Author Topic: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)  (Read 86152 times)

Re: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)
Playing with anything but the BP builds causes a crash. I don't use the BP compatibility patch. Also, when playing with the BP build the player ship isn't invulnerable but is very hard to kill. I took several beams from the Sathanas and, in the end, killed it. Also, the Sathanas either arrives too early or you forgot to mention it in the dialogues.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Playing with anything but the BP builds causes a crash. I don't use the BP compatibility patch. Also, when playing with the BP build the player ship isn't invulnerable but is very hard to kill. I took several beams from the Sathanas and, in the end, killed it. Also, the Sathanas either arrives too early or you forgot to mention it in the dialogues.

I'm afraid that, given the beam damage bug, the only way to get this mission to work right is to use a regular build with the compatibility stuff.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep. And the Sathanas is a fail condition that's just meant to kill you instantly.

What a curious bug...I wonder if people on those same BP builds take no beam damage on The Blade Itself?

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I actually noticed that mission was a lot easier lately.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
It was really awesome, captured Lopez and the hopelessness of the situation perfectly, I feel.
The music was fantastic. Can I ask the sources?

My only gripe is that sometimes the bombers don't attack what I want them to attack. They just get close to their target and stare at it.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I ran the Lopez mission in _DEBUG to see if I could find anything useful about the beam damage issues... but ran into CTDs on starting the mission.  While I haven't got any useful info on the beam damage, I think I've fixed the CTD :)

Try applying this patch to the CSC:
Code: [Select]
$ diff -u bp2-csc-sct.tbm /tmp/bp2-csc-sct.tbm
--- bp2-csc-sct.tbm 2014-04-29 04:33:56.000000000 +1000
+++ /tmp/bp2-csc-sct.tbm 2014-05-18 11:38:39.078085392 +1000
@@ -73,7 +73,10 @@
   gr.drawString(csc.turretDisplay[weapon] .. csc.turretMode[weapon][csc.turretStatus[weapon]])
   setTurretColor(weapon)
   for i = 1, #csc.turretGroup[weapon], 1 do
-   local targetname = getTargetName(csc.turretGroup[weapon][i].Target)
+   local targetname
+   if csc.turretGroup[weapon][i].Target:isValid() then
+     targetname = getTargetName(csc.turretGroup[weapon][i].Target)
+   end
    if not targetname then targetname = "None" end
    if weapon == "pd" then
     gr.drawString("  PD Turret: " .. targetname)
@@ -475,4 +478,4 @@
 BettyOverride = false
 ]

-#End
\ No newline at end of file
+#End

This may fix some other crashes, since the current script will throw -1 into certain array indexs which is a good way to read garbage from memory.

Also, just as a minor cleanup, the Hedetet seems to have too many turrets defined in the mission.  This should remove those warnings:
$ diff -u Lopez.fs2 /tmp/Lopez.fs2
--- Lopez.fs2 2014-05-15 02:42:31.000000000 +1000
+++ /tmp/Lopez.fs2 2014-05-18 11:42:48.714094551 +1000
@@ -7950,18 +7950,6 @@
 +Subsystem: turret13
 +Subsystem: turret14
 +Subsystem: turret15
-+Subsystem: turret16
-+Subsystem: turret17
-+Subsystem: turret18
-+Subsystem: turret19
-+Subsystem: turret20
-+Subsystem: turret21
-+Subsystem: turret22
-+Subsystem: turret23
-+Subsystem: turret24
-+Subsystem: turret25
-+Subsystem: turret26
-+Subsystem: turret27
 $Arrival Location: Hyperspace
 $Arrival Cue: ( is-event-true-delay "Cue Zods 1" 0 )
 $Departure Location: Hyperspace
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
It was really awesome, captured Lopez and the hopelessness of the situation perfectly, I feel.

My only gripe is that sometimes the bombers don't attack what I want them to attack. They just get close to their target and stare at it.

Look in the readme, in the mod folder.

Agh, the pacifist bombers won't stay down! :banghead: I dunno why they do that (yeah, I say "I dunno" a lot).

----------
niffiwan, how do I apply patch?  :blah:
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Ah sorry, that wasn't very helpful of me.  Here's the files with the patches applied:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vo7yz5n5d2fp5hd/battlecaptains-gtva-patchedfiles.7z

If you haven't changed either of the files since your latest release then you should be able to copy them over your existing "master copies" of the files. If you have changed them since the release, then manually replacing the lines starting with "-" by the lines starting with "+" is probably the best - the changes are fairly simple. Otherwise you can send me a copy of the latest files and I can update them for you.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thank you very much, niffiwan.

Battuta, would you be willing to tell me what SEXPs I should use to better balance the Lopez mission for harder difficulties? I'd like to incorporate said balancing into patch 1.2.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You'll need to test it on harder difficulties to smooth it out exactly, but: the biggest difference is that the player gets reduced magic damage soak on Hard, and no magic damage soak at all on Insane. In a fighter, players can compensate with evasive maneuvers and careful engagement, but capships can only use positioning and raw DPS. So the easiest way to balance is simply to give the Carthage a bit more armor or more HP on higher difficulties. (The mission's difficulty will then be primarily changed by enemy fighter and bomber behavior.)

You can use the difficulty detection sexp (difficulty-greater-than? something like that) to set the Carthage's armor up a bit on Hard and Insane. Probably worth not totally compensating for the increased incoming DPS, so the mission still gets meaningfully harder. And don't forget to alter the reset event for the ECM Burst ability so it sets the Carthage's armor back to the appropriate type.

I forget exactly what the damage sink factor on Medium and Hard is - that'll be important to know.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks. Does anyone else know how damage scales on different difficulties?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If we trust the wiki, it's as follows:

$Player Damage Factor:                         0.25, 0.5,  0.65, 0.85, 1

i.e.
Very Easy: 75% damage soak
Easy: 50% damage soak
Medium: 35% damage soak
Hard: 15% damage soak
Insane: 0% damage soak

Also note there are other factors, including refire delays which further benefit the player on anything except insane.

(And you should probably check the BP ai_profiles table since that's one of the things that the Fury AI modifies)
----
----

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Big anti-capship weapons have their refire delays normalized in BP.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.

Agh, the pacifist bombers won't stay down! :banghead: I dunno why they do that (yeah, I say "I dunno" a lot).

----------

Are you giving a disarm command at some point?  That seems to cause bomber attacks against capships to go into a fail state.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

----------

Are you giving a disarm command at some point?  That seems to cause bomber attacks against capships to go into a fail state.

There's an event that gives bombers disarm commands whenever you tell them to attack an enemy capship that's not a Rakshasa.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Patch 1.2. This should hopefully fix most of the bugs that people have been complaining about. Try it and tell me if I need a patch 1.3 before I re-upload the campaign in the OP. Please say no.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline crizza

No bugs so far, but although the Hera...the Aten you're task to guard survives, after killing the artillery cruisers and the surviving TAG-spotters jump out, I get the failure message...but the Aten cruiser jumps out merily a few seconds later.

Offline CT27

Patch 1.2. This should hopefully fix most of the bugs that people have been complaining about. Try it and tell me if I need a patch 1.3 before I re-upload the campaign in the OP. Please say no.

I presume I put those two downloads in the data/tables and data/missions folders of the campaign folder respectively?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

I presume I put those two downloads in the data/tables and data/missions folders of the campaign folder respectively?

:yes:

Hi guys, I keep getting a weird bug that no one else has reported as of yet on the forum. When I launch the campaign, both Servanti and Lopez, I get a bug reffering to the command briefing, and whe nI press ok to go into the debugger the entire briefing wont respond to mouse control, I can't press continue or browse through the briefing. The odd thing is that I can still browse with my arrow keys on the keyboard, but I can't continue to the briefing.
Bug report:
Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 12 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC1_SSE.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC1_SSE.exe! <no symbol>

Other stuff:
Downloaded the latest version, just over half an hour ago, tried it with "fs2_open_3_7_0, fs2_open_3_7_2_RC1_SSE and fs_open_3_6_17_SSE2_BP"

I'm not having this error when I try to play the main FS2 campain with the afformentioned launchers