:
2/11/11/8
Total: 32

16. BG:
1/1/?/?
Total: 2

Of course these are only the numbers which we actually see ingame or that are mentioned in command briefings.

Also AOA always speak of the 14th BG I don´t think that it consist of only 10 ships. In "Journeys End" Bei spoke about that the beachhead was made up of "our strongest ships" hinting that there are more present.

Even before AOA and WiH I assumed that a standard GTVA BG made up of around 30 to 40 ships - something like:
2/12/16/8
Total: 38
and that a Terran fleet is made of 2 - 3 BG totaling in around 70 - 120 ships.

Of course this was just a personal guess.  But it comes close to the stats of the 15. BG.

If everything is deployed as anticipated, then you're looking at eight destroyers and their assorted support groups.  Assuming their fighter/bomber compliments are at full strength we're talking a round estimate of at least 1000 Tev fighters and bombers.  This estimate does not include potential units attached to the theater command (i.e. dedicated bomber groups or intel squadrons) nor does it mention anything about potential Vasudan support.

To counter this, the UEF has three destroyers, their weakened fleets, and their depleted fighter corps.

Steele's goal of a short but decisive campaign is within reach.  That much potential firepower outclasses anything referenced in the Terran-Vasudan War, eclipses anything we saw in the Great War, and is surpassed only by the number of juggernauts last seen in the vicinity of Capella.

In fact, I'm now struck by the symmetry:  the UEF is now in a similar situation to the GTVA mid-Capella:  outgunned and outweighed by an enemy whose motives they don't fully understand, they're about to be dealt a death blow that will end their way of life.

While I try not to wax too poetic, I wonder if Steele has given any though to what will happen if the Shivans react to the threshold trigger of having that much destruction in one place.  I wonder how Shambhala will interfere with all of it, and what if Smokejump screws that up?

The Shivan trigger is a UEF loss. But the GTVA have no idea of this since they think that they're only dealing with the Vishnans.

And Ken hints that Shambhala has become "something more" than just keeping the Shivans at bay. Will be very interesting to find out what it is...

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

The Shivan trigger is a UEF loss. But the GTVA have no idea of this since they think that they're only dealing with the Vishnans.

And Ken hints that Shambhala has become "something more" than just keeping the Shivans at bay. Will be very interesting to find out what it is...

This is of course assuming Ken is being truthful
Stuff

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
This is of course assuming Ken is being truthful
And that Ken accurately understands the situation.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.