Author Topic: BlackWater Operations Needs Your Help  (Read 41640 times)

Re: BlackWater Operations Needs Your Help
Ideally I would like to help so I could see this project finished, though, in the past I've offered to help and didn't deliver squat and also at this time don't have a lot of free time to devote to . . much of anything really. Plus despite making some O-K models in the past, I think my modelling ability is pretty amateurish as I've never taken formal training. That being said, I do have a subscription to Digital Tutors so I may be able to both upgrade my skills to be more clean&efficient and also find some time in the future. I do want to learn some proper modelling as I want to get some starship miniatures created for a tabletop game I also want to create and sell.

So, for now would just want to express interest/support and a desire to help. And if I'm in a better position to help you soon I'll let you know.

For this exact moment I'm on Digital Tutors to learn about scripting/game design so I can hopefully start creating some games (and participate in Ludum dare this weekend).

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I'd like to do one or two models, besides the texturing (I'm just not very good at that.) I would prefer to be paid, but it's not mandatory.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
That's fair enough, have a talk with Raven, see what you can do.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
It might help if you guys gave a general indicator on what level of quality you are looking for with models and textures.

Basically what Blackdove said on that. FSU quality.

Unfortunately I do not have any texturing or modelling skills, but if I may make a suggestion: You should probably focus on finishing and releasing the first Act or so of the campaign. That might get you public attention and momentum and motivate people to contribute to the project.

That's something we've been considering, actually, but no concrete decision has been done, yet.
Even if you can't model\texture, it's ok: we'll need skilled people in other areas (Fredding, skyboxes, effects, sound, etc), eventually.

Could this get posted on Facebook?  I've been told HLP has a FB page.
That's up to Blackdove. :)

you should just put this up on kickstarter :)
I'm afraid this wouldn't qualify. I mean, ask for crowdfunfing for a mod would be kind of weird, no?

Ideally I would like to help so I could see this project finished, though, in the past I've offered to help and didn't deliver squat and also at this time don't have a lot of free time to devote to . . much of anything really. Plus despite making some O-K models in the past, I think my modelling ability is pretty amateurish as I've never taken formal training. That being said, I do have a subscription to Digital Tutors so I may be able to both upgrade my skills to be more clean&efficient and also find some time in the future. I do want to learn some proper modelling as I want to get some starship miniatures created for a tabletop game I also want to create and sell.

So, for now would just want to express interest/support and a desire to help. And if I'm in a better position to help you soon I'll let you know.

For this exact moment I'm on Digital Tutors to learn about scripting/game design so I can hopefully start creating some games (and participate in Ludum dare this weekend).
That's cool, no worries. I've seen some of those Digital Tutors tutorials. They are pretty solid. Same for the Gnomon Workshop ones. I don't know which app you use for modelling, but if it's Max, and you're stuck, drop me a PM and I may be able to steer you in the right direction. :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

That's cool, no worries. I've seen some of those Digital Tutors tutorials. They are pretty solid. Same for the Gnomon Workshop ones. I don't know which app you use for modelling, but if it's Max, and you're stuck, drop me a PM and I may be able to steer you in the right direction. :)

Autodesk Maya presently. Not so much stuck with how to do a model, but still learning the efficient and quality ways to create something instead of my default mode of doing things the hard way

Even if you can't model\texture, it's ok: we'll need skilled people in other areas (Fredding, skyboxes, effects, sound, etc), eventually.

Hello. I'd be willing to do sound design and sound editing. I have some experience with recording music and doing sound design for video game mods. No payment needed.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
That does sound like something we might need. I will contact you in the coming weeks regarding that. There are some loose ends regarding our direction with sound that I need to check up on.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Good to see you Slanker :) Yeah music and sound will come in handy!
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Raven is a god.

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
This is Alpha3 speaking!

So sorry I can't be of any help because I have no skill you could make use of, but be sure I'll try it as soon as this mod becomes available!  :yes:

A+
Jack H.
"...can't wait..."
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage

Hello. I'd be willing to do sound design and sound editing. I have some experience with recording music and doing sound design for video game mods. No payment needed.

I don't know if you saw my thread in the modding section which was also mentioned in this month's newsletter, but I would be willing to create sounds and try and make some music for you if it is needed.

Examples of sounds I have made can be found in my Audio Thread found here.. http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88330.0

If you would like a couple of examples of music I have created in the past you might want to take a look at these, but please bear in mind that the genre when I did these id drum and bass, but I could put my "talent" (haha) to more ambient use if required.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIvmn1OfLs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAofbmlbgbY

Give me a shout if I'm needed! :)
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Myraseth

• Prime evidence of Murphy's Law
You don't have to respond if you're not interested, but I've done some unofficial voice acting in the past, and sadly, that's all I'd be able to give to help except good wishes. My Skype is connected to here, and I can use that to transfer Audacity files (.WAV I believe? I might be able to configure it into something else) for whatever roles you need, and no, I do NOT want your money. I'd do this for free.  :pimp:
The only thing that matters is the goal. Your goal. Nothing and nobody will stand in my way to achieve what I deem necessary.
What about you?

i can fredding create missions for Blackwater Operations
if you need it

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
i can fredding create missions for Blackwater Operations
if you need it

That would be handy, indeed! Could you PM me samples of your previous mission work, as well as how exactly you were involved in those missions? (just fredding, Design, etc)

By the way, we never contacted some of the people who offered their help in this thread. The reason is because at the moment there are certain areas that we're not ready to tackle yet (like voice acting, for example). But we will when the time comes, even if it's 2 years from now :D I'd like to say a big "Thank you!" for those who've been stepping up, regardless :)

Raven is a god.

ive sended you private massege about my missions

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Raven, what specifically do you need help with besides modeling and texturing? I understand you need help with mission design (which unfortunately I am not the most qualified to help with such an endeavor), but I would like to know some specifics to see if there's anything I can do to help.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
Well, eventually we will also need Voice Acting, some table fixes, some sound FX, graphic FX, music. And coding would also come handy, but not crucial, since most of those things would be cosmetic things :)

That's it from the top of my head, bit I might be missing something

Raven is a god.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Well depending on what you need fixing I might be able to help with tables.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline CT27

Well, eventually we will also need Voice Acting, some table fixes, some sound FX, graphic FX, music. And coding would also come handy, but not crucial, since most of those things would be cosmetic things :)

That's it from the top of my head, bit I might be missing something

I only ask this because I saw a poll about this from BWO people years ago concerning voice acting (BWO asked whether people would want a delay in release to implement voice acting or to put it out normally...the vast majority said don't delay it for voice acting):  are you planning to do voice acting for the initial release...or releasing it first normally and do a voice-acted version down the road?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
+1 to CT27's suggestion. If WiH's mammoth VA effort is any indication, VAing is usually a huge pain.

Maybe save VAing for a director's cut?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
This is by no way official, but I don't think we have a definite decision on this. We want to try different development methods, and these may or may not make it possible to take care of VA much earlier than normal. If that's the case, it would be very possible to have an initial release with VA, without delays.

Raven is a god.