Author Topic: Why was the debug window removed?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Yarn

Re: Why was the debug window removed?
The debug window is working better now, and the default size seems right too. If it's not too much trouble, though, having a scroll bar would be nice.

Thanks for reimplementing the debug window!
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline m!m

Unfortunately, a scroll bar is quite a bit of trouble.I'll try to add support for scrolling using the arrow keys and Page Down/Up but a real scroll bar is a lot of work since FSO doesn't have that at the moment.

Oddly enough, I actually expected this to be your reply about the scrollbar question above. FSO does not use any OS native widgets, so a scrollbar would require more work than calling on OS native stuff to make a scrollbar. Perhaps wxWidgets could be brought into play for it, but it would be vastly non-trivial to implement.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline m!m

wxWidgets is not a good solution for the core engine since we don't include it there. At some point we will need a better in-engine GUI framework but at the moment there isn't much we can do about that.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The WMC GUI used by the lab provides some groundwork, although it is still relatively messy. If we could organize it into resembling a proper library, it might make it more attractive to future GUI development.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yes, but it still doesn't contain vertical scrollbars.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
what about that lightweight lib that Swifty mentioned in the chromium-in-FSO thread? I mean, rolling our own seems... time consuming?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Swifty also made a Slider class within the WMCGUI, which we may be able to tweak a bit to make a scrollbar out of.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline m!m

Does anyone have experience with CEGUI? It looks promising after a few minutes of looking over their documentation.