Author Topic: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.3.5  (Read 378455 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: RELEASE: FreeSpace Open Installer, v2.1.10
I think you can use Freespace2 Sector Files for direct link downloads?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88720.0

edit: oops, use the new name, not the old :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:17:01 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You're right. FSFiles works, too, and might be the easiest option in this case.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Sorry for the necro.

I have had a Reddit user ask if the Installer is able to handle uninstalling mods?  iirc the answer is no but I wanted to check first before replying.

If that is the case would it be worth adding this functionality for user convenience especially those not comfortable diving into the game files directly?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's not a necro if the thread is stickied. :)

There is no uninstall capability, mainly because during the entire run of Turey's installer and the entire development of the new installer, it never occurred to either me or the testers.

Considering the number of people this has affected, I think it would be a good idea to add that capability, but I need to consider how best to do that.  I also have a capability under development to detect when mods have been manually removed, but that isn't quite finished yet (mainly because not every mod defines a mod folder).

In the meantime, mods can be removed by deleting the mod VPs and then editing fsoinstaller.properties to remove the mod version line.

Offline TheSpam

Where can I donate?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is this what you're asking for?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline TheSpam

Is this what you're asking for?
Exactly it, thanks!

Hi guys, I'm super thankful for all the work on this!

I loved Freespace and FS2 so much as a kid, and I'm so excited to play them again.

I was commenting on a thread on Ars Technica and one of you industrious elves mentioned FSOpen, and I went straight out and bought a HOTAS setup just to play your mod.

It finally arrived yesterday, so I bought FS2 from GOG and downloaded its setup file, then grabbed this installer and ran it, installing everything.

Everything seemed to go smoothly, and when everything was finished I navigated to the install folder.. and there was no fs_open.exe or any other launcher .exe.

The only .exe options were the two regular Freespace 2 .exes and FRED.

So I deleted everything and ran the installer again, this time only installing the basic options.

Again, no additional launcher .exe was installed. This time I even searched my whole PC for the file names in case I was just being stupid and not seeing them, but no joy.

So I deleted everything again, and this time I installed FS2 through GOG, **THEN** ran your installer, installing everything again.

Again everything seemed to go smoothly, but once again there are only the two usual FS2 .exe's and FRED...  no launcher .exe.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I download a separate launcher?

Should I try running your installer again as an administrator? Just thought of that...

Thanks SO MUCH for all your work on this, these two games were such a formative experience for me as a child and I cannot WAIT to play it on a huge screen with a great sound set-up and a proper HOTAS.. such as my child self couldn't even have imagined :-)

Grab of my install folder.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
IIRC the Launcher (well, wxlauncher) installs to its own directory.

Launcher 5.5g installs to the freespace directory.

Do you have a shortcut for wxlauncher in the start menu? If so, use that.

EDIT :  HOWEVER, you should still have fs2_open and fred2_open exes in there...

Hi jr2, thanks for the reply.

I didn't it have installed, so I downloaded wxlauncher just now, and yep, I can't point it to fs2_open as I don't seem to have that.

I'll try running the whole process again as an admin I guess.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Shouldn't need to, it's not installed to \Program Files..

Try re-running the Installer over the top of what you have.

It verifies what you've got already.

If it's confused, check the open to manual re-download items listed as complete to force it to recheck them.

Be sure you checked to install  the SCP / source code project 3.7.2 and media vps 2014..

I'll give that a go now, thanks.

It worked!

Thanks so much.

Haven't got time to play around with it much yet, but is it possible to get a joystick throttle to work?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Can you upload your Installer log files?  I'd like to see what errors, if any, it may have logged while trying to download the EXEs.

To do this, zip up the "logs" folder that you find in the same directory where you run FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.

Sure, here you go.

The first time I ran the installer it reported I was low on disk space (accurately, I hadn't realized the size of the downloads) and canceled various installations, I'm assuming that's where I confused it!

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Haven't got time to play around with it much yet, but is it possible to get a joystick throttle to work?

I got every axes of my old X45 to work in fs2_open, included throttle and banking so I guess you should have no problems with your (recent?) joystick.
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sure, here you go.

The first time I ran the installer it reported I was low on disk space (accurately, I hadn't realized the size of the downloads) and canceled various installations, I'm assuming that's where I confused it!

Your log shows attempts to install things in both "C:\Games\FreeSpace2" and "E:\GOG\Freespace 2".  It looks like you installed FS2 using the GOG installer, but then forgot to specify the correct folder in the Installer the first several times you ran it (and since the Installer couldn't find FS2 there, you redundantly installed FS2 in the process).

I suggest you simply move all files from "C:\Games\FreeSpace2" into "E:\GOG\Freespace 2", delete the former folder, and then remember to correctly specify the folder next time you run the Installer. :)

Offline Averam

Hey, new on the forums. Been playing FSO for a while, recently got a new PC and am reinstalling with the new launcher. Every time I try to reinstall I tell it the destination folder which is on my large storage D:\ drive. However every single time it just ignores this and automatically installs to my small, booting SSD C:\ drive. Any ideas why this is, or what I can do to fix it? It's frustrating as hell as it eats up pretty much all the available space on my SSD when installing, despite me telling it not to install there.

EDIT: Ignore this please, turns out I have an over zealous anti-virus program which was automatically sandboxing any newly installed software into some hidden folder on my C:\ drive. Disabled the auto-sandboxing option and the problem went away! So now I'm free to enjoy FS in all it's wonderful glory - you guys have done amazing work with this, really appreciate everything you've done in improving this game.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:59:43 am by Averam »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Great to hear that! :)  And thanks for telling us about the sandboxing problem; that's an interesting one.