Author Topic: [RELEASE] Music Packs: Synesthetic Somatotype and Three Journeys  (Read 2791 times)

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
[RELEASE] Music Packs: Synesthetic Somatotype and Three Journeys
Hello All! After being approached by Mobius to help out with Series Resurrecta music, I thought that I would try and convert my last two album releases into FS2-compatible formats. Note - there are two in-flight tracks that will come with the next Series Resurrecta release based on these albums.

In the end it was definitely a mixed bag - many of the tracks might not be in-line with the original/traditional Freespace music, but I thought that I would include them anyways. It could be that they are used in a non-Freespace setting, or to suit a campaign that has a unique feel. There are two files - one for each album - and I will give an overview below of each set of tracks; I have also attached a battle track example from two of the three in-flight pieces. I will also say that I have made some significant improvements to my composition skill and toolkit since these albums were released, and hopefully that will be heard in the original music I have written for Series Resurrecta (Relevant Dev Blog Post).

Synesthetic Somatotype Music Pack (.7z)

Three Journeys Music Pack (.7z)

Synesthetic Somatotype
This album consists of tracks loosely inspired by characters from the game Warframe. I purposefully covered a range of genres on this one. Happy to provide more context to the Warframe connection for anyone that is curious - just DM me :)

In-Flight:
Looking to the Skies: heavily synthwave inspired. Analog sounding instruments, fast-paced and uplifting.
Manufactured Psychosis: dark, brooding electronic track. Distorted sounds contrasted by some cleaner sounds, heavy drumming and some creepy FX.

Briefings:
Atomic Instability: uptempo EDM with some volume dynamics varying throughout, plus a couple of moments of bitcrushing action.
Battlefield Medic: mid-paced song with prominent melodies and a positive vibe.
Cloaks and Mirrors: mid-paced song with some female ahh-ing, a sitar-ish guitar sound and busy drums. Written in 9/4 so the timing sounds just a little unusual.
Fortress of Ice: slower, quieter song with evolving sounds and a bell lead-line.
Heat Distortion: metal-ish track that is good to headbang to - lots of guitar and distorted sounds, with some rock/metal drumming and a relatively sinister feel.
Iron Disruption: mid-paced rock with some volume dynamics and heavy drumming, but not a lot of distortion.
Magnificent Attraction: uptempo EDM/trance with a gradual build up and then down.

Three Journeys
This album has three distinct camps: a cinematic piece split into 3 movements (inspired by Easter), a low-key/ambient group of 4 tracks (inspired by parenthood), and a track that I will call cinematic trance (made into an in-flight track for Series Resurrecta).

In-Flight:
Victoria Ultimate (includes victory tracks): hybrid cinematic with emphasis on piano and strings. Generally has a tense feel throughout the ambient/battle tracks, with gradual increases/decreases in volume/complexity. Victory tracks are the conclusion of the Adventu Gloriosum track (used in the briefings)

Briefings:
Adventu Gloriosum: mid-tempo hybrid cinematic with a steady build that never quite peaks.
Contemplate an Ambiguous Future: mid-tempo, moody piece that has some slowly evolving synthesizer parts and bits of melodies, with no drumming.
Emerge from a Safe Shell: mid-tempo, piano and drum-focused track that is relatively wistful.
Live as a New Parent: slightly uptempo electronic track with a prominent, upbeat lead.
Sacrificium Aeternum: slow, dark hybrid cinematic with brooding/marching drums and a bit of an ethereal vibe.
Walk a Bright Path: psybient track with a bright, uplifting melody line and minimal drums.

Original Albums
If you find that you are interested in hearing the full versions of any of these songs, or want an idea of them before downloading, they can be found on most major streaming services (e.g. Spotify, Apple Music) under the artist Peter Gagliardi.
They can also be downloaded or streamed for free on my Bandcamp page:
Synesthetic Somatotype
Three Journeys

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Darius

Re: [RELEASE] Music Packs: Synesthetic Somatotype and Three Journeys
Manufactured Psychosis is amazing! Gives me a STALKER-esque vibe. I'd definitely be interested in using this somewhere, and I would be very interested in hearing more of your stuff in this style.
Sacrificium Aeternum is pretty good as well, with a similar moody, ethereal vibe.

Just out of interest, I felt that Manufactured Psychosis could be even more dark and brooding so I remastered it a little bit. Hope you don't mind!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:09:52 am by Darius »

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Manufactured Psychosis is amazing! Gives me a STALKER-esque vibe. I'd definitely be interested in using this somewhere, and I would be very interested in hearing more of your stuff in this style.

Thank you so much! That one is relatively unique in my repertoire - probably one of the closest is something I just wrote for Series Resurrecta called Ruinous:
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/2npDp

Just out of interest, I felt that Manufactured Psychosis could be even more dark and brooding so I remastered it a little bit. Hope you don't mind!

Awesome! Really like the change you made to give it even more of a darker feel. I think that is the first time I've been remastered or remixed, that is a milestone for sure  :D

On that note, all of my stuff is Creative Commons, so always feel free to to mess with these tracks (as long as they are shared freely in the community  :yes:)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Useless to say that I love these tracks, all of them.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
This is a really cool selection, especially more tabled dynamic music. With no musical background myself, I've tried cutting some existing music up for that end and it's quite a task, but it's really handy. It's not quite a fit for my primary project but I could definitely see using manufactured psychosis in something. Contemplate an Ambiguous Future maybe too.

Listening to the SR music, more them of those might actually fit directly in Warmachine. Lovely stuff.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Useless to say that I love these tracks, all of them.  :)
Not useless; I appreciate it every time I hear this feedback!

This is a really cool selection, especially more tabled dynamic music.
It's not quite a fit for my primary project but I could definitely see using manufactured psychosis in something. Contemplate an Ambiguous Future maybe too.

Listening to the SR music, more them of those might actually fit

It was a relatively quick exercise to convert my existing stuff, so I did it knowing it was less likely to fit the usual Freespace moods. But it was nice to compose FS specific music for SR! Ideally I want to make more new FS stuff, but due to significant (good) events IRL I'm unlikely to be very productive until later in 2021.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Nice :-)

Listening to some of these I was getting a very 'Turrican-esque' vibe, which is a good thing. The timing is spot on too, as I know of someone who is making an unofficial remake of Turrican as we speak. He may be in need of music for it. If you are interested you can look up the project here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/646394448847116 and he has a discord too.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Nice :-)

Listening to some of these I was getting a very 'Turrican-esque' vibe, which is a good thing. The timing is spot on too, as I know of someone who is making an unofficial remake of Turrican as we speak. He may be in need of music for it. If you are interested you can look up the project here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/646394448847116 and he has a discord too.

Thanks! I will take a look - maybe if there's no rush on timing I'll see if they could use a couple of tracks :)