Author Topic: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 6 (17/11/12)  (Read 44830 times)

Offline Valathil

• ...And I would have had a custom title if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
  • Custom Title? Wizards need no Custom Title!
Deferred Lighting Open Beta 6 (17/11/12)
Ok so here's my deferred lighting implementation. I included an SSE2 Release build a patch file for the programmers and the required shader files. As usual you need to put them in the data/effects folder of your active mod to make it work. This version also includes Glowpoint lights but you have to modify your POF's to make it work. Example: in the Glowpoint bank properties edit field in addition to $glow_texture=blabla you can now write $glow_radius_multi=(float) which defines the light radius of the glowlights by multiplying each glowpoint radius of the bank by the multiplier and $glow_color=(red),(green),(blue) seperated by semicolons so the full string would look like : "$glow_texture=glow_yellow;$glow_radius_multi=15.2;$glow_color=255,255,0".

Have fun testing and please report all bugs and performance drops.

EDIT: We had a few issues with the Depth Buffer with ATI cards therefore this is now Beta 2 release. Debug build is included this time.
http://www.mediafire.com/?um9c1ukpq6684u6

EDIT: New Version look further ahead for link.

EDIT: Finally fixed ATI Artifacts look down for new BETA 4.

EDIT: New Workaround for ATI & NVIDIA compatibilty BETA 5 is released further down.

EDIT: Shadows & Deferred Combined Build now available! BETA 6 IS OUT!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:25:48 pm by Valathil »
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃
┃┃┏┫┃┏┳━━┓┏━━┓┃┗━┳━━┳━━┳━━┓
┃┃┣┫┗┛┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┏┓┃┏┓┃━━┫━━┫
┃┗┫┃┏┓┫┃━┫┃┏┓┃┃┗┛┃┗┛┣━━┣━━┃
┗━┻┻┛┗┻━━┛┗┛┗┛┗━━┻━━┻━━┻━━┛

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 1
Excellent.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Maybe I'm an idiot incapable of setting things right, but I see through ships and can fly thought them.
http://pastebin.com/yR6w2wML
Also screens:

If you see what I mean.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Here is an example Karuna pof with altered glowpoint properties for glowpoint lighting. Keep in mind that this pof will NOT work on any build that does not have glowpoint lighting. Don't let it hanging where it doesn't belong, like for example your BP2 folder.

It seems that the lighting doesn't follow the glowpoint itself when the glowpoint is attached to a rotating subsystem.

I tried to keep the effect visible yet subtle, in order to avoid what I call "the christmas tree effect". Will do more pof soon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:06:05 am by MatthTheGeek »
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Valathil

i think it follows in mission but not in lab. Cause lab has its own weird rotation code.

And Kobrar44 if you can fly through ships theres something really wrong cause i didnt change the collision code in the slightest.

I posted this on the main post as well but there is a new Beta out that fixes the ATI problems http://www.mediafire.com/?um9c1ukpq6684u6
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:47:29 am by Valathil »
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Re: Deferred Lighting Open Beta 2
So... I has question.

Although this is incredible, it may create some minor issues. Now obviously this doesnt force anyone to use glowpoints to make their lighting, but being able to cast glows on fighters as they fly through, say, the trenches of the Sathanas would be awesome,but here's the issue: The (unreleased...) sath already has baked glows all over it, and they look good. If I add glow points to the baked glow areas, then ships flying by would get a red glow on them, but it would also create a red glow along with the already baked red glows present, which could look wierd.

So the question: Is it possible to add a property or flag of some sort where the glow point would not light the ship it is attatched to? This way I can add the glow points to the sath without effecting its rather carefully orchestrated glow map, and still light up ships that pass by.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Valathil

Simply put: no sry
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Well damn.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
integrating the shaders into the exe pokes holes in the whole reasoning for having shaders in the first place. having them outside the engine gives you the freedom to change the rendering styles within some degree. provided you are a graphics wizzard.

*edit* post i was commenting on has disapeared, odd.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
Well, yeah, but this is only beta. I asked because I had a feeling like I put them in bad place. And I did.

Offline Valathil

integrating the shaders into the exe pokes holes in the whole reasoning for having shaders in the first place. having them outside the engine gives you the freedom to change the rendering styles within some degree. provided you are a graphics wizzard.

the shaders are integrated into the exe for one simple reason. if you just run the binary with no mediavps and no mods it wouldn't work if there wouldn't be fallback integrated shaders.
┏┓╋┏┓╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┏┓
┃┃╋┃┃╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋╋┃┃

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own

It's a lot more complex than that. We're at a point where the gap between shaders and the EXE graphics code is becoming ever increasingly smaller. As the EXE begins to rely more and more upon shaders to do some really key calculations, the graphics code needs to be guaranteed that the shader code is doing what it should be doing. If submodel vertices are expected to be calculated on the vertex shader that needs to happen or else models will look wrong. If we're handing a bunch of g-buffers to the pixel shader, it needs to use that or else you won't get proper lighting. If we ever implement instancing, the shader needs to know about the per-instance data and the instanceID handed in by the OpenGL driver.

As me, Valathil, and everybody else who works on the graphics code continues to make progress on graphics features, we need to reserve the right to provide a baseline shader. And we'll do that by integrating the shader with the exe.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
It's a lot more complex than that. We're at a point where the gap between shaders and the EXE graphics code is becoming ever increasingly smaller. As the EXE begins to rely more and more upon shaders to do some really key calculations, the graphics code needs to be guaranteed that the shader code is doing what it should be doing.

Will this change the FSO hardware requirements (namely supported OpenGL versions)?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

the shaders are integrated into the exe for one simple reason. if you just run the binary with no mediavps and no mods it wouldn't work if there wouldn't be fallback integrated shaders.

but these are fallback shaders, correct? external shaders take precedence?

It's a lot more complex than that. We're at a point where the gap between shaders and the EXE graphics code is becoming ever increasingly smaller. As the EXE begins to rely more and more upon shaders to do some really key calculations, the graphics code needs to be guaranteed that the shader code is doing what it should be doing. If submodel vertices are expected to be calculated on the vertex shader that needs to happen or else models will look wrong. If we're handing a bunch of g-buffers to the pixel shader, it needs to use that or else you won't get proper lighting. If we ever implement instancing, the shader needs to know about the per-instance data and the instanceID handed in by the OpenGL driver.

As me, Valathil, and everybody else who works on the graphics code continues to make progress on graphics features, we need to reserve the right to provide a baseline shader. And we'll do that by integrating the shader with the exe.

im more intrested in the nuances of working without a fixed function pipeline, not for fs2 but for my other gl projects. so far ive mosly limited myself to fixed function pipelines in old skool gl. i havent ventured into shader land yet (probibly have to write a bunch of other code first, my c++ engine is still line drawn and needs a texture framework/loader and a better model parser, and my lua engine has all that but is limited to opengl 1.3 thanks to the luagl module im using).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:49:07 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes. The built-in shaders are loaded only when no external shaders can be found (although in the case of things like the video format conversion shader, there are no plans to ever make them editable).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Gave it a brief look, the weapon flyby lighting effects are neat
And once a capital ship jumps in, the whole area is basked in an eerie blue glow.

Havent looked at anything with glowpoints so far.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Anyone want to take some video of the coolness and post it?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Nighteyes

This is so awesome! is there an option to control how strong the light is? seems strange that the lasers create an intense light reflection as beams...
does this mean missile explosions and flak will now have lighting turned on for them? Diaspora flak field would look amazing with this...

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
    • Steam
If you set laser color to be sth like 32 00 00, you'll get little light. I guess thats how it works.