Author Topic: Tie missiles  (Read 6220 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
In the OT, there's only the two sets of torpedoes in ANH, both flying straight, and in RotJ there's Wedge's torpedoes, Falcon's missiles and the A-wing missiles, all of them flying straight too.

I don't think they would need to move that much to hit those big stationary targets that they shot at though would they? Well except for the Exhaust Port, which if I remember correctly did move closer as they reached the Exhaust port to fit down the shaft.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
well, I just frame-by-framed Luke's torpedoes entering the exhaust port and it sure looks to me like they execute a right angle turn, you can see both their conical shapes change direction quite clearly (imo :)).  The rest on the other hand I'd agree were running straight only.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Sweet Potatoes those are some maneuverable torpedoes! I bet they could hit a Swamp Rat 60 meters away!

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
That's just Luke throwing himself an alley oop and dunking it with the force.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Must be, the targeting computer sure wasn't doing anything.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline zookeeper

As I always insist: the magnetic field of the exhaust port pulled them in, they didn't turn on their own.

Yeah sounds about right.

That's just Luke throwing himself an alley oop and dunking it with the force.

Now I have that song stuck in my head. Guess Tarkin got dunked on.  :)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
In the old Xwing games they were guided but could also be fired in a straight line without a lock, locking wasn't necessary to fire them and while I know you use mainly the movies as a baseline I think this choice might be because of how they seem to behave in the movies.
I wouldn't be surprised if Lando and Wedge just dumbfired their torpedoes and missiles as they didn't want to waste time and the respective targets were big and stationary as I did that several times in the games (after all why wait for the torps to get a lock when the target is big enough to occupy half your visuals and you have fighters on your tail?), locking was most useful with moving targets that were either fast-moving (like missiles vs fighters or torps vs shuttles) or distant enough to make dumbfiring them too risky, and in later games many capships could destroy your torpedoes more easily if you locked them making dumbfire almost necessary.

EDIT

Also it is possible that the Tie they stole had a missile rack dedicated to mag pulse not unlike the old Missile Boat in the EU had a dedicated missile rack toghether with the standard one.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:09:18 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline aRaven

Actually the missiles/torpedos Wedge fired were guided, since you could hear the lock-on sound on approach, very similar to that of the XWA lock-on sound.

Offline zookeeper

Actually the missiles/torpedos Wedge fired were guided, since you could hear the lock-on sound on approach, very similar to that of the XWA lock-on sound.

The sound effect might be essentially the same as the targeting computer's sound in ANH, but I think it makes more sense to interpret it as a range/proximity/waypoint sound, since you hear the same beeping during all of Wedge's cockpit shots during the DS run. It's a steady beeping during the beginning, then yes, the intervals tighten right before he makes the shot, but the same happens when he's exiting the DS too, when he's clearly not locking onto anything. We never hear the actual lock-on sound, only the beeping, so we can assume it's a more general range/proximity indicator.

So, I'd say he had the reactor as his target and the beeping told him when he's in range, but he never bothered to actually use the targeting computer to get a lock. Then, he set the entrance/exit as a waypoint target of sorts, and the beeping told him how close he is to that.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
but he never bothered to actually use the targeting computer to get a lock.

Because Wedge Antilles is the BEST REBEL PILOT EVAR
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta