Author Topic: Trying to disable the new explosion effects?  (Read 1650 times)

Trying to disable the new explosion effects?
I really like most of the visuals in MV_Effects, but I think I prefer the FS2-style sprite explosions. I have been messing around with Maja and the VP files, and this is what I think I have discovered by trial and error:

Inside MV_Effects.vp, in the "effects" folder, if I get rid of the following files:
* Exp04.eff
* Exp05.eff
* Exp06.eff
* Exp20.eff
* Explode1.eff
* ExpMissileHit.eff

.. then it reverts back to sprite explosions. Also, in the "tables" folder, if I get rid of this file:
* mv_dbrs-sct.tbm

...then the flaming debris effect goes away.

After this, explosions seem to be how I remember them. Occasionally I'm not 100% sure - I sometimes see an explosion and I just get a nagging sensation that there's something not right, like there's still some residual particle effect logic going on intended to be used with the assets I just deleted, but I can't quite put my finger on it, and I could be mistaken anyway.

MV_Advanced does not seem to affect the explosion effects after I have done this.

I also worry that I might have broken something by doing this. The first few missions have seemed fine, and the game hasn't thrown any warnings at me, but I know well that deleting random files can be dangerous, even if nothing obviously bad happens right away.

So I basically have three questions. First, is there an easier way to have FS2 explosions while keeping the rest of the new effects? If not, is there anything else I should do, aside from what I have already done? Third, is there anything I shouldn't have done?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Trying to disable the new explosion effects?
The new explosions are also sprites. And I think you've pretty much done everything you can do.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Trying to disable the new explosion effects?
The "residual" might soft particles. Dunno why would you want to disable them, but IIRC, it was possible to do from the launcher. I'm afraid that any additional effects beside them is hard-coded and can't be disabled, but there shouldn't be too many of those.