Author Topic: The new particle effects system  (Read 4550 times)

Offline m!m

The new particle effects system
A recent commit to the master branch has added the new particle effect system. The idea is similar to my "Particle trails script" I wrote a few years ago but this is tightly integrated into the engine and is built to be much faster.

There is currently no nightly build containing this feature but the next one should contain it. The available effect types is pretty limited currently but it can be easily expanded in the future. Let me know what you think about it or if you find any bugs.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: The new particle effects system
"Particle trails script"
It's pretty great

So I kind of scanned over it all, it looks neat and all that. But I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing how all of these options can be used.
Like for example, can this be used to create cool impact sparkle effects like seen in FEAR? Or like balistic weapon particle impacts as in MWO? (https://my.mixtape.moe/sljawk.webm & https://my.mixtape.moe/wvkquo.webm )
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline m!m

That sort of effect is definitely possible but currently the options are pretty limited. The wiki has an example table which I used for testing these changes which create small particle cones when a BP gauss cannon or mass driver impact the hull of something. The possible effects will be expanded in the future so even if the effects you showed may not be possible currently, they certainly will be possible in the future.

EDIT: I added the documentation for the added weapons.tbl options.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:25:15 am by m!m »

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The August 5 nightly build now released has the particle system in it.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That sort of effect is definitely possible but currently the options are pretty limited. The wiki has an example table which I used for testing these changes which create small particle cones when a BP gauss cannon or mass driver impact the hull of something. The possible effects will be expanded in the future so even if the effects you showed may not be possible currently, they certainly will be possible in the future.

EDIT: I added the documentation for the added weapons.tbl options.
Coo' Coo'
I'll keep an eye out for future development
Urutorahappī!!

Offline m!m

I added a new type of effect that creates a sphere of particles. This can be used in combination with the new $Ship Death Effect option for creating effects similar to my particle script.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Hello, I tried starting my mission for Shattered Stars, one that tests FS2_Open's new particle system. However, it crashed terrible after briefing and before a mission start. It's frustrating.

And when I tried to start a Debug build, I still cannot access it due to the Avast AV checking. Avast reports that the executables are safe.

And, what of custom shaders? Can shaders render particles, as in modern game engines? If so, then why can't you implement the functionality?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And, what of custom shaders? Can shaders render particles, as in modern game engines? If so, then why can't you implement the functionality?

Custom shaders are a bad idea and should not be used.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline m!m

I have no idea what you wanted to say with this. Particles are rendered using shaders. I'm pretty sure that modern game engines do the same thing since there is no other way of displaying things than to use shaders.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
The E, let me tell you that I'm having problems with this nightly build (and subsequent ones). It keeps on being scanned by Avast AV and yet they are clean. While access/execution to them remains denied due to insufficient rights.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

That sounds like an avast problem, not a FSO problem. Avast is very catious about what it calls "very rare files" so any of the recent FSO executables, especially less used ones like FASTDEBUG won't have a lot of samples(or any at all) in their file database.

If you're the administrator on your PC you can add the whole FS2 folder as an exclusion to Avast's file system scan or set it up to let you run "very rare" files.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
That sounds like an avast problem, not a FSO problem.
Yeah, there's literally nothing the SCP can do about Avast being overcautious about our executables.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The E, let me tell you that I'm having problems with this nightly build (and subsequent ones). It keeps on being scanned by Avast AV and yet they are clean. While access/execution to them remains denied due to insufficient rights.

As Frikgfeek and Ralwood said, there is literally nothing we can do about that. Those are problems that you need to solve yourself.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

As Frikgfeek and Ralwood said, there is literally nothing we can do about that. Those are problems that you need to solve yourself.
I've solved it, by excluding the entire FS2 Open folder via the AV. Thanks a lot.

For the crash, I've opened up a thread in the FSO Support section.

Regarding the particle system, are there any plans by the MediaVPs to make use of it? Are they soft particles, or volumetrically rendered? Or rendered by shaders? I know custom shaders are not allowed for this system.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline m!m

Regarding the particle system, are there any plans by the MediaVPs to make use of it? Are they soft particles, or volumetrically rendered? Or rendered by shaders? I know custom shaders are not allowed for this system.
You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a "shader" is. The shader is the part of the graphics pipeline that is responsible for assigning the pixels a color. Everything in our engine is rendered using a shader.

Now, for your other questions. We are currently using soft particles. You have to ask the MediaVPs team if they plan to use these effects.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a "shader" is. The shader is the part of the graphics pipeline that is responsible for assigning the pixels a color. Everything in our engine is rendered using a shader.

Now, for your other questions. We are currently using soft particles. You have to ask the MediaVPs team if they plan to use these effects.
For the time being, the Blue Planet team and I are the only ones taking advantage of it. What about volumetric particle shadows, lighting and smoke (with atmospheric and vacuum conditions)?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What about volumetric particle shadows, lighting and smoke (with atmospheric and vacuum conditions)?

If you want to have these effects in the engine, you should prove your "Visionary coder" description and implement them.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
What about volumetric particle shadows, lighting and smoke (with atmospheric and vacuum conditions)?

If you want to have these effects in the engine, you should prove your "Visionary coder" description and implement them.
Good. This is what I like to do.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Top. Kek.
Urutorahappī!!

If he does try to submit some sort of patch, I know you folks with the SCP will go over it character by character. I wouldn't trust any code he gave me any farther than I could throw a Tri-Met MAX train.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.