Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109183 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
You're very welcome. :)

(Based on your posts, you seem to be a very thankful guy today!)

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
:) yes, I should be, and everyone who enjoys this game and the additions should too, how can I not be? it's volunteer, well done and free, the least I can do is say is thank you, and hopefully in a few years I'll be able to donate to HLP because it's just the right, decent and moral thing to do and I'll very happy to do so. Cheers.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
A suggestion: Instead of the VP SHA-1 I think it'd be better to make a SHA-1 hash of the .7z/.zip file, because it's smaller so faster to process.

I wish there was a tool to download all the .sha files and check all the files in a folder, I think 7-Zip or Total Commander can make batch checking, so I'd like to request to each file gets a filename.sha file with its SHA-1 hash value and all of the files of this release to be compressed in a .7z file, and this file would have a .sha file too, so you'd add 2 links to the release for convenience to check integrity without too much trouble:

1) release_sha-1.7z
2) release_sha-1.7z.sha

I would like all releases to do this for standard, simplicity and efficiency sakes of the integrity checking process. I'm checking several SHA-1 hash generators to see which ones can help automate the .sha file creation, and I'd make a thread about it unless people here don't agree, want to or already have such a tool or feel this process is not needed.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:34:39 am by technopredator »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Have you tried the FreeSpace Open Installer?

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
Never and don't need to, but I just downloaded it and it's cool, it recognized the game but not my current installation: 3.7.2 RC5, MediaVPs_2014 and wxLauncher 0.9.4, I liked that has many campaign download options and the complete game, but it doesn't writes in its website or wiki about MD5/SHA-1 integrity checks, which would be a nice option to select before going to the download window.

Anyway I think my suggestion it'd be a good addition for people that don't use the installer (FSOI) and the FSOI could take advantage of this and use the release_sha-1.7z and release_sha-1.7z.sha links to download the checksums and make the checking for the user.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Installer does hash verification as part of its download/install process.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
Good, that's a necessary and cool feature.

I have more questions if anyone care to answer them:
1)Does FSOI has all the released campaigns/full-games or only some?
2) is it difficult to add them with the checksums?
3) what tool do you use to generate the hashes? what integrity hash algorithm FSOI use? more than 1? I'd think it uses SHA-1 for all the campaign/full-games it supports.

Nobody has a comment or constructive criticism to my suggestion, is it out of place or too far fetched? I think not.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
1)Does FSOI has all the released campaigns/full-games or only some?
Only the ones mod authors have provided installation files for. There are plenty of mods out there that still aren't available through the installer, but at the same time, there are plenty that are.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
2) is it difficult to add them with the checksums?
3) what tool do you use to generate the hashes? what integrity hash algorithm FSOI use? more than 1? I'd think it uses SHA-1 for all the campaign/full-games it supports.

I'm fairly sure the installer has an option to generate MD5 checksums for mod creators to add to their installer configuration files.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm fairly sure the installer has an option to generate MD5 checksums for mod creators to add to their installer configuration files.

Yup, and SHA-1 checksums too.  See the second post of the Installer thread.

Nobody has a comment or constructive criticism to my suggestion, is it out of place or too far fetched? I think not.

We already answered your question.  If you want a tool that does exactly what the FSO Installer does, by all means use the FSO Installer.

Where can i find the extended version of Ancients4 in 480, 720 and 1080p?

In this thread there is only the retail one and in the linked thread there is only the remaster of the retail one. But where i can find the extended version with the Vasuda Prime evacuation sequence in it?

I know it was linked in the 3.4 release thread back then...
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Personally, the one I liked best (and  I wish I could find it) was I saw a version where they blended the evacuation and destruction of Vasuda prime into the ancients cutscene that plays after the same mission.  It's very effective, much more so than just showing views of space while she's talking.

The fall of Vasuda Prime and the merger of that and Ancients was a victim of "It's not retail" syndrome if I am not mistaken.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:45:35 am by BirdofPrey »
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Seems that i mistaken. I found the 3.4 Release thread and there were also no link to this cutscene. Maybe it was linked in a much older version or i get it from another source back then.

Fortunately i found the 480 and 1080p version of the extended ancients4 cutscenes in archives on my external hard disk.
So, i still miss the 720p one.

| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline BirdofPrey

Might have been an earlier version.  I do seem to remember there was a version that had it in there
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In this thread there is only the retail one and in the linked thread there is only the remaster of the retail one. But where i can find the extended version with the Vasuda Prime evacuation sequence in it?

IceyJones was the one who created this cutscene.  It was replaced with MjnMixael's because his was truer to retail and higher quality, but IceyJones's cutscene is still available.  You can find it here.

Offline BirdofPrey

I can accept mentions of quality, though it's still decent, and at least better than retail, but the truer to retail thing is more annoying since it's not like it was invented out of nowhere (it's based on the command briefing animation)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
A suggestion: Instead of the VP SHA-1 I think it'd be better to make a SHA-1 hash of the .7z/.zip file, because it's smaller so faster to process.

I wish there was a tool to download all the .sha files and check all the files in a folder, I think 7-Zip or Total Commander can make batch checking, so I'd like to request to each file gets a filename.sha file with its SHA-1 hash value and all of the files of this release to be compressed in a .7z file, and this file would have a .sha file too, so you'd add 2 links to the release for convenience to check integrity without too much trouble:

1) release_sha-1.7z
2) release_sha-1.7z.sha

I would like all releases to do this for standard, simplicity and efficiency sakes of the integrity checking process. I'm checking several SHA-1 hash generators to see which ones can help automate the .sha file creation, and I'd make a thread about it unless people here don't agree, want to or already have such a tool or feel this process is not needed.

So you are saying, create a list of all files and their SHA-1 hashes, put those in a text file, and then create a SHA-1 hash of that generated text file?  Because, if so, that's bloody brilliant, because then you can just hash the text file almost instantly, and only parse individual files if that check fails.

Goober, does your Installer utilize this trick?

IceyJones was the one who created this cutscene.  It was replaced with MjnMixael's because his was truer to retail and higher quality, but IceyJones's cutscene is still available.  You can find it here.
I can accept mentions of quality, though it's still decent, and at least better than retail, but the truer to retail thing is more annoying since it's not like it was invented out of nowhere (it's based on the command briefing animation)

For reference and convenience for those who haven't seen it (and yes, it was based on a CBANI):

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Perhaps I should say that it's closer to the canonical gameplay of the original.  The FreeSpace Port is a port of the FS1 campaign, not a reimagining.  Even the enhanced music and cutscenes are optional.

There is a difference between "supports X" and "installs X by default".

So you are saying, create a list of all files and their SHA-1 hashes, put those in a text file, and then create a SHA-1 hash of that generated text file?  Because, if so, that's bloody brilliant, because then you can just hash the text file almost instantly, and only parse individual files if that check fails.

Goober, does your Installer utilize this trick?

*facepalm*

No, it is not brilliant; no, it is not a trick; and no, the installer does not do it that way.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:39:13 am by Goober5000 »

That is the stand alone version. But there was also a version that was appended to mjn's Ancients3 cutscene in one whole longer cutscene.
And i am unable to find this version of that cutscene in 720p, because i only have the 480 and 1080p on my external hard drive. :/.

Because the cutscenes are optional, anyway... why not to link also the extended cutscene as additional optional content :).

Offline BirdofPrey

Perhaps I should say that it's closer to the canonical gameplay of the original.  The FreeSpace Port is a port of the FS1 campaign, not a reimagining.  Even the enhanced music and cutscenes are optional.

There is a difference between "supports X" and "installs X by default".
Fair enough.  it's just that I have seen WAY too many discussions when making new, higher quality assets that turn into an arguments over whether or not something is close enough to retail or if Volition would have done that if they made the game today.  You know, the usual.

In a similar vein, what would you say if someone made one of the cutscenes Volition detailed in the FS1 reference bible?  Many of those were cut for time.

I do definitely see not forcing the change on someone, but it would be cool to have those minor changes easier to find.

That is the stand alone version. But there was also a version that was appended to mjn's Ancients3 cutscene in one whole longer cutscene.
And i am unable to find this version of that cutscene in 720p, because i only have the 480 and 1080p on my external hard drive. :/.

Because the cutscenes are optional, anyway... why not to link also the extended cutscene as additional optional content :).
Yeah, I mentioned that one (though was misremembering thinking it was ancients 4).
As I said, even if it's different from the original, I think it is a great cutscene and the voiceover showing the current event that mirrors the ancients fall makes the voiceover more effective, and the solemn music and voice, makes what you are seeing more effective.

Basically the combination is much better than either alone or both one after the other.