Author Topic: What is the status of anisotropic filtering?  (Read 2188 times)

What is the status of anisotropic filtering?
I did some forum searching after wondering why wxLauncher doesn't support anisotropic filtering options like the old Freespace launcher did, and I found out that the anisotropic filtering option was removed from the engine capabilities at some point (for Windows at least). It's also supposed to be reintroduced after the SDL 2 (Simple DirectMedia Layer) gets combined with the stable release of FSO. So this poses 2 questions:

1) Why was the anisotropic filtering support removed in the first place?
2) Why is SDL 2 required in order to reintroduce the anisotropic filtering?

After all, 16x anisotropic filtering gives some nice extra texture fidelity compared to the trilinear filtering with almost no additional GPU stress cost. It's a bit of shame that it isn't there currently  :sigh:

Offline m!m

Re: What is the status of anisotropic filtering?
As far as I can tell the engine reads the value from the settings correctly and applies it to all loaded textures. You might want to ask the wxLauncher guys why it isn't enabled in the windows version of the launcher.

You might want to ask the wxLauncher guys why it isn't enabled in the windows version of the launcher.

I understand that anisotropic filtering simply doesn't work atm, even if you force it via GPU control panel. So wxLauncher guys removed the option temporarily until the FSO engine gets updated.

Offline m!m

Well, the engine actually uses anisotropic filtering if the right settings are set and your graphics hardware supports it which is why I came to the conclusion that it's an oversight in the wxLauncher.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Well, the engine actually uses anisotropic filtering if the right settings are set and your graphics hardware supports it which is why I came to the conclusion that it's an oversight in the wxLauncher.
Even if you set anisotropic filtering in the old Launcher, it does nothing in-game.

Offline m!m

All I can say it that the engine loads the setting here and then uses it for every new texuture here. I don't know if that's actually how you enable it in OpenGL or if there are other factors which prevent the usage of anisotropic filtering.

This thread was inspired by this.

That information is 1,5 years old, so I wondered if anything has changed or is there any additional information available on the subject?