Author Topic: What order do the capaigns occur in?  (Read 6252 times)

What order do the capaigns occur in?
i know it goes freespace, silent threat reborn, something templar/crusader-ey,  then freespace 2, but after that, i have no clue the order things go in.
im well aware many mods and campaigns have nothing to do with the main story, but i was wondering if someone could give a list of the order of the main parts.
also, i would like to know if the auto installer installs all the campaigns, or just some. ive gotten the full download, but there seem to be a lot more here than what i have.
any answers would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.
(ps, i think the ordered list of campaigns would be helpful to many, as i dont see any readily available info on the order they go in)
"Think you've got what it takes to beat me? HA! You don't have a paper dog's chance of catching an asbestos cat in Hell."

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: What order do the capaigns occur in?
Most campaigns do not follow the same timeline and are thus chronologically incompatible.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It might be easier for you to think of the campaigns in terms of time periods since most of them don't work within the same timeline.

FS1 (Great War) > Silent Threat > FS2
  • Pre FS1 is the Pre Great War Era.
  • During FS1/Silent Threat is the Great War Era.
  • After FS1/Silent Threat is usually called the Reconstruction Era.
  • During FS2 is the Capella Era.
  • After FS2 is usually called Post-Capella Era.

The community has made many campaigns that fit in these categories. However there are also many campaigns that sort of fit into this, but then follow their own continuity like Cold Element.

The best place to look would be here. It gives a list of campaigns in each era as well as campaigns that fit in their own timeline.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:23:23 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

thanks, that helps. i just wanted to play through the main volition story first, before diving into the pile of user created stuff (not counting STR and FSPort)
again though, does the auto installer install most of these? perhaps it would be helpful to have a list of mods/campaigns the installer does NOT install so that people can make sure they arent missing any goodies
"Think you've got what it takes to beat me? HA! You don't have a paper dog's chance of catching an asbestos cat in Hell."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
OR, you could just go through the Released Campaigns Thread in the Missions and Campaigns board and download EVERYTHING!  :D

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
thanks, that helps. i just wanted to play through the main volition story first, before diving into the pile of user created stuff (not counting STR and FSPort)
again though, does the auto installer install most of these? perhaps it would be helpful to have a list of mods/campaigns the installer does NOT install so that people can make sure they arent missing any goodies

Once you have been through the ones in you opening post (in that order) you have finished all the official voliton campaigns (except you played the unofficial FSport and STR instead of the original freespace and silent threat).

It is now time to move on to the completely fanmade mods with original stories. Most of them build on the official story but there is no continuity in between mods. That is unless they are stated as sequels like Blue Planet: War in Heaven being a sequel to Age of Aquarius.

Check out the Released Campaigns Thread as Scotty mentioned to see what is out there.
Uncharted Territory is released. But I still need voice actors

well. yeah, i know that fsport and str are "remakes" but they follow the original story is what i meant. im mostly interested in just the fiction, since im going to be doing some voice work here, and i want to get a feel for what the characters are going through, and what their viewpoints might be.
basically, i just dont want any of my voice overs to sound like a robot is reading them, or to have them come out like, say, the idiotic "freespace 3" youtube video that the guy with the british accent did. im sure most of you have seen it. it sounded robotic almost. there was no passion, no fear, no emotion of any kind. almost like he was reading from a script and not looking at the video he was voicing over when he did it. i mean, we are kinda lucky to have voice in a game like this, because you never really see the characters who are talking (not clearly anyway) so you can voice it the way it should be, instead of having to rely on lip flaps, like they do in animation and dubbed movies. (the infamous early english dubs of kung fu movies, where they didnt bother matching the mouth movements... classic....)
its gonna be hard to do this in some of the "unnoficial" story campaigns though, unless i can fly the missions and see whats going on. (like, for example, say, my line is "what the hell? where did that come from?" if i were a pilot who saw a nebula that was all pretty-fied and stuff, and was remarking about it in wonder and amazement, would sound a lot different than say, a pilot who just had a massive new shivan battleship that makes the lucifer look like a flea pop out of nowhere. in that case he would sound fearful, panicked, possibly screaming and becoming hoarse.)
thats hwy i wanted to know what all the main stories were about. to give me an idea of the fiction i would be working in.

Offline ReeNoiP

• I FRED
I'm not sure I completely understand what it is you are looking for. If you want to know the context for voice acting lines, you best bet would be to play the campaign/mod you want to voice act. Or if it's not released yet, ask the author for some input or a beta version.

Since there is no continuity between fanmade mods you don't have to worry about playing them in order.
Uncharted Territory is released. But I still need voice actors

i wasnt looking for specifics. i just wanted to get a feel for the "world" of freespace. so i knew what was expected, see what other VA's have done, etc. its ok, guys, ive just about got a handle on it, but thanks anyway
 :nod:

Offline Marcov

• Chicken Little
  • My Sig Is Spam
Who is that "idiotic British guy"? :p
With the rapid increase of FS fan-made campaigns, we're giving the GTVA a harder time with more violence and genocide.

~FreeSpace: The Battle of Endor (voice dub)~
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K9-Y1JBTE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQanXDRAXM
Part 3/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBLKYt_oG0

Old (original) videos:
Part 1/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ygskaoUtE
Part 2/4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0uoPTksBlI

not sure, but it is on youtube. under the title freespace 3. i thought it was a trailer for the one here (hunt for bosch) but it wasnt. it was put together with choppy clips of FS 1 and 2 and the voice acting was just wierd. lifeless. the words were emotional, but the tone and speech were not. Remember one of history's most poetic and emotional lines, from president Reagan, remarking on the lost space shuttle crew, "that we never forget the last time we saw them...as they slipped the surly bonds of earth, to touch the face of God."
(whether you are religious or not, be you republican, democrat, independant or even socio-communi-anarchistic faschist, we all can find the beauty in the poetry of words like these)
now, if you want the comparison on how that guy sounded reading his lines about the sacrifice of humanity, the loss of vasuda, and the thousands of innocents lost, then all you have to do is imagine BEN STIEN instead of Ronald Reagan, reading those lines. (yeah, it was THAT BAD) im not trying to make the guy feel bad, he just needs to redo it, with better quality clips, and for god's sake, memorize the lines, and say them from the heart, rather than reading them from paper.
i will try to find the video, but there are soooooo many freespace vids.
i will edit this post if i find it again.
in the meantime, for those of us who may be too young, or just didnt watch the news, here is the clip of Reagan and his speech, in full. you can skip to the part im referring to by moving the slider to 4:00 in. that way you get the little context for the line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa7icmqgsow&feature=player_embedded
 (man, i really wish we could ressurect him and give him 8 more full terms. he didnt stoop to all this crap that both sides do today. he was poetic, funny, kind, took no crap, but wasnt mean about it, and bluffed the russians so hard with his "star wars" program, they were trembling under their desks in the kremlin, waiting on a squadron of A-wing bombers with their X-wing backups to come and thermal detonator their butts right outta the KGB! and of course the good ol' american death star would take care of the rest. lol, we could power the death star with all the hot air in DC right now.)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Okay, I suppose that that's enough of this derailment. Original question was answered, now it's just rambling about a little project that I was sure noone but me remembered (No, I had nothing to do with it apart from posting a rather scathing commentary on it).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

ah yes, topic derailment.
what would forums be without it.
only on forums can you click on a topic about an apple pie recipe, and by the 5th post, learn how to build a detonator for a nuclear device.  ;7

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I challenge you to create such a thread. :p

Dear Sir, I accept your challenge.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=77734.new

barring even more of a coincidence, here is a lot closer than i bet you thought it would get, huh? :pimp:

EDIT: umm, goober? i didnt see you online when i posted this, but seriously, someone playing a joke on me? its not nice to jokee to joke the joker.
that creepy post is ... um... creeping? me out. what i wanna know is how someone posted it that fast, and i assume its an admin with a twisted sense of humor given the name anarchist kiss somethign and the title "user does not compute" i just wanna say, i yield.
i whoreheartedly admit defeat in this senseless comedic venture, cause if not you, then somebody here, got me good. i couldnt even respond to nuke before that post popped up. the guy sounds like the CATS(all your base, zero wing guy) defected to russia and joined the KGB. (but never bothered to learn proper english OR russian)
so, here i was thinking i was gonna show you up by finding that damn pie recipe, and i think i just got punked at my own game (and all before the pixels on the post had a chance to dry!) ya know i HOPE it was somebody here, because a coincidence (like actually finding the pie to bomb post) makes you feel lucky, but when they keep coming, and you arent even sure if its a joke or serious, im starting to feel like rod serling is about to start narrating my tale in the twilight zone.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:29:45 am by Volyren Nightsong »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And on that ... enlightening ... note, thread closed.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns